Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I'd like the bigger brakes, but my Safari only needs a pair of 2,000 lb axles. Right now I've got the orginal disks, but one of the axles is bent slightly and the rubber is hard in both of them. Still tows great.

I had a good experience working with Axis 5 years ago, but something went wrong with the order and I felt like the first axle was under strength. They replaced it, but upped the load bearing too much, which resulted in a hard ride. Right after that they quit doing individual orders. I'm glad to hear they are back in the game.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Last year I put Dexter's on my trailer which seems to be the same trailer you have according to your profile.
Yes I did have to bore out 4 holes on the axle mounting plates and weld on the shock mounts. It wasn't a big deal for me because I have the tools. The shock mounts that Dexter provided are engineered for the 22.5* axle. I ordered them loose so I could place the mounts in the correct position.
I ordered:
  • #11 axle - this was an upgrade to the original. Everything was smaller on the old axle. The new axle comes with larger tube, larger outer wheel bearings and larger spindle.
  • 12" electric drum brakes (the original axles only had 10" brakes)
  • Went from a 3,250 lb axle to a 3,500 lb axle (3,500 is the most you can de-rate a #11 axle.)
  • 32.5* down angle
I'm not saying you have to order the Dexter's since there is a viable and probably better alternative with Axis now. It was a different game last year.
Same here...Dexter was very accommodating to make the axels the same way. They will mount the shock brackets on 22.5 down angle, just not the 32.5. I got the 32.5's so I will have to weld my own shock mount to the axle. There is actually a Dexter modification number when ordering the axle for the shock mount. PM me ans I will look it up in my records. Key with Dexter is finding hte right dealer to order through. Mine came in wrong the first time because the dealer made a mistake with the order. The Dexter prices include shipping to a dealer so if you can find one near you to pick up you will save $$$$. In my research Dexter was the least expensive, however you have to do you research to make sure you and your dealer are very clear on what you are ordering. Dexter was about the same $$$ as Axis but I had to pay shipping with Axis. As I have said here before if I had the money I would have purchased axles from Inland thats the easiest and surest way to get the right axle. I couldnt spend as much on the axles as I paid for the trailer (almost) so I did alot of research here and PM'd others that had used Dexter for advise before I ordered. Good luck!

MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
For a short time Axis had a plant in N Georgia. It closed unfortunately for us locals.
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Al-Ko Kober has an axle plant in Tifton, Georgia. I have compiled some axle information and price quotes on "My very own Axle thread"

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Excellent thread top. Thanks for putting all that together. I was impressed with Colin as well.
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
1970 27' Overlander
Crownsville , Maryland
Count me in, but I'd say the ideal Dexter axle would be a #11 de-rated to 2800 lbs (dexter won't do this currently), because the brackets, spindles, and cross tube "beam" size is closer to the original. I have already pulled one of my axles and am researching and shopping.

Seems that Dexter isn't a very cheap alternative as it was in the old 2006 threads, or maybe my local dealers are marking up the prices a lot. They are ending up around 450-500 total apiece and they have 10" drums and lighter spindles. The brackets and cross tube diameters are smaller too and that's without shock mounts.

At least with Axis (via Colin Hyde) for around 200 more each you can get an upgraded Axis with larger spindles, shock mounts, and 12" drums and you don't have to support the monopoly (cheaper too).

I'd like to see Axis make the same axles that Inland sells available to other resellers too.
1970 Overlander Land Yacht 27'
Equal-i-zer hitch, Kipor 3000Ti Generator
03 Dodge Cummins 2500 Quad Cab Long Bed
bsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
When I ordered mine, Dexter told the shop the lowest downgrade for #11 was 4000#. The #10 has the same size tube but 10" brakes.
Get right or get left, and have a blessed day !

lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
My original reason for this whole thing was that I was focusing on old discussion threads. I thought the only viable alternative out there was from henchen sp? . After talking to Colin, I think that is my clear choice. I also coincidentally heard Mr. Hyde on a Airstream podcast and certainly like the idea of helping out all the businesses out there who add to the airstream community. If dexter had the perfect setup for a lot less I may be persuaded, but I doubt it is going to get "much" less expensive than Colin.

mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote

group buy