Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
New Wheel wells

So how much clearance is needed above the tires? A bit of a limited audience for this question I know but I was looking at the huge wheel wells and the limited movement available to the axles and wondered why there is so much space? Without measuring much there's probably 8" of space above the tires and only about 3 1/2" space above the axles before they hit the chassis.

For my little project which is initially a new chassis, wheel wells, axles, rims and tires etc I figured I could cut down on the extra space a bit. I know campgrounds might have a bit of mud now and then but how much space do you think would be sensible to design in given that everything is changeable?

I'm also curious about using thick, maybe 1/8" aluminum, rather than galvanized tin but maybe that'll end up being another thread.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
Truck: Another option you might think about is to talk to a Grain Bin dealer about pieces of galvanized steel that are bin panels. They come in all different sizes. If you have anyone that does salvage work after tornadoes you might find a piece for free. Or talk to a farmer that has had bin repair. I made an entire floorboard for an old MG 1100 sedan back in the 70's. It was the strongest part of the car when finished, and free. You may need a torch and a big hammer to bend it the way you want it. Ron
panora2 is offline   Reply With Quote