Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
New Axles

I have a 75 31 LY and it has about 5 degree up angle. I need new axles also.

The question is should I go with the stock 3200# and 22.5 or 3500# and or higher down angle?

I called two different dexter distributors here in the Seatle area and there prices are different. cheapest is $430 per axle, regular bearing and complete with brakes. They both confirmed that what they need is the serial number from the existing axles. The #10 series has 10 inch brakes. maybe the a/s replacement axles not based on their standard specs and have 12 inch brakes? Also they have lug studs in the hubs not bolts like I have now and I don't thing I can use my existing aluminum rims as the studs might not be long enough. also I have to use tubes in the rims now because of the age and style.

I think that I am going to do this job myself...
comment?
garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
If it were me I would up the load rating a shade like you stated above and leave the angle the same.

Get the VIN to the distributor.

Depending on your tow vehicle the 10" drums would work OK. The 12" would be better and disc would be ideal.

If the rims won't hold air I would be looking for new rims too.

Do it yourself and save some money. Just don't cut corners on the parts too. Cause in the long run it will cost you not save you $.

And opinions on these rigs and axles will vary quite a bit. And you have to decide what it is that will work for you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthbf

The question is should I go with the stock 3200# and 22.5 or 3500# and or higher down angle?

I called two different dexter distributors here in the Seatle area and there prices are different. cheapest is $430 per axle, regular bearing and complete with brakes. They both confirmed that what they need is the serial number from the existing axles. The #10 series has 10 inch brakes. maybe the a/s replacement axles not based on their standard specs and have 12 inch brakes? Also they have lug studs in the hubs not bolts like I have now and I don't thing I can use my existing aluminum rims as the studs might not be long enough. also I have to use tubes in the rims now because of the age and style.

comment?
The serial numbers on your axles are Henschen serial numbers.

They would be little use to Dexter.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
Andy,

There is more info related to dexter and their need of the serial number under another thread.
"1970verlander: How will I know if I need new AXLES? HELP! "
http://www.airforums.com/forum...elp-24964.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM CRUMP
Congrats on your purchase of the overlander, I also recently bought a 70 overlander, the axles were shot, with a negitive torsion arm angle on original axles. I have a good trailer shop here locally, they mainly work on livestock trailers, they are dexter dealers and ordered my axles direct from dexter. This dexter dealer told me dexter is now building axles for the airstream factory as original equipment on new airstreams. When they called the order in, the dexter people wanted the SERIAL NUMBERS that are on a plate on the axle tube, after they got the serial # they built my axles, took 3 weeks for delivery, the install went smooth, a perfect match, right down to the 12 in brakes. also I ordered the NEV-R-LUBE bearings, they are a sealed bearing that never require packing and repacking, according to the dealer they last 100000 miles before replacement, with this set up you will not be able to use your stock wheels, I installed 4 new dexter 2600# wheels and goodyear marathon radials. The results: Happy camper to say the least. Put 1000 miles on. Really rides nice. If you have shot axles I would recommend before you do anything get those axles replaced, riding around on shot axles will beat the daylights out of your coach. If you have any questions I sent you a PM with my phone #
garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthbf

comment?
You will need a downrated #11 axle, if you go with Dexter. You will also need to order reverse sidemount brackets, and establish whether your axle have a high profile or low profile mount. Critical measurements are inside mounting bracket, and hub face. Make sure the axle gets "camber". ( the slight bend in the middle)
Armed with those dimensions, you can order a set of axles that should fit pretty close to perfect. You will have to drill 8 new holes for the axle mounting bolts, though.
Dexter can downrate the suspension in an otherwise too heavy axle so that you get the correct size axle tube and the 12x2/6bolt wheel pattern brake drum size. The studs are fine with your alloy wheels, you will have to buy alloy wheel lug nuts.

If you want a set of axles that bolts right in, then go with the Henschen axles. You will gain installation advantages for $$$, but not quality. Both Henschen and Dexter make a very fine product, in my experience. I have bought and installed both.