Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
So, what am I going to do? Order some self-adjusting 12" backing plates from my favorite supplier in nearby Corona and hope they fit. Otherwise, I've got much more tiring (and costly) decisions to make about axles...

I am not sure what you want to do. You have all of this data which is good for future use. Are there components that need replacing? If you you have an idea of the requirements of replacement parts for a 53 year old trailer.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Monterey , California
I'm going through this dilemma now as well. I have a 59 Tradewind with 36" eye to eye springs. The local trailer place says why not standardize the leaf springs to 26" and they have the hangar kit to go with them. All I have to do is weld them on myself. I'm a little concerned about using shorter springs because the load isn't spread out on the frame as much, however boxing may take care of this. Another consideration is where ever those hangars go, there should be a cross brace going across to the other side of the frame. Look under your truck in the back and you'll see this. I understand that this stuff has worked for 50 years, but I must be related to that Murphy guy...and we travel on some remote roads, just like the rest of you.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #17
Site Team

, Minnesota
I have a '59 Tradewind also. I would never go to shorter springs on the basis of what the local trailer guy wants to sell you. You are already at the limits for a single axle trailer.
If you need to replace the springs, either move up to a big torsion axle, or go to a spring shop and they'll fix you up with something like the original.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I have a '59 Tradewind also. I would never go to shorter springs on the basis of what the local trailer guy wants to sell you. You are already at the limits for a single axle trailer.
If you need to replace the springs, either move up to a big torsion axle, or go to a spring shop and they'll fix you up with something like the original.
Yes, I agree. Get the 36" ones rebuilt. Even though the 26" ones are dirt cheap, I would rebuild what exists, rather than changing the frame stress points after it has been moving around for 50 years.

I am still confused as to why mine had only 26" springs, since Pacers were supposedly made solely with leftover production parts, but I can't find any other leaf springs from that era that aren't 36". Even the travelers and equivalent 18 footers that I have seen had 36" springs, so it wasn't a size issue.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Just to follow up on this thread, Inland had the 12" Dexter self adjusting backing plates in stock, and I brought one of my drums to test fit. It seemed close, but I decided worst-case scenario I could take my drums to a machine shop to get the lip taken off. Took them home and installed them yesterday. They fit like a glove, and I can now stop on a dime.

I am so thankful that the dimensions on SOMETHING in this world hasn't changed in 52 years.

I have pictures on my thread if you are interested. Link in my signature.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote

« Which axle? | Top | 8-Lug »