Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
New Axles and Winter Storage

Hello all, it's that time of the year here in the Northeast. Time to winterize the trailer. We installed new dexter axles this summer. Dexter recommends that for periods of long storage, the weight be removed from the axles. So, I ask you, my fellow Airsteamers, does anybody out there set their trailer on jack stands for the winter? It would seem like a good thing to do for the tires as well as the axles. What do you all think? Thanks, George.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
Hello all, it's that time of the year here in the Northeast. Time to winterize the trailer. We installed new dexter axles this summer. Dexter recommends that for periods of long storage, the weight be removed from the axles. So, I ask you, my fellow Airsteamers, does anybody out there set their trailer on jack stands for the winter? It would seem like a good thing to do for the tires as well as the axles. What do you all think? Thanks, George.
George,

Did Dexter define "long storage"? When do you plan on being able to use the trailer?

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Yes on the Jackstands.
I found an old pair at a flea market for $5.00 and they work fine. I place them under the main frame of the trailer closer to the rear axle. I keep the tires about 1/2" off the ground.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
George,

Did Dexter define "long storage"? When do you plan on being able to use the trailer?

Bill
I believe Dexter defines "long term" as more than 3 months. Next time out will be April 09.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Yes on the Jackstands.
I found an old pair at a flea market for $5.00 and they work fine. I place them under the main frame of the trailer closer to the rear axle. I keep the tires about 1/2" off the ground.
Do you use one pair, or two pairs of jackstands? George.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Axle Exercise?

What is considered enough "exercise" for the axles? We had our AS on a lot for 3 months at Livingston and then pulled her home in August about 80 miles where she will sit. Our next outing is not until Thanksgiving to Garner State Park. Is that enough or should I put up on jacks in between trips?
James
Old 11-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones View Post
What is considered enough "exercise" for the axles? We had our AS on a lot for 3 months at Livingston and then pulled her home in August about 80 miles where she will sit. Our next outing is not until Thanksgiving to Garner State Park. Is that enough or should I put up on jacks in between trips?
James
James,

Inland Andy answered that question in another thread and I believe the answer was less than 1,000 miles per year. Someone with better search abilities than me will need to find that thread.

2air' where are you with your search expertise?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I used just one pair of stands throughout the entire trailer refurbishment. I placed them just behind the rear axle. The trailer was very steady.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I put mine on 4 stands and the front jack. Just up high enough the wheels turn. It really isn't that expensive and takes just a couple minuets to put on and take off. I use a 12 ton hydraulic jack I bought for $23. As someone else said in another thread (sorry I can't give credit where credit is due), "it may not do any good, but it sure can't hurt".

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
TT up on blocks to save tires?

Quote:
... So, I ask you, my fellow Airsteamers, does anybody out there set their trailer on jack stands for the winter? It would seem like a good thing to do for the tires as well as the axles. What do you all think? Thanks, George.
Covered in this thread:

TT up on blocks to save tires?

Another thing to remember when comparing "axles" in general .....an open car, utility, horse, or enclosed trailer is usually stored in an unloaded condition, while a travel trailer, of any manufacture, is usually in storage at near it's max allowable weight. The extra compression imposed on a loaded axle while in storage (either spring or torsion) HAS to take a toll on the longevity of the elastic support.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I have my race car trailer and she sits at 11500 lbs. I have never lifted it, and would cringe trying. My car my tools my golfcart ect. I dont know if it is correct, but I dont know of anyone who does. I couldnt imagine lifting my buddys 40' 5th wheel. He has a lift ect in his, and has been on the ground since 1998 when he bought it new.

None of us have axles issues. I think it is an isolated circumstance.
But they can fail...

Let me tell ya these trailers are flying up the road trying to get to the track. Maintenance is very important. I xcan say tires are replaced about every 3 years . They just get worn out.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
87 that is one heck of a good looking trailer. Nice ideas when it comes to jacking plate and tire mount. really a clean lookin unit
Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
For longevity, all torsion axles, regardless of brand, should have most of the weight removed when in storage, for an extended period.

Unfortunately, the "extended period" time seems to vary, depending on climates, which vary within itself.

Certainly, reducing the load on the axles, won't hurt a thing.

But, it could help, and should help.

Again, each owner to his own. If you do not reduce the weight, only time will really answer the question, in your case. If you don't reduce the weight, and the rubber rods take a set, then it will be to late to say, "I should have reduced the weight."

Historically, removing the weight, pays dividends.

That information comes from people that deal with axles everyday, which eliminates personal opinions.

The choice is yours, of course.

Andy
Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Andy. In your opinion or from the manufacturer of these axles, would it possibly be worse to leave a load on the axles in warm weather or freezeing weather? I would think that in areas that freeze would be worse on the axles [rubber rods] than like Southern California area.
My trailer only gets out a few times a year so far, but when it does get out, it goes for, usually 1,000 miles or more per trip. In my parking situation, it would be very difficult to jack up, put on stands, and wait for the next earthquake to knock it off the stands; So my trailer will just have to sit on the ground. I think in the long run, new axles would be a lot cheaper than right side sheet metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 224 (Large).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	71297   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 223 (Large).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	71298  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"