Old 02-15-2003, 08:38 AM   #29
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
box cars

gene

i'm right with you on that!

when i worked for the railroad we used to jack up loaded box cars with cribbing, mostly old railroad ties cut in half.

in any case, weather it is your trailer or a 100 ton box car.

use common sense and be careful!

john

Old 03-08-2003, 07:38 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Axles

Who said working on your AS in the winter was not fun. I took the bolts loose with a two feet of pipe on a breaker bar, I had soaked them down with Knockerloose before. I had the snow melting off the top and I got a little wet. I have the new axles under a wrecker at my brothers shop.

Old 03-08-2003, 07:57 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Thumbs up Wow!

I hope to finish mine today, my trusty thermometer say 44, right now! One more cup of coffee, and out I go. Glad I have a decent compressor and air wrenches! Last axle is out and new axle in position to jack into place. Then install new brake plates, repack bearings. Last will be the new tires. Can't believe I put close to 2000 miles, without incident on 10 year old tires. I hope the new ones are just as good.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:10 AM   #32
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

go pick go!

i went out to snap some pics of my water connections for a member, can't get my bins open because they are frozen shut!

44 would seem like a heat wave right now!

john
Old 03-08-2003, 07:53 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Axle bolts

I got one axle bolted in place, how tight do I tighten the bolts?
Old 03-08-2003, 08:43 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Got mine all done!

New axles installed, new shocks, new brake plates on front axle, bearings repacked with Amsoil synthetic grease and new tires installed. Unit sits up high so I can use my WD hitch now! Just need to finish building a new umbilical cord to the truck, and I can take it out for a test run!

Next projects are, replace (leaky) front vent with Fantastic Fan, and re-upholster front gaucho.

Gene, I used a box end wrench on the bolt side and an air wrench on the nut side.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 03-15-2003, 08:19 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Axles done

I got the axles finished and tightned the bolts to 90 ft. lbs. The air wrenches are mostly set up for that tightnes and I looked it up in one of my auto repair books. The axles fit like the old ones, I thought I was going to need a pry bar to getr them in. I even got to use my snow thrower on the project by dropping the old axle on a sheet of plywood and then pulling it out. I used the Monroe shocks and they have the replacement mounting bolt with them. I am going to leave the jacks under until the weather gets warmer so I can power wash the wheel wells and then put on some undercoating to seal up the gaps that I found after peeling a lot of silicon and what appears to have been duct tape
Old 03-22-2003, 07:50 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

The tires are on the new axles, I can see the tops of the tires now just like Andy said.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:13 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Axles

This thread has recently caught my attention

We are planning a 800 mile trip soon and I had already planned on putting new tires on(6-7years old) Well.....I have been learning alot lately from all you guys(probably tooooooo much)and now I think you guys are about to cost me$$$$$$ I crawled under the A/S and what did I see, the wheel attachment is higher than the axle. Well according to INLAND's web site this is not a good thing. I guess I need new axles. Is this right?? I am assuming that I was reading the description properly. I do check this with the trailer sitting on the ground, fully loaded? Right?

Well we really don't have the money to do this, but if we must we must. Must we????

Has anyone out there nursed their axles too long?

Has anyone in the Midwest priced these out to find the best price?

What are the feelings as to how difficult it is to replace these myself. It looks as if it would not be too bad, 4 bolts, and alot of muscle.

Has anyone found a good shock for a good price.

We have recently lost our local A/S dealer, so I am going to have to travel to get these.

Guess I had better quit asking question and start waiting for answers, then I can ask more questions.

Thanks for any help!

This is definitely not the direction which mine are pitched:
Attached Images

73ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 08:43 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Rick, the ONLY place to get new axles is from Andy, at Inland RV. The shocks are special horizontal type units, you can get those from any AS dealer, including Andy. Complete new axles are $800, including brakes and hub/drums. I chose the bare axles for $500 because my drums were like new. I did put new brake plates on the front axle, though.

I did my axles with no help whatsoever. But, I am mechanically inclined and have been a "farmboy" all my life, not afraid to tackle anything. If you are not familiar with this type of work, I suggest you get help or have it done. Those axles are quite heavy, and you could be killed or pinned under the trailer, if you don't know what you are doing.

I chose to do mine because my Airstream sat lower by about 1-2" on the curb side. The street side looked OK, according to Andy's article, but the curb side was in trouble for sure. It is nice to know I am set for life, now as far as axles go. These should be good for 30-40 years. I just hope I am!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 03-22-2003, 08:52 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Axles

Thanks Pick, I'm a "Indiana farmboy" turned contractor.

So INLAND is the only place, well what kind of shipping charges are tacked on to these puppies, or did the $500 each you payed include shipping???

I will probably get the complete package because everything on mine is original, including the shocks!!

That's kind of a bummer on having no midwest options on the supplier, especially considering the manufacturer is located in Ohio, right next to the A/S factory. I was hoping I could just buzz over there and pick em up. So the axles will go from Ohio to California then back to INDY???
73ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 09:10 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
No!! I live in Ohio. Just tell them you want to pick them up. Then take the tour of the Airstream factory after you pick the axles up!
Tours start at 2 PM weekdays.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 03-22-2003, 10:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
73Andy,

I wouldn't postpone your trip. I feel for the most part, except in extreme cases, that axle replacement is an elective procedure. I also feel that there are varied degrees of deterioration. I replaced the axle on my former Argosy which was definitely a bad axle, the arms were pushed way up past the tube centerline, almost riding on the bottom of the floor!!

No doubt that new axles are painful to the pocketbook! I am definitely saving up for the someday needed axles on my Overlander.

Chas
Old 03-23-2003, 07:25 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

The axle manufacturer is located in Jackson Center , it is possible to go to the Airstream Factory Service Center and have the axles refurbished. New rubber inserts can be installed if everything else is okay. Or new axles can be installed there also.