Old 09-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Originally Posted by 1963tradewin View Post
My 1/2 ton Ford has all the bearings sealed. The reason I asked is when I brought the Tradewind to the factory in Ohio before I left I wanted to get a picture next to the building. I snapped my pictures, got her turned around. I was heading out of the lot. Immediately she started crying like she didn't want to leave lol. Anyhow it was my roadside bearing. I got freaked out and drove to that gas station right next to Airstream. I greased the ez lube on both, and the noise stopped. I was on my way to Nashville stopped in Kentucky her grease was not looking good. I called a couple buddys who said just keep checking it and greasing it at every fill up. Got to Nashville and had some trailer place repack as I have to much into her to risk it. Bearings were fine along with shaft, but the grease looked like slime. They told me every 800-1000 miles. I thought every 3000 as this is when I pack my ball joints after oil change. Thanks for clarifying everyone.
IMHO, 800-1000 is extermely excessive and unnessary. I think 3000 is too, for that matter.

dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
But for those who are not old enough to remember when the front spindles on a car or truck were the same as those used on a trailer my comment still remains the same. As for the type of grease used to pack bearings I don't know of any changes in wheel bearing grease in the last 60 years of driving other than the temperature ratings have been raised to support the heat generated by disc brakes.
Now you know the best grease on the planet.

r carl is offline   Reply With Quote