Old 03-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Hartford , Wisconsin
Newbie's education

Hi everyone
I have been using this great resource to educate myself to the joys and annoyances of Airstream ownership. I am just about ready to step off the pier and put my money in an late 70's AS

I know it is going to need axels. In my research I found a document on the Dexter Axle Mfg website. This document really makes it easy to understand the details of axles. Very nice diagrams of types of mounting options and critical measurements. Helped me to understand start angle, reverse mounting bracket, etc.

http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/Axle_Measurement.pdf

In my way too much time searching this site I cannot remember a thread with a close up picture of the mounting brackets on a replacement axle. Please post a pic or help me find the thread that contains a good pic.

I intend to boondock a bit more than stay at campgrounds. My question is do AS's use low or high brackets as shown on the attached doc? Not seeing much discussion on this board about how selecting the high option could increase body ride height by 1 inch, leaves me wondering.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Dexter has been a 1st rate company for me. I haven't done an axle in 3 yrs now, but 'till then you could call cust. service give them a description of what you need to do and they would send you a "Pro spec sheet". Fill in the info & measurements they require [sheet has diagram] then take your Spec sheet to a dealer. The link in your post shows the mounting brackets. They're welded to the top of the square axle tube before the rubber rods are installed. Positioned between the X [axle] and the frame, shown in color in your link. In an Airstream they ARE NOT bolted vertically through the main frame rails. They bolt horizontally through the "side plates". Steel plates welded vertically to the frame rails. High or low mounting brackets & down angle? I prefer boondocking and many St parks in our region were developed way back in the tent era. Site entry can be a problem, particularly inclines, angle of approach. Back in and ram the rear of your stream into the road! I set up our safari, single X spicifically for those circumstances. High brackets give an extra inch, I added another inch using .400 square stock spacers, 45 degree down angle on the arms. About 3 inchs lift over original, lets me into places we could'nt go otherwise. I see no handling / control issues at interstate speeds. However there is an inherent down side to a single X Airstream. On the road they aren't as stable as a double X and in the boonies they don't do as well on uneven turf, washouts, ruts, potholes, ect. They sink quicker in sand or mud. Those outback issues can be minimized with a good 4 x 4 T.V. & a couple 2 X 8 planks! Do yourself a favor when you decide on axle rating. You will have a choice. I recall # 10 or # 11, check my memory. The larger will more robust with bigger brakes. It MAY show a weight rating larger then what you require, but you can order the larger one custom down sized regarding weight. Well worth the few extra bucks in rough hilly country. Another reason to call and talk to a Dexter service rep. Now when you finish this project and park it off season jack & block it enough to take some weight off the rubber torsion rods in the X so they don't "take a set", or do it all again in 8 or 10 years! Hardest part of the job is measuring / ordering the 1st one. After that its easy.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

If you want to de-risk your axle order, contact Colin Hyde (commercial member on the forums), who is an axle distributor. He has the dimensions, the axle specifics, and can aid you in getting exactly what you need with minimal chance for mistakes.

good luck!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You can also call Andy at Inland RV with your VIN and he will get you "plug and go" axles.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Romany
Kansas City , Missouri
I have been trying to contact Colin for a few weeks now. Maybe he has been on vacation
Old 03-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Hartford , Wisconsin
New Owner

I ended up buying a 1991 Excella 25 and it too needs axles. PO had disc brakes installed. Used my 20 year old brake controller. which will get an upgrade. that's a whole other thread. They worked great on the trip home, 2100 miles. Yeah 2100 miles each way.
Looked hard and learned that you have to move fast, when you see the AS that works for you. Sellers with stories of phones ringing off the hook. Tons of CL scam ads to weed thru. Junk described as "everything works", It was not easy finding mine. I did learn a lot though, much of it from the AS forums.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Hartford , Wisconsin
I forgot to attach a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS FRONT.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	259607  
Old 03-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Kosullivan e mail seems to work best for Colin.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Topo here is a picture of a new set from Colin. If you Zoom can you get a view of what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459358660579.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	259643  

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Hartford , Wisconsin
Thanks for the photo
Old 04-23-2016, 12:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Topo here is a picture of a new set from Colin. If you Zoom can you get a view of what you are looking for.
Thanks! I just ordered a set from him.

Question: Is the shock absorber mounting bolt included in your kit?

Thx!
Old 09-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Hartford , Wisconsin
Okay i wasted 2.5 hours at the Milwaukee Dexter axle distributor. They could not seem to come up with the proper measurements. I even removed the Kodiak disc brake package to get hub face measurements..
Very disappointed.

Just sent an email for an up dated quote from Collin Hyde.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Hartford , Wisconsin
Axle hub face to hub face dimension???

So after the debacle at the Dexter axle distributor in Milwaukee, I sent an email to Collin Hyde, no response. Yesterday I called Inland RV to place order, gave the very nice lady all requested info. I was told I would receive a phone call from Andy to finalize order. That has not happened yet.

In the mean time I called Dexter Axle direct. I was referred to the Engineering Dept. Gave the man a bunch of info and measurements. The one measurement I am not sure of is the hub face to hub face dimension. You see my trailer has been upgraded with a Kodiak disc brake kit by PO. So the hub face dimension may be different than stock. Does anyone have an AS similar to mine that can get the hub face to hub face dimension on the factory drum brake setup? I measured 80-3/16 inches on the Kodiak Disc hub face to hub face.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
You can also call Andy at Inland RV with your VIN and he will get you "plug and go" axles.

Mike

No such animal. No plug and play/go. They do not make the same size axle so more than likely you will have to modify the frame a bit to make the new one fit.

If you cant get a hold of Colin, you may want to try redneck trailer and see if they can order them for you. I believe mine were specked at 3500 per axle. When I ordered them from Inland, they essentially passed the order on to redneck. I had much better results in communication with Redneck then Inland.

Also, when I got mine, the bracket for the shocks was not attached to the axle. I had to pay out of pocket to have a welder come and do the job. Just one more surprise for me at the time when I was led to believe that it was a simple unbolt old and bolt in new job.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote