View Poll Results: Axle Replacement by year....
'60-'69 vintage - Replaced them 26 16.67%
'60-'69 vintage - Need to replace them 20 12.82%
'60-'69 vintage - My axle(s) are fine 12 7.69%
'70-'79 vintage - Replaced them 24 15.38%
'70-'79 vintage - Need to replace them 25 16.03%
'70-'79 vintage - My axle(s) are fine 32 20.51%
'80-'89 vintage - Replaced them 0 0%
'80-'89 vintage - Need to replace them 1 0.64%
'80-'89 vintage - My axle(s) are fine 10 6.41%
I don't know... 6 3.85%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2003, 04:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
DPeakMD's Avatar
 
1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 472
Images: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Great Idea with the poll, Safari Tim!

Our '72 Sovereign needed the axles replaced. It's made a big difference in towability and ride quality. I have a lot more tire clearance. My wife was following the trailer in her truck on the way to and from the shop and noted that the trailer seemed to be bouncing a lot more going over bumps, whereas before, it was probably just bottoming out. There's some spring there now!

I disagree with Pick, however. The roads in Ohio are GREAT compared to PA and NJ. We just got back from the Statue of Liberty Rally. Those roads were awful! The toll roads are worse than the interstates, too! You'd think they'd put that money to good use and fix them up some. One lady's motorized wheelchair platform almost fell off the back of her motorhome on our caravan through PA and NJ.

We got the axles loaded with brakes. I found the castellated nuts were installed too tight and the brakes needed to be tightened immediately. So be sure and check those things right away if you get new ones.
__________________

__________________
Dallas Peak, MD 'That 70's Guy!'
VAC 1VP President
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 09:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 507
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
When did airstream go to the rubber bushing axle ?

I would like to try to interpret Safari Tim's data as a predictor of when I should expect my 1987 to need new axles.
__________________

__________________
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 432
Post Need New Axles?

For all you folks that need new axles, be sure to check out this thread:



The Minuet is at the Axle Doctor!
__________________
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,981
Images: 41
I don't think our '85 needs axles, 'cause they are at the same slightly upward angle as all other '80's era Airstreams I have seen (quite a few). I know the traditional wisdom communicated on the Forum is that if the angle is upward, the axles are shot. That probably does apply to the 60's & 70's models, but I question if it applies to the 80's, 90's and beyond. In addition to the fact that I have never seen an 80's Airstream with downward axle angles, and the fact that with upward axle angles 80's Airstreams show the correct amount of tire in the wheel weels, is the fact that the tongue heights listed on the Weights & Measures list on the Airstream company web site decreased from 19.5" to 18.75" between the 1980 and 1981 model years.

My hypothesis is that this tongue height decrease corresponded to an axle angle change. I am guessing that at this time Airstream changed from using 22.5 degree Henshen axles to the 10.0 degree axles. These numbers are the "no load" angles. According to the Henshen web site, for the 22.5 axle, the "normal" loaded position is 0 degress, while for the 10.0 degree axle, the normal" loaded position is upward 12.5 degrees. I'm not sure what load is used to determine the "normal" angle, but this seems to concur with what I have observed on 80's Airstreams.

And while I'm at it, since Thor bought Airstream in 1980, could this be one of the first changes they implemented? I assume the reason would be to lower the coach height, possibly to improve stability (lower center of mass) or to improve ease of entry.

I have never heard anyone else talk about this possible change and the impact it would have on determining whether 80's axles are OK or not. I think I am correct. What do you think?
__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:04 AM   #19
Old Paint, rolling again.
 
sfixx's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 556
Images: 12
Rivet 'nuther rubber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
The 'I don't know' choice should be I don't know if they need to be replaced....
Hi Tim, can you please help out the "I don't know" people and review the indications that one's axle needs replacement. Is it just the resting angle of the swing arm?

Thanks,

Steve
__________________
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #20
Moderator dude
 
Action's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,069
Images: 13
Steve,

Safari Tim has not been in this thread for almost 2 years.

>>>>>>>Action
__________________
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #21
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Hi Tim, can you please help out the "I don't know" people and review the indications that one's axle needs replacement. Is it just the resting angle of the swing arm?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve, I can help you there.
Basically, if you crawl under your trailer, and look at the axle arms, and they seem to be pointing down, or level, you axle(s) is good. If the axle arms look like they are starting to point up, you need a new one(s).
If one side of the trailer is noticeably lower than the other side, you probably need an axle(s) A slight amount of height differential is normal, due to the difference in appliances and their weight side-to-side.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #22
Old Paint, rolling again.
 
sfixx's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 556
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Steve, I can help you there....
Thanks Terry, I knew it was an old thread but it beats starting new ones all the time. Apparently I'm okay for now with slightly down arms. We'll see how it does after a summer on it's wheels

Steve

If my axle droops more than the wheels are sunk into the mud does that make me a redneck
__________________
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #23
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Thanks Terry, I knew it was an old thread but it beats starting new ones all the time. Apparently I'm okay for now with slightly down arms. We'll see how it does after a summer on it's wheels

Steve
I have seen another Argosy that had "good" axles, suddenly go to almost bad ones, just by starting to tow it around after it sat for an extended period. Hopefully yours will not be another one, axle are expensive.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #24
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
 
Safari Tim's Avatar
 
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,921
Images: 35
Steve,

Most people use this article from Inland to help determine about their axel condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Hi Tim, can you please help out the "I don't know" people and review the indications that one's axle needs replacement. Is it just the resting angle of the swing arm?

Thanks,

Steve
__________________
-Tim
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Hi Tim, can you please help out the "I don't know" people and review the indications that one's axle needs replacement. Is it just the resting angle of the swing arm?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve
Further axle info, great resource.
http://inlandrv.com/articles/dura-torque-axle-92001.htm
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #26
Old Paint, rolling again.
 
sfixx's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 556
Images: 12
That just about covers it all. An excellent article Thanks alot

Steve
__________________
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 77
Quote:
I don't think our '85 needs axles, 'cause they are at the same slightly upward angle as all other '80's era Airstreams I have seen (quite a few). I know the traditional wisdom communicated on the Forum is that if the angle is upward, the axles are shot. That probably does apply to the 60's & 70's models, but I question if it applies to the 80's, 90's and beyond. In addition to the fact that I have never seen an 80's Airstream with downward axle angles, and the fact that with upward axle angles 80's Airstreams show the correct amount of tire in the wheel weels, is the fact that the tongue heights listed on the Weights & Measures list on the Airstream company web site decreased from 19.5" to 18.75" between the 1980 and 1981 model years.

My hypothesis is that this tongue height decrease corresponded to an axle angle change. I am guessing that at this time Airstream changed from using 22.5 degree Henshen axles to the 10.0 degree axles. These numbers are the "no load" angles. According to the Henshen web site, for the 22.5 axle, the "normal" loaded position is 0 degress, while for the 10.0 degree axle, the normal" loaded position is upward 12.5 degrees. I'm not sure what load is used to determine the "normal" angle, but this seems to concur with what I have observed on 80's Airstreams.

And while I'm at it, since Thor bought Airstream in 1980, could this be one of the first changes they implemented? I assume the reason would be to lower the coach height, possibly to improve stability (lower center of mass) or to improve ease of entry.

I have never heard anyone else talk about this possible change and the impact it would have on determining whether 80's axles are OK or not. I think I am correct. What do you think?
Good questions. I've made the same observations with my 1981 Excella II. Does anyone have any input on these 80's axles and how they should be positioned? Thanks, P.
__________________
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
Coloradobus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 784
Peter and Denise, Following what you have posted above, the normal angle for a 22.5 degree axle is "0" degrees loaded, our Globetrotter is perfect. I just ordered a "NEW" Dexter axle with a 22.5 degree angle. Is it going to sit close to "0" degrees as well after we install it???? Like our original??:-((
__________________

__________________
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duratorque Axle Replacement Andy R Axles 18 03-19-2017 09:54 PM
Axle replacement finished uwe Axles 55 11-05-2011 11:21 AM
Axle Replacement ??? FC54 Axles 6 10-10-2003 06:01 PM
Axle replacement question-are they really worn out? oldvws Axles 1 12-30-2002 09:04 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.