Old 07-07-2005, 04:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Unhappy New axles needed or not?

I would like to replace the axles on my 1970 Overlander if they should be. I have a good quote from Axleman but so far my decision is based only on contradictory opinions .

My AS has been permanently parked in the woods for at least 20 years. It was resting on blocks and jacks when purchased. I have restored the inside and am starting on the inside.

The axles have no hint of paint, only rust. The bearings are still looking like new and packed with like new grease. The drums although very rusted on the outside are like new inside and without any scratches or wear from the brakes.

So far I have been on 5 local trips for a total or about 700 miles. This AS appears to ride very well and all equipment inside stay in their location.

Because of my background (believing in facts only) I am in search of some tests I could perform to determine the safety of the axles. Can I tap on your expertise and help to reach a sound decision?

Yesterday I took some measurements between the edge of the fender to the apex rim of the wheels. I have the measurements at rest and with each wheel jacked so the adjacent wheel is off the ground.

In a nutshell these measurements are reduced over ½” when the wheel is jacked and the adjacent wheel measurement increase by around 1 1/2 inch . What’s next?
Thanks in advance for your cooperation

Old 07-07-2005, 04:28 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
You need to check the angle of the axles the information you need is Here if you have a neutral or negative angle you will need to consider replacement. FWIW my are about dead neutral when lightly loaded I do have replacement in my future plans. There are multiple threads covering the replacement of axles some are even complete with pictures.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
axle replacement

I replaced my axles last month and I can honestly say althouth pricey, it has been the single best improvement so far. The ride quality was worth the price of admission. (My fenders were even with the rims)
Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
pictures

Do you have before and after pictures?

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Axle information.

For detailed Henschen axle information, go to:

http://www.henschenaxle.com

The warranty on Henschen axles is 5 years, and the warranty on the brakes, hub and drums, and bearings, is also 5 years, one year by Henschen and an additional 4 years by Inland RV Center, Inc.

The warranty is "NOT VOIDED", if you wish to install the shock brackets yourself, or if you chose to relocate them.

For a detailed "how to check out your axles" go to:

http://inlandrv.com/articles/dura-torque-axle-92001.htm

Andy
Old 07-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The warranty is "NOT VOIDED", if you wish to install the shock brackets yourself, or if you chose to relocate them.
Certain axle manufacturers do not require you to weld the shock bracket so you do not have to worry about the added expense of welding the shock bracket.
There have been several successful installations of torsion axles performed by forums members that require very little modification to the set-up.
Also, if you are going to have your axle shipped to you, be certain that the axle is shipped on a pallet. At the VERY least be certain that the company is willing to pay for any damage that you may find after you have taken possession of the axle. I have read posts on here that the company that sold the axle was not willing to help with getting the shipping company to pay for damages that were not noticed until the axle was being installed.
Whoever you go with be certain they are willing to stand behind their product from the first phone call until the end of the installation.
There is another thread on here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...8&goto=newpost
There is a ton of good information on this thread about how customer service should be handled.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Andy, thanks
As the load increases, this angle can approach zero degrees on up to a positive degree. Negative is downward from the frame, zero is parallel, and positive is upward to the frame.
On my curb side my angle is negative and on the street side almost Zero. As I read the above statement you linked me to, my axles sound like they are ok. I know they do not bottom out since there are no tire marks on the wheel fender.
72tradewind,
What criteria in the ride was improved? Do you mean in the trailer or in the tow vehicle? I am new to pulling a large trailer and it's hard for me to tell what the ride should be like.
I got someone to pull my rig last weekend while I rode in the camper. He said my trailer was pulling better than his but that don't really mean much about the condition of my axle. My trailer is 1970 and his is 1971.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
FrenchBern.

Each side of a torsion axle is independent of the other side.

Therefore something can happen to one side of the axle and not the other.

On old trailers, it is not unusual for one side to be lower than the other.

The rubber rods do not necessarily age out at the same rate. Why? Who knows.

Additionally, the rubber rod composition used from 1974 and older axles, as we know it today, lost it's resiliency in time. If the trailer was parked for years without execising the rubber rods, that added to the problem.

Anything that uses rubber, must be exercised to some degree, once in a while. If not, then the rubber takes a "set" and no longer works the same.

The "ride" of the trailer cannot easily be felt by the driver of the tow vehicle.

The rule of thumb is, if the axle or axles are bad or nearly so, the trailer will have a rougher ride.

That rougher ride can cause many different type damages to the trailer, it's components and to the appliances.

Airstream or Argosy trailers like a soft ride. When that ride becomes harsh, for whatever the reason, then various problems will develop, that could have been avoided.

Andy
Old 07-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern
In a nutshell these measurements are reduced over ½” when the wheel is jacked and the adjacent wheel measurement increase by around 1 1/2 inch . What’s next? Thanks in advance for your cooperation
If the top of your wheel is hiding under the skin of the skin of the trailer, that would be a good indication of needing a replacement axle.
If the trailer gives you a hard ride, that is another good indication of needing a new axle.
When in doubt, rip it out.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:54 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
axle replacement

To muddy hollows question, no I did not take before and after pictures, but it did raise the trailer about 3 inches. To FrenchBerns question, the difference in ride was noticed in the truck, it is not getting pounded by the trailer since the trailer now has (restored) suspension. Much smoother!!