Old 06-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I believe the Equal-i-zer uses bars of different cross section dimensions to provide the different stiffnesses... therefore you cannot just change bars. The sockets that the bars plug into are sized for the bars. Perhaps new sockets could be purchased, or a machine shop could make a pair of adapters that the lighter bars would fit into, and the adapters would fit into the larger sockets.

I recently re-torqued the bolts that hold the bar sockets onto my hitch, and found they were WAY LOOSE. Apparently the bottom of the hitch casting and the sockets themselves wear away while providing the friction effect, thus loosening the assembly. The Equalizer is a self-destructing device! Upon re-torquing to spec, the sockets turn much more stiffley now(presumably providing more friction?) I always try to keep the socket-to-casting area, and the hitch ball itself, clean and lightly greased.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #30
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I believe the two lighter sets of bars are interchangeable. The heaviest bars, I believe are not.
Having said that, call Equalizer direct, their customer support awesome.

The hitch bolts, and most other bolts, should stopr stretching (loosening) after some use...

Old 06-13-2006, 10:46 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
...The hitch bolts, and most other bolts, should stopr stretching (loosening) after some use...
Do you think it's the bolts stretching, or is it the sockets and casting surfaces wearing? My hitch is showing wear there.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Re-tightening is GOOD!

Dan & Bill -

I too found loose-ish parts after the first really long pull. ABQ to Michigan. Checked all along at every stop.

2 weeks in Michigan. Then back to ABQ via Mt. Rushmore. Checked again at every stop.

Once I got home and parked. I checked again.

Loose-ish.

What was different??? NO IDEA.

I too noticed that there was some wear on the 'saddles' where the WD bars ride on the A frame. Guess that is a normal item. That is what EQ HQ told me. I will get many more miles out of the setup before I get anywhere close to wearing the thing out.

I WILL HOWEVER be continueing to check hitch piece tightness at EVERY stop - for the life of the hitch. Torque wrenches rule!!!

Axel
Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #33
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I agree with Silvertoy;just carry a tq wrench and keep checking(only takes a minute, and is well worth the peace of mind). I also agree that the wear you see is probably normal, although after using an Eq for 3 season now, I don't really see any wear on mine. I do put some white grease on before each tow...
Old 06-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #34
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
When it comes to tools, I have two left hands. What would be the appropriate sized torque wrench? There wasn't one available on the Equial-i-zer web site. I'll stop at Sears and get one tonight and check the lugs as well...anyone know off the top of their heads what size socket they take?

I have ordered the thin walled socket...that one socket was over $35.00! But that is the cost of doing business as was said earlier.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I hope it will hold torque longer than each stop! I was thinking that checking torque once per season, or once per trip would be enough... maybe not!

I have both 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive click-type torque wrenches from Sears. I don't remember the socket sizes, but you could just buy a socket set (non-metric) and be ready for most anything. Be sure to get sockets whose drive size(s) matches the torque wrench(es). A breaker bar of 2' or longer would be handy for the hitch ball.

- Socket bolts need 45 - 60 ft/lbs
- 3/4" bolts that hold hitch to drop bar 200 ft/lbs max.
- Hitch ball ?
Old 06-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #36
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
ball.

- Socket bolts need 45 - 60 ft/lbs
- 3/4" bolts that hold hitch to drop bar 200 ft/lbs max.
- Hitch ball ?
Hitch bal:

1" shank - 250 ft-lb
1.25" shank - 450 ft-lbs.

I scored a 3/4" drive breaker bar at Sears for $20, and just bend it as hard as I can.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #37
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
I hope it will hold torque longer than each stop! I was thinking that checking torque once per season, or once per trip would be enough... maybe not!
I check with the tq wrench beginning of the season (of course) and after any long tow (more than a couple hundred miles), I haven't found it necessary to check after every single tow. A quick once-over after unhitching suffices for me after short trips (I fold the bars back with a good kick to prevent bumping into them all week-end) this is usually a good indication if anything has come loose...
Old 06-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #38
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I needed the info on ft/lbs. I don't have a clue how they are sold. I have a socket set, but they propbably aren't deep enough to go over the lugs. So a second set for the Airstream couldn't hurt any way. Thanks guys.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #39
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, I tightened the lugs to the upper end of the recommended torques (110-120 ft-lbs.). They were probably all in the lower end of that range as they didn't move more than a couple of degrees.

The redistribution of load in the trailer seems to have really paid off. I am going to have the alignment checked on the truck to make sure it is correct before heading out for the 4th and re-torque the sockets on the hitch head.

Now the bad news. As I said earlier, a deer ran into the front curb side corner of the Airstream about a mile before the turn-off for FDR State Park just south of Warm Springs, GA a little over an hour from our home. Check out the photo below to see how much damage a running deer can do to an Airstream traveling at approximately 50 mph.

At least the Airstream survived...that's more than I can say for the deer. By the time we headed home on Sunday, the carcus was in the ditch and someone had removed the head for a trophy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer01A.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	22651  
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Holly S*#T

wheewww.. that is dent! Most important the family is safe But wow that poor deer.... What if you were towing an SOB... That deer would have been sleeping in your bed! You don't want to have to clean deer poop from the sheets. I love the "Changes in Latitude" name but somehow. FRANK THE TANK is starting to fit...

AZstreamin
Old 06-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #41

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Now the bad news. As I said earlier, a deer ran into the front curb side corner of the Airstream about a mile before the turn-off for FDR State Park just south of Warm Springs, GA a little over an hour from our home. Check out the photo below to see how much damage a running deer can do to an Airstream traveling at approximately 50 mph.
Youch! Did the panel behind the guard cave in also or was the damage just limited to the guard?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Oh no, the stone guard didn't stop the deer. I was missing the socket that fit the stone guard last night or I would have opened it up and photo'd it too. I'll post a photo of it this week end. I found the socket this morning before work (it was on my vanity from my pocket from another project) but I didn't have time to remove the nuts this morning and post the photo. I knolw the damage was done though. I can see behind the stone guard by looking from the top.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote