Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #1

1964 26' Overlander
Cranston , Rhode Island
Newbie will take all the advice he can get!

Hi guys new to airstream and the forums. I just purchased a 1964 Overlander thats been sitting for 10 years. I live in Rhode Island and im picking it up in Florida. I know that i need to repalce rims and tires. Im having someone do that for me before i get down there. My concern is that i will need to replace the axle too. From what i can gather everything worked when it was parked 10 years ago. I am buying a truck while im down their to tow it home. If i need to replace the axle i thought i could stop in Georgia for Dexter Axles. How much does it cost to replace? Where can i get a good deal on tires and what should i get? I know that the owner kept it under an awning if that makes any difference. I havent receive the owners manual or the title but i should be getting that shorty. Also i really dont like the bathroom lay out any ideas that are economical. Thanks to all for your time and cant wait to join the club. Troy
New64Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Depending on how it was sitting, you may not need to replace the axles. Check it by seeing if they are still below being parallel to the ground. Then put a load on the trailer and make sure they move. If they look pretty good, take the unit home or to a good dealer along the way and have them looked at before you spend alot of money and time. I am still running with the original axles on my 63.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
. I am still running with the original axles on my 63.
As am I, but they are on borrowed time. While you are getting the tires replced, you should get the bearings repacked, also. Early 60's vintage coaches spindles are more fussy about proper lubrication, and they will tend to fail, and take the tire and brake drum with them when they come off the trailer at speed.
Inland RV has a diagram to show you what you should look for as far as angle of axles, and what that means. The web address is www.inlandrv.com
Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your dual new purchases.