Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Organizing a group buy to encourage dexter.

I am interested in seeing how many folks out there would like to take part in a group buy with dexter axle. As it stands right now, for me it is too questionable to purchase their axles considering the brake size issue as well as the bolt pattern issue.

But on the other hand, since they are much more affordable and they have a factory near me I would be thrilled if they would just be encouraged to take the jump on making the perfect axles for us.

I'm not sure how many confirmed buyers they will need, but considering the number of members out there like me who might like a more affordable option I thought I would ask.
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandfly View Post
I am interested in seeing how many folks out there would like to take part in a group buy with dexter axle. As it stands right now, for me it is too questionable to purchase their axles considering the brake size issue as well as the bolt pattern issue.

But on the other hand, since they are much more affordable and they have a factory near me I would be thrilled if they would just be encouraged to take the jump on making the perfect axles for us.

I'm not sure how many confirmed buyers they will need, but considering the number of members out there like me who might like a more affordable option I thought I would ask.
I just got a quote from Colin Hyde and was thrilled with everything in the package. The concern over the cost of axles was one of the things that put me on the fence about buying my airstream. I am placing my order next week. If it goes as well as I expect, I may just buy another trailer. Of course, now I have to figure out what wheels and tires to buy since I have the old split rims.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have put Dexter axles on two airstream trailers.

What are you trying to order that you're not getting?

Indeed I would look at Axis Axles now if I were doing the job again but I have been more than happy with the Dexters. They weren't available when I did the first axle job and didn't have the better down angle option I wanted with the second axle job.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
To clarify, I spoke with the engineering dept and they said the 12" brake is already in the works but that the cost of creating the tooling to make them bolt on to axles prior to when they started making the oem axles for airstream costs too much.

Maybe with a large number of confirmed buyers they will o ahead with the investment in the tooling.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy
I have put Dexter axles on two airstream trailers.

What are you trying to order that you're not getting?

Indeed I would look at Axis Axles now if I were doing the job again but I have been more than happy with the Dexters. They weren't available when I did the first axle job and didn't have the better down angle option I wanted with the second axle job.
From perusing the archives concerning axle choices I read that the 3500 pound axles 1) require drilling and welding 2) make you downgrade to a 10" brake.

I just hate to compromise and think it would be great if they would just make it fit and work perfect.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
_

. , .
this is one of the very FEW attempts at a group buy thread here...

it's sorta odd that it happens so rarely, given how often these occur on most enthusiast forums.

________

still

u might check with the a/s customer service/parts folks...

triple axle trailers get 3500 or 3800 lb alxes (i think) and come with 12 ? inch brakes...

at least they did while still in regular production.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Fishnfly,
Last year I put Dexter's on my trailer which seems to be the same trailer you have according to your profile.
Yes I did have to bore out 4 holes on the axle mounting plates and weld on the shock mounts. It wasn't a big deal for me because I have the tools. The shock mounts that Dexter provided are engineered for the 22.5* axle. I ordered them loose so I could place the mounts in the correct position.
Anyway,
I ordered:
  • #11 axle - this was an upgrade to the original. Everything was smaller on the old axle. The new axle comes with larger tube, larger outer wheel bearings and larger spindle.
  • 12" electric drum brakes (the original axles only had 10" brakes)
  • Went from a 3,250 lb axle to a 3,500 lb axle (3,500 is the most you can de-rate a #11 axle.)
  • 32.5* down angle
I'm not saying you have to order the Dexter's since there is a viable and probably better alternative with Axis now. It was a different game last year.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
I just talked with Dexter and Axis for replacement beams for my 78 Tradewind with disc brakes. I met the Dexter guys in Elkhart, they are real good and know their stuff. They couldn't, however, downrate their #11 beam to 3,000 lbs. I needed their #11 beam to give me the correct spindle size to re-use the original airstream disc brakes.

Dexter sales v.p. told me they were evaluating the vintage airstream replacement market (1978) to determine if it was big enough to warrant their investment to get into it.

I then talked with Axis (they are in Elkhart IN as well). Axis has the old Airstream drawings. They built my beams as drop-in replacements. Holes the correct location, shock mount welded on, 3,000 lb rating, big spindles for the original disc brakes.

I worked with Shannon Mowery at Axis customer service. She is pretty good to work with.

John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
I started the process of contacting axis. How does their price compare to henschen?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Henschen does not exist any more. Some of manufacturing machinery was sold off to Axis.

