Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 511
Images: 12
Old axle vs New axle feedback . . .

With no desire to get caught up in a war-of-axles (i.e. "who manufactures the best" or "who's the best buy" thing), I would like to comment on my axle replacement, and didn't find a thread like what I hope this becomes . . .

I bought my new axle from Andy (InlandRV) and made the following observations:

1) The shipping slip indicated that the new axle weighed in at 260 lbs and was much heavier than the original axle. I haven't placed the old axle on the scale, but I can almost pick it up (and I haven't worked out in over two years- about the time I began work on the Spiffy Gem- go figure).

2) The torsion arm on the new axle was much more beefy than the old axle.

3) The mounting bracket on the new axle was much better engineered than the old, and clearly stronger.

Clearly, changes have been made. That is good - and expected.

I would like to see them change the mounting bracket so that you don't have to reverse-load the old frozen torsion arm to remove the rear mounting bolt - that was a pain in the you-know-what, and took way too much time. To do this, they would have to extend the mounting bracket past the torsion arm. That shouldn't be a big deal, since new holes have to be drilled anyway.

One thing that became clear to me, when trying to do the reverse-load, was that the rubber in the axle was clearly 'frozen'.

I knew the axle needed replaced (after all, it was 41.5 years old), but really didn't realize it was that bad. The visual "is the tire visible between the wheel and the wheel well" test passed. I guess Spiffy sat too many years unloaded, allowing the axle to freeze in a less loaded position.

Hope this kind of thing helps others in their decision process of axle replacement.

Calvin
__________________

__________________
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
bobkelly's Avatar
 
2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 358
Calvin-----Thanks for the info. It definitely adds to the body of knowledge resident here at the forums.
__________________

__________________
Bob

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
The Flintstones's Avatar
 
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 272
What is reverse load? I am about to attempt the same as I have my axles ready to order at inlandrv, they are just waiting for the check. Andy said it would be very easy, just remove old and bolt on new. Also what should I use to paint the inside wheel well and frame, POR 15?
thanks
James
__________________
____________
1970 Overlander
The Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 432
Great job!

Great information - thanks.

Henry
__________________
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 511
Images: 12
When you let the weight of the trailer down on the axle, you are loading the axle. As the torsion arm takes the weight, it is pushed upward, and if enough weight is added, assuming that it is still flexible, it will line up/be parallel to - the frame of the trailer.

That's the problem: when the torsion arm is no longer flexible (i.e. in need of replacement), it doesn't move back to an unloaded position when the trailer is blocked up. But it must be moved out of the way so the bolt that holds the axle to the frame can be removed. Somehow, enough weight/pressure/load has to be applied to the torsion arm from the opposite direction (top down) to get it out of the way - thus the term 'reverse load'.

As for the paint - you will get many answers to that question. My frame has already been painted and my new wheel wells were galvanized steel. I just used the tar/rubber type undercoating spray stuff from NAPA to coat the wheel wells.

Lastly, according to Andy-InlandRV, because of the year my Airstream was built, I had to drill new holes for the bolts and weld the shock plates to the torsion arms. It looks like your Airstream is made in 1970, and won’t have the same issues during installation. Reference post number 9 in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...nts-34646.html for Andy's expanation on the axle holes/shock plates issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WheelWell.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	42190  
__________________
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
When you let the weight of the trailer down on the axle, you are loading the axle. As the torsion arm takes the weight, it is pushed upward, and if enough weight is added, assuming that it is still flexible, it will line up/be parallel to - the frame of the trailer.

That's the problem: when the torsion arm is no longer flexible (i.e. in need of replacement), it doesn't move back to an unloaded position when the trailer is blocked up. But it must be moved out of the way so the bolt that holds the axle to the frame can be removed. Somehow, enough weight/pressure/load has to be applied to the torsion arm from the opposite direction (top down) to get it out of the way - thus the term 'reverse load'.

As for the paint - you will get many answers to that question. My frame has already been painted and my new wheel wells were galvanized steel. I just used the tar/rubber type undercoating spray stuff from NAPA to coat the wheel wells.

