Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Putting AS on Blocks/ Electric brake conversion ?

Greetings all,

Tomorrow I plan on putting my 60 Overlander on blocks in order to do a complete brake job, shocks and axel service. I have read some of the threads on the proper jacking location, there are some knowledgable AS'ers out there and I appreciate all your input. However, I would like to know where is the best placement for the blocks? I would like to block both sides so I can service all four wheels at once. I read a thread that stated to never jack or block the axels. Is this true? If so, where on the frame is the best location?

Also, does anyone have any good info. on converting to electric brakes. I'm in So. Cal. and am close to Inland RV. Or can I use any RV electric brake set up.

Any input would be helpful.

I plan on posting pics of our new 60 Overlander soon and some of the restoration we have done thus far.

Thanks a million

Airhead
airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:23 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
That is correct do not jack by the axle tubes if you do jack the trailer do it at the axle mounting plate.The best way to replace the old brakes is to get new axles with new brakes already installed.The easiest and safest way to lift the trailer is to make two ramps of 2x6's doubled up then pull the trailer up on one axle the other wheels will come off the ground.Then block it in real good and replace one axle at a time.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 07:51 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg176
That is correct do not jack by the axle tubes if you do jack the trailer do it at the axle mounting plate.The best way to replace the old brakes is to get new axles with new brakes already installed.The easiest and safest way to lift the trailer is to make two ramps of 2x6's doubled up then pull the trailer up on one axle the other wheels will come off the ground.Then block it in real good and replace one axle at a time.
That is correct, but if you don't want to replace, or don't need to replace your axles, you can get the hardware from your local RV supply place. Andy also has them, if you want the genuine article. Also, when you do this, it would be a good idea to install a breakaway switch on your trailer. There have been several threads on the switches, how they work, and how to make them work. If you want to replace the axles, it would be a good idea to replace the shocks at that time, it is much easier to replace them with the axle off, but not impossible to replace without.
Expect to pay in the range of $150.00 per wheel to have electrics.
Terry
Old 06-27-2004, 12:48 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead
Greetings all,

Tomorrow I plan on putting my 60 Overlander on blocks in order to do a complete brake job, shocks and axel service. I have read some of the threads on the proper jacking location, there are some knowledgable AS'ers out there and I appreciate all your input. However, I would like to know where is the best placement for the blocks? I would like to block both sides so I can service all four wheels at once. I read a thread that stated to never jack or block the axels. Is this true? If so, where on the frame is the best location?
Also, does anyone have any good info. on converting to electric brakes. I'm in So. Cal. and am close to Inland RV. Or can I use any RV electric brake set up.

Any input would be helpful.

I plan on posting pics of our new 60 Overlander soon and some of the restoration we have done thus far.

Thanks a million

Airhead
You can jack up the airstream on the axle plate in between the wheels. Be careful, though, as you have leaf spring axles and yours might be different from what I have experienced. Jack up one side at a time, and place the jacks near the main frame rails, where the spring shackles mount.
If you hit the underbelly skin with your fist near the frame rails, you will get a slight crease indicating the outline of the rail. I used 2 HD jack stand behind the rear wheel frame section, and 2 on the tongue right where it comes out at the front.

I suggest 12" brakes, getting both backing plates and drums from the same manufacturer. The size of the bearing spindle is of paramount importance here...take exact measurements.
You might shop for complete axles, being easier to just bolt them on the leaf springs. Axles can be made to order and bought at many trailer supply places. You will need to add not only brake wiring, but also 12V to the tongue area for a breakaway switch ( required by law) Make sure and run a 12ga min 12V+ to the tongue from the coach battery for this. It splices in to the brake wiring. I suggest a 30A circuit breaker to protect this line. You can also run a future electric tongue jack from this power supply. Good Luck!!
Old 06-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe

You might shop for complete axles, being easier to just bolt them on the leaf springs. Axles can be made to order and bought at many trailer supply places. You will need to add not only brake wiring, but also 12V to the tongue area for a breakaway switch ( required by law) Make sure and run a 12ga min 12V+ to the tongue from the coach battery for this. It splices in to the brake wiring. I suggest a 30A circuit breaker to protect this line. You can also run a future electric tongue jack from this power supply. Good Luck!!
Good advice on the axles. One thing to check while you are getting parts: If you "upsize" to a bigger axle, you will need new spring plates. And if you need new spring plates, you may need to take off the old shock mount and weld them onto the new spring plates. And a lot of spring plates won't fit the old wider leaf springs. It's not a big deal, just measure everything carefully before you start ordering up parts.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote