Old 06-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Axles and shocks

We have our axles from Colin.....he knows his axles....they went on perfectly.
Just as a caution.......the shocks recommended were Monroe Gas Magnum #555003.
I shared this info on this forum and one of the response' I got was that I should be using the shock specifically that Airstream uses made by Gabriel that is sold by AS or can get from Vintage .

Old 06-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
With axles from Colin if you don't mount shocks on axle before raising axle you will have to drop axle and start over or figure out some other way to mount them, don't ask how I no this.
I don't have to ask, as I just learned the same thing from experience, that most unforgiving of teachers. It would have been nice if instructions had accompanied the axles alerting one to this potential problem. There is no way that I can see to get a wangle a bolt of sufficient to fit into the space

Another problem is that the shock brackets on the axles only have 9/16" bolt holes, whereas the shock mounts on the old axles had 5/8" studs. I'm assuming I can find shocks with rubber inserts that have 9/16" holes, but, if not, will have to drill out the 9/16" shock bracket holes to 5/8". This, of course,after dropping the axles just to get to them.

Ah, well, nobody ever said being an amateur was easy.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLBIJOU View Post
hOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THE PAIR, SHIPPED?
$1340 including self-adjusting brakes, easy-lube axles, and freight from Elkhart, IN to a depot near me in Phoenix, AZ.

Clearly, your mileage may vary.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
<snip>
Looks like you are welding on the shock mounts, be sure and keep them plumb, just saying.
I checked this afternoon, and the shock mounts were already factory installed on the axles. The lug nuts are 1/2".
Old 06-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Replaced orig. axles on my '67 Overlander last December with 3500 lb Dexter axles from Inland RV. Upgraded from 2800 lbs to retain 12" brakes. The newer 2800 lb axles have only 10" brakes whether Dexter or Axis. The shock brackets had to be welded on which took about 10 minutes each. The experienced welder I used said that given the mass of the arm there was no risk to the rubber inside the tube. It was necessary to modify the trailer frame side plates slightly to accommodate the larger axle tube which took only about 10 minutes per side per axle and the trailer was raised only about a quarter inch plus about an inch less sag when we set her back on her wheels. Two new holes had to be drilled thru the side plate and each axle bracket per wheel position which was done after the axle was in place. I paid $675 for each axle assembly plus $100 for four shocks. Shipping was free but I had to drive to the nearest Dexter distributor to pick them up which was about 50 miles. The axles came fully assembled with self adjusting brakes.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Twinkie View Post
<snip>
Just as a caution.......the shocks recommended were Monroe Gas Magnum #555003.

I shared this info on this forum and one of the response' I got was that I should be using the shock specifically that Airstream uses made by Gabriel that is sold by AS or can get from Vintage.
I've got the Monroe shocks ready to go on. There's all kinds of opinions on the forums, and all kinds of different motivation$ for those opinions.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
<snip> The axles came fully assembled with self adjusting brakes.
...then you did good. Many time axles are sold bare, with Chinese brake parts in a box.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I got my axle from Colin as well for a 67 Caravel.
Everything went well.
That is until it came to mounting the street side shock to the axle.
Instead of welding on a lefthand and a right hand shock mount on the axle they welded 2 curbside (RH) shock mounts at the factory .
To accommodate for this oops I had to cut the shock bolt really short to be able to get it through the shock and mount.
I used the Monroe shocks Colin recommended. They went in really easy all the holes were the correct size.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
I've got the Monroe shocks ready to go on. There's all kinds of opinions on the forums, and all kinds of different motivation$ for those opinions.
Drboyd,
If you call Monroe and ask them about this shock being used in a horizontal position you might understand why I chose to weld shock studs to the brackets and use Airstream shocks....... They will not endorse this application of the shock. The only motivation I have is to use the proper part in the right place.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Drboyd,
If you call Monroe and ask them about this shock being used in a horizontal position you might understand why I chose to weld shock studs to the brackets and use Airstream shocks....... They will not endorse this application of the shock. The only motivation I have is to use the proper part in the right place.
I wonder why Colin recommends the Monroe shocks?
It seems if there were failures or potential problems he would know about it.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Colin told me on the phone that he has opened both the Official Airstream an d the Monroe shock, and he found only minor differences. I imagine that Monroe would not "endorse" that application of the shock without rigorous testing, which might not be worth doing for a market of a few dozen units per year.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
When I removed my OEM axles there were four nuts holding each axle up, I can see the holes in your posted picture. I am of the opinion if AS put it together that way the replacement should be installed that way too.

My parts arrived in boxes so the axle ends hung out over the end of the pallet. When they arrived the plastic wrap was torn and wood chips were in my axle threaded ends. I see your shipment the axles hang out too but the you have the brake drum and bearing cover on for protection.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #27
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
A shock built for vertical operation doesn't work in a horizontal postion. The valving internal to a verticle shock is in the wrong place when the shock is mounted horizontally. The fluid that does the dampening is no longer being influenced by gravity.

Brand means nothing if the designed application isn't followed.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-16-2016, 12:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I did some looking at shock absorber cutaways...

...and the ones I saw showed that the internal fluid completely fills the tube at all times. There's no opportunity for bubbles that would be influenced by horizontal or vertical position.