Lastly, according to Andy-InlandRV, because of the year my Airstream was built, I had to drill new holes for the bolts and weld the shock plates to the torsion arms. It looks like your Airstream is made in 1970, and won’t have the same issues during installation. Reference post number 9 in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...nts-34646.html for Andy's expanation on the axle holes/shock plates issue.

Removing the old original rusted bolts from an axle is easy.

All you need is a cutting torch, and the job is done before your beer can warm up.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 511
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Removing the old original rusted bolts from an axle is easy.

All you need is a cutting torch, and the job is done before your beer can warm up.

Andy
And that's one thing I don't own. . . Someday!!
__________________
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,918
Images: 2
Most people do not have access to a cutting torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Removing the old original rusted bolts from an axle is easy.

All you need is a cutting torch, ...
A Sawzall, or "inline reciprocating saw", will also work. And less harm will be done while you learn how to use it.

Take your time; keep the beer in the fridge until after you crawl out from under your Airstream.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 511
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
A Sawzall, or "inline reciprocating saw", will also work. And less harm will be done while you learn how to use it.

Take your time; keep the beer in the fridge until after you crawl out from under your Airstream.

Tom
I just have a small sawzall-like head that attaches to my Dremal (not a real sawzall), but the location of the bolt in relation to the torsion arm and the belly pan would make it difficult to get a sawzall in there to do the job.

I also have a cut blade for the Dremal, but it's too limited as well.

What I did was wedge a 13-14 inch piece of angle iron between the bar arm and the mounting bracket on one end and my floor jack on the other to reverse load the arm. Not the best and possibly not the safest . . . And it did a nasty twist to the end of the angle iron . ..

As for the beer - I can't stand the smell of the stuff, much less put it in my mouth!! But I like white tea . . .
__________________
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
clancy_boy's Avatar
 
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,780
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Removing the old original rusted bolts from an axle is easy.

All you need is a cutting torch, and the job is done before your beer can warm up.

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem,
And that's one thing I don't own. . . Someday!!
Try one of these nut splitters - lots less dangerous than a red hot flame and safe around the garage. Just split off the nut and drive out the old bolt.

Mike
Attached Images
  
__________________
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
2003 22' INTERNATIONAL CCD
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 511
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Try one of these nut splitters - lots less dangerous than a red hot flame and safe around the garage. Just split off the nut and drive out the old bolt.

Mike
How wide is that tool? That very well might fit between the frame and bar arm.

For others that need to do what I did, where and how much?
__________________
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
A couple of options...

Sears Craftsman $14.99

Ace Hardware $25.99 Wow!

Amazon 2pc set $7.99 (Northern Tool)

Harbor Freight suprisingly doesn't seem to have one available.
__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
clancy_boy's Avatar
 
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,780
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
How wide is that tool? That very well might fit between the frame and bar arm.

For others that need to do what I did, where and how much?
I know mine will fit over a 7/8 nut (been there, done that), it may work on one as big as 1 inch. It's an older Craftsman model - the newer ones just don't seem to be as well made but should do the job. Mine was a garage sale find (the best kind). Grade 8's split like pecans because of their hardness. Funny thing - cheap nuts you have to crank and crank on and they cut like playdough.

Not the tool you want to go to often but in a pinch they wook.
__________________
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
2003 22' INTERNATIONAL CCD
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:24 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 432
Impact Wrench/PB Blaster

I have worked with several old Airstream/Argosy rusted on axles - I found a Snap-On impact wrench did the trick every time.

Oh yeah - PB Blaster soaked in for about 1/2 hour first!

Smiles,
Henry
__________________

__________________
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duratorque Axle Replacement Andy R Axles 18 03-19-2017 09:54 PM
Tag axle shock rdm Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 8 07-10-2008 08:15 PM
Who made my axle? Pahaska Axles 44 07-25-2007 11:08 AM
one or two axle? vallan1980 Airstream Trailer Forums 5 09-17-2002 06:47 PM
Axle Offset Question DanLyle Axles 11 08-28-2002 10:35 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.