Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
New Axles on '83 Excella

Picked up two 3,500 lb axles from Inland RV on Friday. Installed them today.

The only surprise was that there was no surprise. That's good. Actually, there was one little surprise. There were eight bolts,four on each axle, coming down through the frame that went through the holes at either end of the mating surfaces where the axles rest against the frame. The heads must be welded in place, as a 3/4" deep socket and an air impact wrench made short work of them. I put the nuts back as they were when I installed the new axles.

Most of my time was spent jacking up the trailer, removing the wheels, detaching the brake electric wires and getting them free, removing and replacing the new drums and backing plates installed by the previous owner last fall. The actual removal and replacement of the axles took about half an hour. That was by far the easiest part of the job.

All in all it was a simple task due to the use of air tools, a two ton floor jack and two five ton jack stands.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Picked up two 3,500 lb axles from Inland RV on Friday. Installed them today.

The only surprise was that there was no surprise. That's good. Actually, there was one little surprise. There were eight bolts,four on each axle, coming down through the frame that went through the holes at either end of the mating surfaces where the axles rest against the frame. The heads must be welded in place, as a 3/4" deep socket and an air impact wrench made short work of them. I put the nuts back as they were when I installed the new axles.

Most of my time was spent jacking up the trailer, removing the wheels, detaching the brake electric wires and getting them free, removing and replacing the new drums and backing plates installed by the previous owner last fall. The actual removal and replacement of the axles took about half an hour. That was by far the easiest part of the job.

All in all it was a simple task due to the use of air tools, a two ton floor jack and two five ton jack stands.
Jim.

A previous owner had to install the vertical bolts.

Airstream only used 2 bolts per side, per axle.

Andy

Old 06-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jim.

A previous owner had to install the vertical bolts.

Airstream only used 2 bolts per side, per axle.

Andy
Andy

Strange thing is, the nuts on those bolts have to be installed before the four attaching bolts are in place, as they block access. I put the attaching bolts in place to obtain proper alignment, removed them to re-install the other nuts, then installed and tightened up the attaching bolts. There are holes in the new axle mounting brackets to accommodate those bolts that extend down from the frame.

I sure looked like the main bolts had never been removed. And, the belly pan would have to be removed to get access to the top of the bolts.

Oh well....... it was no problem. I'm just happy with the new axles and the service from you and Greg at Inland.

Thanks a bunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6145466.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	82351  
Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Jim
Thanks for your post and pic's. The only thing I did different was NO JACKING!. Mine rolled up an lumber as to pull the back axle off the ground,I left the TV connected for stability. The only jack used was the floor jack I use to lower the axles and raise the new back into place. I didn't have an RV/motorcycle jack which would have been ideal. We lowered the each axle onto Wheel dollys which we already had for moving cars around in the shop.Rolled the old out and the new in.
What a simple and painless process it is,Thanks to air tools. We also got great service from Inland.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote