Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

debary , Florida
repairing or replacing axle

Any good websites about how to repair or replace an axle?
jerr1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Read all the way to the end. Very Important.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ect-54805.html

The following thread is for ideas, only, not for computing the axle specs, since I did it wrong (too light, you need about 30% higher max axle carrying capacity than the max weight of the Airstream. Max weight meaning on the axles, not incuding the tongue weight or the weight of the wheels/tires, since they are not sprung [they sit on the ground]).
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...xle-21438.html

Zep
Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

debary , Florida
Thank you!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

debary , Florida
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost approximately? Cause we are very new to airstreams and know nothing and we are purchasing a gutted 76 sovereign 30' and we are trying to price everything and learn as much before we start working on it which will be about three months from now.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I have this quote from the guy who handles Airstream orders for Axis:
The axles will cost $495 each for the 73 Safari with electric brakes & $750 each for the 77 Safari with disc brakes. Shipping will cost $365 for two axles to either location or $590 for four axles to either location. The axles will come completely assembled & include either 10" electric brakes or 12" disc brakes, powder coated axle tubes, shock brackets welded in place, "safety lube" spindles (allows you to grease the bearings without removing the wheels) mounting bolts, lug nuts & an owners manual. If you would like 12" electric brakes, the axles will cost $595 each. The trailers originally came with 2600 lb axles, however the suggested upgrade is 3000 lbs. You can de-rate them as low as 2500 if you're interested. I use Monroe Gas Magnum shock #555003 for this application. They are available at most Auto Parts Stores for about $25 each. Lead time for the build should be 3-4 weeks & shipping should take several days. If you would like to place an order, please send a check to: Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations, 195 Jabez Allen Road, Peru NY 12972.
As you can see, I asked him to look at several options. Axis will not deal with you directly if you ask for Airstream-specific features, like shock mounts and the Airstream mounting bracket. You can get generic Axis axles, including shipping, for a lot less, but the mounting bracket holes won't line up and the axles won't have shock mounts.

For Dexter axles, you'll pay approximately the same, but if there is a dealer near you, you can pick them up there and there is no shipping charge.

If you need help installing your axles, an experienced Airstream mechanic will charge you something like $600.

Zep
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Torsion axles cannot be repaired.

The only model that used 10 inch brakes was the Caravel.

Ten inch brakes, when adjusted perfectly, stop a maximum of 3500 pounds, per axle.

Twelve inch brakes, when adjusted perfectly, stop a maximum of 6000 pounds, per axle.

Today, most owners are switching to "self adjusting" electric brakes, which keeps them at maximum performance.

Generally speaking, the safety lube feature causes more problems than it's worth. All to many owners have "over greased" which then allows the grease to get on the brake linings, rendering them useless.

Airstream uses different rating axles, depending on the length and year of the trailer.

The range that they used is from 2500 pounds to 5000 pounds, per axle.

If you drove to Tampa, there is no freight.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Torsion axles cannot be repaired.

Andy
There was a time, I assume, that torsion axles could have their caster and camber adjusted. I assume this because the service manual (at least 71 and 72) tells you how to do it by bending the axle. I cannot find anyone who is willing to do this in NM. Maybe because of liability, maybe because they would rather sell you a new axle. I have tried Airstream dealers, RV repair and trailer outfits. Maybe mothership still does it, but around here, Zip, Nada.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
There was a time, I assume, that torsion axles could have their caster and camber adjusted. I assume this because the service manual (at least 71 and 72) tells you how to do it by bending the axle. I cannot find anyone who is willing to do this in NM. Maybe because of liability, maybe because they would rather sell you a new axle. I have tried Airstream dealers, RV repair and trailer outfits. Maybe mothership still does it, but around here, Zip, Nada.
The closest dealer that aligns is Oasis, in Tucson.

However, truck tire centers usually can do it as well.

Make sure that you have the alignment specs if you use an outsider.

Andy
Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
There was a time, I assume, that torsion axles could have their caster and camber adjusted. ...
Yep, can't "repair" them. Only align them. I saw a post just last week of someone who had it done at the Mothership. It is a rare thing...buy a new one.

The 77 Safari I'm working on towed great, but one wheel was bent inwards (top out, bottom in) about 12 degrees. I now have new axles. I wonder what the PO hit to do that? I broke a wheel (yes, wheel) once, in Saline Valley, and still didn't hurt the axle.

Zep
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Lake Alfred , Florida
Quote:

Andy
I'm thinking about replacing the axels on my 25' 1986 Sovereign. Does this mean there's shipping charge if you ship to Bates RV?

Scott
Scotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
10" brakes were used on 61-63 Bambi's, 64 Bambi 2's & 65-68 Caravel's.

They were also used on assorted Argosy trailers, tandems included up to 24' in length.

10" brakes are also rated up to 4400 lb capacity, however the backing plate mounting flange requires reinforcement during installation on the spindle. As you can see the 10" components are not the limiting factor on the axle stopping capability, it has to do with the support plate.

10" brakes are used currently in Airstream production & are the Industry Standard for 3500 lb axles.

12" brakes of today are very different from 12" brakes that were commonly installed in the 50's, 60's & 70's. The magnet design, shoe materials & drum mass have no resemblance to the older versions.

12" brakes are used on 5000 lb & 7000 lb axles today. 5000 lb axles have a 6 lug pattern & 7000 lb axles have an 8 lug pattern. This is the Industry Standard for these axle ratings.

The "Safety Lube" system is not a "bearing buddy" that allows you to over pressurize the hub with grease, potentially allowing grease onto the brake shoes. The "Safety Lube" design incorporates a grease fitting (zerk) mounted on the end of the spindle that is accessible through a rubber cover on the dust cap. The spindle is rifle drilled to the inner bearing, allowing grease to flow to the inner bearing first, then out towards the outer bearing & visible at the grease gun tip. As the grease is pumped into the zerk, air is displaced (& the old grease) out around the grease gun tip at the dust cap. This system was developed for boat trailers as a means to displace water in the bearings. As Airstream owners tend to use their trailers more than the typical "white box" crowd, I feel that it is a very worthy option for replacement axles.

All axles built for post 68 Airstream's do not require drilling for the mounting brackets, however there are a few Argosy's that require drilling as their axles configuration was different than the typical Airstream design.

Shipping costs vary depending on the distance from Elkhart, Indiana & the type of service requested. ie Residential delivery, Requires a "lift gate", Freight Terminal pick up, or whether the shipment goes to a Church, School or Hospital. The cheapest is to have them shipped to a "Commercial address".

Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
All the axle threads, all the info. My head is spinning.

Can I buy axles with shock mounts for my 74 argosy 28' that all I need to do is unbolt and rebolt. No welding or hole drilling?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
All the axle threads, all the info. My head is spinning.

Can I buy axles with shock mounts for my 74 argosy 28' that all I need to do is unbolt and rebolt. No welding or hole drilling?
Correct.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Lake Alfred , Florida
Quote:

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotman View Post
I'm thinking about replacing the axels on my 25' 1986 Sovereign. Does this mean there's shipping charge if you ship to Bates RV?

Scott
My first post and I screwed it up.
I meant to say, Does this mean there's no shipping charge if you ship to Bates RV
Scotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
There was a time, I assume, that torsion axles could have their caster and camber adjusted.
There is no caster adjustment on a trailer axle. Camber and tow-in are adjusted by bending the axle tube.

Caster is an adjustment on steerable wheels. It is what is known as "king pin angle". That is the number of degrees the upper and lower ball joints or whatever attachment method used, is offset from the vertical, upper being to the rear of the lower. That's what makes your steering wheel return to the center after going around a corner. It also causes your steering wheel to want to turn to one side or the other when going in reverse.

Camber is the number of degrees the top of the wheel is offset outward from the bottom of the wheel.

Tow-in is the amount the wheels on an axle point toward the center, away from an straight line. This us usually measured in inches, usually 1/8" or less.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotman View Post

Scott
Correct.

Andy
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Upgraded Axles 2004 classic @ 110,000 miles

7343 miles now on new 5000 lb. axles, 16" wheels, and Michelin XPS RIB LT225/75R16E1 115R B tires. Original axles were 4200 lb.
All well, and tires look new. Typical interstate running speed 70-74 mph. According to TPMS, running pressures 4-8 lb. above cold, and temp 4-6 degree above ambient.
Attached is image of the sticker on the new axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axels_201209.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	177115  
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote