Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
When you only have one axle, it's 47 yrs old and VERY rusty, you're basically having to disassemble/clean/repair or replace/reassemble everything structural and functional -- not to mention the cosmetics -- I agree, why would one NOT spend the <$100 for the new axle itself?

I sure would feel stupid (or should I say, stupider?) to go to all this trouble and expense, then have my ancient axle fail as I'm going down the road!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:13 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Just for looks..... not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
Why not?

Well if an exact replacement can be had and the price was low, I might be in the same position. And what we are talking about is making it look pretty, not because it's needed. On every Airstream I have seen that is over 40, the amount of work needed is not a small task. To add to that amount of work seems ...... well ....... unnecessary for the lack of a better word. And you have answered my question. Thanks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Action,

I'm doing it for looks, but for peace of mind. Plus the springs are saggin a bit so the idea of replacing the springs go hand in hand with an axle. The overall cost is a drop in the bucket considering the amount of work in the project. So again, why not?

Consider that the interior is reusable but the floor and frame are in questionable state. The program is to pop the shell, fix the frame, replace the floor, and while the frame is out and about, have the springs and axle replaced to a modern cast. I'm not going to do this again in this trailers life and considering the overall cost of this work and effort, again it is a nominal fee.

Certainly NOT done for looks. I guess if I power coated the frame blazing red,.... that might for looks

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote