Old 05-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Repacking Wheel Bearings

Kimber and I put together some info on our web site on repacking wheel bearings. We took pictures of the process we went through and posted that to the web.

What I would like is for people to take a look and offer suggestions as to what should be included. The next time we go to repack we will incorporate whatever suggestions we can. Also, whatever suggestions we can publish immediately we will.

Our goal is to help make this an easy process for other first timers like we were at this on this try.

Thanks for helping!!!

K & T

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
2014 Mouse count: Buttercup - 0 / Airtini -
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
What I would like is for people to take a look and offer suggestions as to what should be included.

OK; I wouldn't be in a hurry to get Buttercup on the road. Your packing method looks like it might not get the job done. There are a lot of finer points you miss, and I would not want others to follow these directions and believe they are doing the job. My advice, see the site
for the best overall description of the procedure I've come across.

frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada

Thanks for the prompt - albeit somewhat harsh reply. I took a look at the link you suggested and glanced at the information.
What I found lacking is pictures. For the first timer - pictures speak a thousand words. The link you suggested had no pictures at all. Yet the information was basically the same as I presented.

Secondly I never suggest that what I did would be the best way. But it may interest you to know that Buttercup sat 13 years without moving and the grease was hardened in the rotors. In fact what is not displayed is the hardened grease on the spindles and bearings that had to be scraped off with softer metal tools that would do no damage to the spindle, etc...

I cleaned and repacked all 4 wheels BEFORE hauling her home. That trip was 70 miles on mountain roads and back highways. We stopped several times during the trip to check things out and at every stop the wheels were as cool as could be expected - less than 10 degrees over ambient by my estimate - so I stand by my repacking job.

I would also ad that for many vintage AS owners we are not alone when we get our trailer for the first time. We are getting a unit that sat for a long time with little or no maintenance and was stored in the worse of conditions. Not ideal circumstances but one that many of us have discovered. The job has to be done to get the unit road ready for the trip home in a short amount of time. That is also what we did. But I will still stand behind my repacking job even if it was done for the coming year.

Your rig (if I have read some of your other posts correctly) is not vintage unit but rather probably a 2004 Bambi - so, I am guessing, you have not experienced the difficulties of dealing with a unit that has had no maintenance for a sustained period of time. Also, judging by your past bad bearing experiences with your hubs and a lockup (who repacked that for you) I can understand your trepidation to others presenting a simple tutorial for other to familiarize themselves with the process.

The process of repacking is simple and there is no reason anybody can't do it.

And what we were looking for was constructive criticism.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President & Webmaster, TAC NV-2 & NV-3.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Talking Grease out / Grease in

Nice job on the bearings (good comeback too) Love your pictorial too. Your right nothing like a visual display for those that are hesitant to tackle a project! Looking forward to future endeavors! Keep up the good work
'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:18 AM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
Great web display ...

Impressive photo documentation of the process. Nice job ... I'm sure this will help guide the intended audience.

Since others have provided comments relative to the 'packing' process, I offer ancillary comments.

When the wheels are off, it is an excellent time to closely inspect the brake wires, insuring adequate connection. If twist connectors are used, I seal the open end with a caulking compound.

Further, personally I spray a compatible thread lubricant on my shock mount and axle mount fasterners. Some day I may have to dissemble these components and intend to shorten the battle.

Since we are all 'stuck' with the 'castle nuts' that retain the bearings, I feel a bit more attention should be provided to the specific tightening procedure. Further, I highly recommend that ALL cotter pins be renewed and the used ones discarded.

Thanks for taking the time to upload the process. It is informative.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:07 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2000 31' Land Yacht
For only a few bucks, any auto parts store should be able to sell you a pressure bearing packer that will guarantee an air free, solid pack. Much easier and simpler than hand packing.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #7
1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
I agree with 65GT...they don't look properly packed. That may work for a short haul but could quickly be an expensive problem. I've seen inexpensive bearing packers that may help get the bearings packed better. I might also add that wearing latex gloves will help reduce the nasty mess on your hands. Dirty bearing grease is especially difficult to clean up.

also... after replacing the hub (or rotor) and castle nut, I was taught that it's a good idea to give the hub about 10 turns to make sure it gets properly seated and then recheck the castle nut.

I agree that photos speak a thousand words. Nice Tutorial.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
Site Team
, Minnesota
I really like the bearing packer that T Man shows. I tried the one with two cones that screw together-it was more trouble than it was worth.

Great pictorial. Here's another that is very similar but goes into a little more detail on the packing.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:45 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
Nice and informative instructions "ButterCup" everything looks good and the pictures will be a great help for many who may not be as familiar. I must agree that the segment of actually grase packing the bearing does need some attention. 65GT's description is as good as I could have put into words.

Good description on the packing technique 65GT(Leo). I have seen a "mechanic" smear grease all around a bearing before and claimed that was the right way to do it. The idea is to pack or pump the bearing full of grease. I would like to add an additional item to your description for those learning the technique of packing a bearing. If you are re-packing an existing bearing, be sure to "Purge" all the old grease. Begin packing the bearing in one place, soon you will see the old grease begin to purge out. Don't stop, continue packing and you will soon see the purged grease begin to change from the old grease to the new grease. Begin to rotate the bearing slowly while packing until all the old grease has been purged and replaced with the new grease.

Have a wonderful day All!!
I always hand pack my bearings and prefer to do it as you described. I have used the pressurized cone setup and have concluded that I made more of a mess with it than the old way and that I am going to have a greasy mess one way or the other. Besides, that is why I keep a tub of Go-Jo around.
dbm04F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Buttercup; stay cool. You're right; and I guess its because of the fact that a new TT can have such problems with bearings causes me to believe its not all as simple as we may think. At least, I've learned to be very thorough in doing the packing - a process I am still learning and certainly not an expert. From what I've come across, I think its important to describe the inspection process, especially paying attention to the races and spindle as well as bearings; and the right type and amount of grease. The the tensioning of the bearings and tightness of the nut are also important (on the hub that failed on our unit, this nut was as tight as you could get it and may have contributed to failure). Good luck with your photos, having a visual would certainly help many of us.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Thanks to all for the bearing posts

As an inherently non-mechanical type I really appreciate this forum. On the few times I have sought help on projects for a vintage trailer from trailer repair shops, the experience was scary and typically negative. I have used advice and instructions from this forum on projects I never would have attempted without it.

Thanks Buttercup for the original post with pics and thanks to others for the replies. I will be replacing the tires and will re-pack or replace the bearings while I'm there.

TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:30 AM   #12
VAC President
1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Thank all of you who have responded so far. I have come away with one impression I need more information on the process I used.

One thing that is key is that I did inspect everything as thoroughly as I could. With this unit sitting so long I wanted to make sure there was no rust on any surface.

Secondly I took a long time to clean everything! There was a lot of dried on grease in the hubs.

Third (and I am taking note of what you said 65GT) that packing grease means just that pack grease into the bearings. What I didn't describe is that I did spend lots of time packing it into the bearing by working it into both cracks and turning the bearing frequently to help work it in. In addition I did put plenty of grease on the surfaces of the rotor and spindle to be sure that they were lubricated. I don't have an automotive background but I did spend 6 years in the NAVY working in the boiler room (when they used to have boiler room) and I have rebuilt my share of equipment so I feel that probably did an adequate job but like I said I will reinspect.

Actually this might be an opportunity to use a bearing packer to demonstrate what that process is like. I did see the cone packer at the parts store and elected not to get that because it just seemed to be more hassle than it was worth. The one suggested looks interesting so I will take a closer look.

On the subject of gloves I did wear them for the remaining wheels but not the first only because I wanted people to get the sense that you could do this and it is not necessarily the DIRTIEST job you can do to your TT. I wanted people to get the idea that they didn't have to be afraid of the grease.

Based on the suggestions I have gotten so far and will perhaps keep getting I will add more info to the web along with links to the forum for more in depth learning from threads like this one.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #13
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Regarding the bearing packer, if you're only doing a single bearing, it's a hassle. If you're doing the inside AND outside bearings on four or more wheels, they save a TON of time and mess (IMHO). Frankly, last time I had the Behemoth done, I took it to my neighborhood mechanic who did all SIX sets. I think he charged me a whole $60 and I didn't have to get my hands dirty, R&R wheels, lug the wheels around, torque lug nuts, or clean up afterwards! It was worth every penny, and I have enough confidence in his work to know he did it right.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington

Bearing packer photo's are very good. Your trailer is to new for me. Your trailer had a lot of surface rust. When I did my brakes I cleaned and painted the frame and wheel wells. Since my trailer was 29 years old I replaced all the bearings,races,and seals with new. I used hi-temp grease the red stuff and boy is it sticky. Bearing packer makes the job easier. I do like to do it the old way hand packing. Removed the inner cup with a brass drift and hammer. To replace the race I used a bearing and seal driver. I also have a extra set for the road but hope I never have to use them.

Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote