Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
New trailer isn't level, L-R concerned about my axles

Ever since we picked up our 2004 28' Classic, I've noticed that when I look out the rear view mirror, the trailer doesn't appear to be level (left to right) relative to the pickup tailgate.

I went out today with tape in hand, and this is what I've found, with the trailer parked on a level concrete floor: the pickup tailgate is essentially level. The right front of the trailer (measured ground to trim) is about 3/4" lower on the right side of the trailer, than on the left. The left rear of the trailer is about 1/2" higher than the right rear (again, measuring from ground to lower edge of trim). The top edge of the wheel wells measures the same on both sides.

Do I have a problem? How big? Have others noticed the same kind of disparity? Any insight you can give me into this?

Would appreciate any further information anyhone can provide - thanks!
Old 08-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My '72 sets a little lower on the right too. More "stuff" on that side of the trailer, I guess.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Same with my 84 Excella 31 ft...about 2 inches lower on the curbside.
The bath, the range, and cabinets are over on the curbside.
I guess if I loaded up the pantry, the closets and credenza, then I might be level.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Try laying a level on the surface you are parked on to make certain that it is level. Next lay a level on the trailer floor to see if it is level, and lastly lay the level across the A frame in front.

Now if the ground is level and the trailer is level to, then something is mis aligned but it might not be cause for alarm because your measurements should be the same or very close. The difference you speak of is in fact a close measure, but maybe 3/4" is a little extream.

Most often you have probably just noticed that there is a difference and this is due to weight rather than a structural defect.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I can see it by eyeballing my tires too...the streetside has more tire showing than the curbside. I am pretty sure the trailer itself is straight.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Yea, that sound like it.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Unlevel trailer...

Is it only when you are hooked up to the truck?
Do you feel anything extreme when towing?
One thing that I have noticed, towing Airstreams for 20 years, is that your weight distributing hitch has to be set up properly.
Seeing as how it is a newer A/S I would suspect that the trailer is fine and the hook-up is skewed.
What are you using for a hitch?
All trailers, regardless who makes them, should sit nearly level when parked on a level surface. The only time I have seen this to be untrue is when the trailer has been unevenly loaded. The optimum location for "stuff" is in the center of the trailer over the axles. This cannot always be achieved. I have found out as long as you try to keep this in mind you will do wonders for your towing.
The biggest mistake I see when travelling is the people will have the trailer tongue and the tow vehicle's bumper "pinched" or pointing down, not enough weight on the torsion bars, or they will have them reversed with both the tongue and the bumper pointing upward, too much weight on the torsion bars. Then these people complain that the trailer tows poorly.
Just trying to help.

Lou
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
One way to know for sure -

Weigh it.....

If you suspect a problem just take it to a public scale.

Usually there is enough room on the sides that you can drop one wheel off of the scale.

Most scales give you three readings at one time (front axel, rear tractor axels, and trailer axels for the big rigs - usually you can get a weight off at least two of the pads, if not all three), use that to your advantage and get each axel and at least one individual wheel weighed on each axel (if not each wheel separately if you suspect an imbalance problem....ie the trailer wheels).

Weighing the trailer and the Tow Vehicle, as set up for towing (normal fluids, foods, and camping gear) is the only way you can ascertain;

1. What your actual axel weights REALLY are (this might surprise you).

2. If you truely are imbalanced right to left. And,

3. If you have a load imbalance on a dual or triple axel (just a bit of a "tongue low" situation will transfer a huge amount of weight from the rear axel to the front axel).

Weighs (three individual weights) are only about 10 bucks, with reweighs at only only a buck each (again, 3 readouts, so each readout is only 33 cents). You can get a HUGE number if individual readings for just a few minutes and a 20 dollar bill. Hit the scales on the weekend when taking your time on the scale will not hamper the "normal" 18 wheeler traffic.

The "Scale Masters" (usually "Mistresses") don't mind RV's a bit as long as they are not busy.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
You may have made a mistake in assuming the tow vehicle tailgate is level. Sometimes I'm amused when following behind other pickups when I see how out of level and twisted their bed is. Its possible driveline torque and other forces impact how it looks when towing. Also, you might check tire pressures to make sure they are all even. Also, since holding tanks slope towards the driver side, there will be more fluid and thus more weight on that side. Just some possibilities.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Level trailers.

It is not uncommon for the axle or axles to take a "set" if it was parked for an extended period of time, without removing some weight from the axles.

This time period is usually several years, but could be as little as 4 to 5 years.

1974 trailers and older, along with the rubber rods failing, could have them fail on one side faster than the other, accounting for a tilt to the trailer.

Dave Jenkins......
Check the tire air pressures, to make sure all tires are the same. Level the trailer from front to back, on a concrete surface. Check the position of the torsion arms on the axles. They should all be equal, in angle.

If not, you may want to check with Airstream, regarding axle warranty.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:38 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
You may have made a mistake in assuming the tow vehicle tailgate is level. Sometimes I'm amused when following behind other pickups when I see how out of level and twisted their bed is. Its possible driveline torque and other forces impact how it looks when towing. Also, you might check tire pressures to make sure they are all even. Also, since holding tanks slope towards the driver side, there will be more fluid and thus more weight on that side. Just some possibilities.
Nope - tailgate is level. Driveline torque is not a factor, since this occurs with tow vehicle unhitched. Tire pressures are ok. And finally, both the black and gray water tanks are empty. I believe that my fresh water tank slopes towards the curbside. This tank is generally full - do you think that could do it? It's essentially over the axles, so I've been discounting it as a factor. I guess I could empty it and test - I think I'll do that just to remove a variable...
Old 08-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

[snip]

Dave Jenkins......
Check the tire air pressures, to make sure all tires are the same. Level the trailer from front to back, on a concrete surface. Check the position of the torsion arms on the axles. They should all be equal, in angle.

If not, you may want to check with Airstream, regarding axle warranty.

Andy

Andy: TPs are ok and equal. Trailer is leveled front to back, and unhitched from tow vehicle. Holding tanks are empty, fresh water is full.

Can you point me to pictures of what I should expect to see underneath as far as torsion arms are concerned? I have no idea what I'm looking for or at... How sensitive are the arms to variations in angle? That is, what's a significant difference?

Thanks...
Old 08-23-2004, 08:57 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Is it only when you are hooked up to the truck?
Do you feel anything extreme when towing?
One thing that I have noticed, towing Airstreams for 20 years, is that your weight distributing hitch has to be set up properly.
Seeing as how it is a newer A/S I would suspect that the trailer is fine and the hook-up is skewed.
What are you using for a hitch?
All trailers, regardless who makes them, should sit nearly level when parked on a level surface. The only time I have seen this to be untrue is when the trailer has been unevenly loaded. The optimum location for "stuff" is in the center of the trailer over the axles. This cannot always be achieved. I have found out as long as you try to keep this in mind you will do wonders for your towing.
The biggest mistake I see when travelling is the people will have the trailer tongue and the tow vehicle's bumper "pinched" or pointing down, not enough weight on the torsion bars, or they will have them reversed with both the tongue and the bumper pointing upward, too much weight on the torsion bars. Then these people complain that the trailer tows poorly.
Just trying to help.

Lou
Hi Lou:

Thanks for the suggestions. This problem is evident whether towing or unhitched on a concrete pad. (When towing, I feel nothing - I'm using a Hensley Arrow. ) It appears to me that there's essentially the same amount of cabinetry on right as on left, so I don't think that could account for it. It's been suggested elsewhere in this thread that I get on some scales someplace to find out where the weight really is. We live in the country about 80 mi. W. of Houston, so it will be a semi-big deal to find some convenient scales...
Old 08-23-2004, 09:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dave Jenkins.

The amount of water in the fresh water tank should have no bearing on the trailers levelness.

After doing all the tests that you have, I would point my fingers at having defective axles.

Contact the factory, ASAP.

Should replacements be in order, I would suggest that you increase the load rating on the replacements.

The torsion arms are between the axle tube and the backing plates.

Andy
Old 08-23-2004, 09:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Dave Jenkins.

The amount of water in the fresh water tank should have no bearing on the trailers levelness.

After doing all the tests that you have, I would point my fingers at having defective axles.

Contact the factory, ASAP.

Should replacements be in order, I would suggest that you increase the load rating on the replacements.

The torsion arms are between the axle tube and the backing plates.

Andy
Hi Andy:

I just got back in from outside. First of all, I note that the front axle tube (?) has a slight bow in it - about 1/4" higher in center. Is that normal? I also note that someone has chalked a date on the tube that looks like it might be the manufacurting date for the trailer - don't know if that's significant or not.

Are the torsion arms the things that look like junior shocks? (When you say "between the axle tube and the backing plates." you're meaning that one end is attached to the plate, the other to the tube?) Just eyeballing those, they appear to have equal angles all the way around, but I can't tell for sure. The right front one, however, looks to be a little closer to horizontal than the right rear, which (if I'm reasoning this out correctly) would make the right front of the trailer low (which it is)..Is there an accurate way of getting the angles measured that doesn't require an engineering degree and $2000 of specialized shop tools?

Is it at all normal that factory-new axles might be defective? Do you have recommendations for an appropriate load rating for a 2004 28' Classic? (Or if they're elsewhere, can you point me to them?)

Thanks for your help...
Old 08-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dave Jenkins.

All axles must be bent in the middle. That's how they are aligned.

A torsion arm is shown in the attached photo.

Eyeballing the angle is adequate.

Normally, as the torsion arm goes rearward, a downward angle is desired.

Anything made by man, can fail. A failure rate of one out of a million, might be small, but it is still a failure rate.

Therefore it is possible to have a bad axle, in spite of the fact that it is new. All it takes is one of the eight rubber rods (four on each side), to fail.

The ratings on your axle are stamped on a metal plate, that is spot welded onto the axle tube. It should say 3500 pounds, in your case.

If replacement are made available, you might look into 4000 pound axles.
However, more than likely. the axle mounting plate would require a small modification. Not a biggie.

Again, I encourage you to talk to your dealer, "and" to Airstream customer service.

However, keep in mind that most dealers are not axle savvy.

Airstreams are not designed to be off level, side ways.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-005s.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	8477  
Old 08-23-2004, 12:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Dave Jenkins.

All axles must be bent in the middle. That's how they are aligned.

A torsion arm is shown in the attached photo.

[snip]

Airstreams are not designed to be off level, side ways.

Andy
A picture is worth a thousand words! As far as my unpracticed eye can tell, the arms are at essentially the same angle. Any difference that there is would be <5 deg., I'd say.

I'll see if I can't get a live person to talk to me at Airstream support.

Many thanks for your help, Andy.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jenkins
A picture is worth a thousand words! As far as my unpracticed eye can tell, the arms are at essentially the same angle. Any difference that there is would be <5 deg., I'd say.

I'll see if I can't get a live person to talk to me at Airstream support.

Many thanks for your help, Andy.
I've been in touch with Airstream Tech. Support, and they say this:

"The measurements that you have given are with in our standards. I have checked and the standards are 3/4 of an inch. This is due to the measurements we have checked here."

This tends to make me feel a little better. After touching up the ntires, I measured a 9/16" discrepancy - slightly less than the 3/4" they noted.

I have asked for clarification on the statement, "This is due to the measurements we have checked here." to see what that really means.

Many thanks for all your helpful responses. I'll re-post if anything meaningful comes out my further communications with Airstream.