Getting a group order is a function typically done by a distributorship, dealership or retailer. It has not been profitable for a company to do so because one does not exist.

>>>>>>Dave
Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Action, thanks for letting me know. It doesn't look like there is much interest anyway. If there was interest I didn't want to manage it, just to be able to advise dexter that if they put the money into the tooling so we can buy bolt ins that are half price of henschen we will make their investment worth it.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:

They have a factory near here? I live in ATL too. Would like to hear more. Also there is an Axis dealer in Cumming I have heard about Country Boy Trailers.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Action, thanks for letting me know. It doesn't look like there is much interest anyway. If there was interest I didn't want to manage it, just to be able to advise dexter that if they put the money into the tooling so we can buy bolt ins that are half price of henschen we will make their investment worth it.
They would no longer be half the price, since Axis will allow others to sell their axles, and the new post-"exclusive one dealer only" prices are much more in line with Dexter.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
That is great to hear if the prices have come down. I will be getting back to the axis rep soon.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/our_locations
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I'd like the bigger brakes, but my Safari only needs a pair of 2,000 lb axles. Right now I've got the orginal disks, but one of the axles is bent slightly and the rubber is hard in both of them. Still tows great.

I had a good experience working with Axis 5 years ago, but something went wrong with the order and I felt like the first axle was under strength. They replaced it, but upped the load bearing too much, which resulted in a hard ride. Right after that they quit doing individual orders. I'm glad to hear they are back in the game.

Zep
Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Fishnfly,
Last year I put Dexter's on my trailer which seems to be the same trailer you have according to your profile.
Yes I did have to bore out 4 holes on the axle mounting plates and weld on the shock mounts. It wasn't a big deal for me because I have the tools. The shock mounts that Dexter provided are engineered for the 22.5* axle. I ordered them loose so I could place the mounts in the correct position.
Anyway,
I ordered:
  • #11 axle - this was an upgrade to the original. Everything was smaller on the old axle. The new axle comes with larger tube, larger outer wheel bearings and larger spindle.
  • 12" electric drum brakes (the original axles only had 10" brakes)
  • Went from a 3,250 lb axle to a 3,500 lb axle (3,500 is the most you can de-rate a #11 axle.)
  • 32.5* down angle
I'm not saying you have to order the Dexter's since there is a viable and probably better alternative with Axis now. It was a different game last year.
Same here...Dexter was very accommodating to make the axels the same way. They will mount the shock brackets on 22.5 down angle, just not the 32.5. I got the 32.5's so I will have to weld my own shock mount to the axle. There is actually a Dexter modification number when ordering the axle for the shock mount. PM me ans I will look it up in my records. Key with Dexter is finding hte right dealer to order through. Mine came in wrong the first time because the dealer made a mistake with the order. The Dexter prices include shipping to a dealer so if you can find one near you to pick up you will save $$$$. In my research Dexter was the least expensive, however you have to do you research to make sure you and your dealer are very clear on what you are ordering. Dexter was about the same $$$ as Axis but I had to pay shipping with Axis. As I have said here before if I had the money I would have purchased axles from Inland thats the easiest and surest way to get the right axle. I couldnt spend as much on the axles as I paid for the trailer (almost) so I did alot of research here and PM'd others that had used Dexter for advise before I ordered. Good luck!
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
For a short time Axis had a plant in N Georgia. It closed unfortunately for us locals.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Alansd,
Al-Ko Kober has an axle plant in Tifton, Georgia. I have compiled some axle information and price quotes on "My very own Axle thread"

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Excellent thread top. Thanks for putting all that together. I was impressed with Colin as well.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #20

1970 27' Overlander
Crownsville , Maryland
Count me in, but I'd say the ideal Dexter axle would be a #11 de-rated to 2800 lbs (dexter won't do this currently), because the brackets, spindles, and cross tube "beam" size is closer to the original. I have already pulled one of my axles and am researching and shopping.

Seems that Dexter isn't a very cheap alternative as it was in the old 2006 threads, or maybe my local dealers are marking up the prices a lot. They are ending up around 450-500 total apiece and they have 10" drums and lighter spindles. The brackets and cross tube diameters are smaller too and that's without shock mounts.

At least with Axis (via Colin Hyde) for around 200 more each you can get an upgraded Axis with larger spindles, shock mounts, and 12" drums and you don't have to support the monopoly (cheaper too).

I'd like to see Axis make the same axles that Inland sells available to other resellers too.
bsnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
group buy