Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Delaware City , Delaware
Noise (from axle?)

Hi, folks. Just getting our 'new' 1961 Bambi on the road for the first time.

Hooked up today and took a few laps around town. There was a nasty metal-on-metal sounds coming from what sounded like the axle. It started as soon as the trailer started moving and did not get louder or quieter, nor did it change pitch, when the brakes were applied.

Found this thread, which gave me some clues. (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...els-28533.html)

Gonna have a local mechanic look at it, but does anyone have any hunches?

Thanks. ... Deldog
Deldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deldog View Post
...There was a nasty metal-on-metal sounds coming from what sounded like the axle. It started as soon as the trailer started moving and did not get louder or quieter, nor did it change pitch, when the brakes were applied.... Gonna have a local mechanic look at it, but does anyone have any hunches?

Thanks. ... Deldog
Hey Deldog,

"Nasty" is generally not good. Wheel/hub area sounds can be caused by a number of conditions. Some are self correcting, while others are not.

If the rig has been sitting for a period it is common to have some flash rust on the drums/disks that doesn't sound all that great but goes away after a few brake applications.

My first guess would be bearing failure. This condition is not self healing and usually leads to catastrophic failure if not corrected. Spindle and or hub damage are also an issue.

It could be number of things but as a minimum I would get it checked out sooner rather than later.

If you have the means, raise each wheel off the ground and spin them with your hand. If you hear noises, grip the tire at the 3:00 and 9:00 o'clock positions then wiggle the tire gently back and forth (press with your left hand while pulling with your right hand) to check play. A little "In and Out" movement is normal, but any "wobble" is usually a bearing condition signal and cause for concern.

I had a "Oh My" moment a year or so ago myself.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...light=bearings

On a lighter note I've also had hub grease caps come loose then rattle around inside the hubcap. A lot of clanging and banding, but no grinding. So popping the hubcaps off may yield a cause as well.

Wishing you the best,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Delaware City , Delaware
Thanks for the advice, Kevin. I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on what I discover.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
It is not uncommon for a broken brake spring to be loose inside the hub also. I would expect some variation in noise with speed, but perhaps not.
It is not difficult to pull the hub and see what falls out.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1964 19' Globetrotter
Centerville , Utah
Heard similar noise from one of my wheels this weekend when replacing all 4 tires. Pulled the hub off...out fell the broken brake spring and adjuster. A $12 fix. Fairly easy to replace. Hope it's something that simple for you. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Delaware City , Delaware
Thanks, guys. I'll check that. Really appreciate your help. So eager to get this baby through inspection and start camping.