Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2003, 01:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 32' Excella
BRICK , NJ
New Axles for '76 Argosy 26

Hi folks - I haven't posted for awhile, work tends to get in the way of the more pleasant parts of life, it seems. I just wanted to say that thanks to reading the threads in this forum, and especially the good advice given by Andy at Inland RV I was able to diagnose the problems I was having with my 1976 Argosy 26. You see, rivets were popping, bulkheads were shifting, and things had started falling all over after a short tow. I had replaced the shocks with new, and the problem persisted. After reading on this forum, and on the Inland RV website about axle droop, I concluded that was my problem. Talking with Andy on the phone, confirmed my diagnosis. I ordered 2 new complete axles from Andy, and was able to upgrade my GVWR by 10% and go from 10" to 12" brakes for the same price! The axles were drop shipped to my installer in NJ, no problem, complete as ordered. I am very pleased with the result. Smooth towing and handling, and amazing brake performance are now mine! I can now haul down my rig by trailer brakes alone in an emergency (99 Dodge Quad Cab Long bed 2500 V10 4X4), something the old brakes could could only dream about. The price was cheap for all the piece of mind and added years of use from the Argosy it has bought. Many thanks to this forum and Andy for the good advice. - Guy
91Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:48 PM   #2
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
New Axles

I just purchased a 1969 Overlander. I've been researching on what to do first to the trailer and my first inclination is to make sure it is road worthy. After reading Andy's, The Dura-Torque Axle article from Inland RV, I'm inclined to replace the axles, brakes, hubs, drums, and shock absorbers first. My trailer seems to have "0" angle torsion arms when empty. When I pulled the trailer home, it pulled great but I think I would be more at ease knowing the axle assembly was brand new on a 34 year old trailer. It seems like you had a good experience with Inland RV.

John
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

My axels were shot too. Had rivets popping from the trim pieces. Like you said it towed well. But I didn't want to shake it to death. Axels were easy to change. Less than 2 hours for both. I think mine has been in an accident at one point in time (there is a seam and rivet work that isn't original). Therefore the axel was a little tight fitting in between the frame. Needed a prybar and a little muscle or it may have taken less time.
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote