Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
New Member
 
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
New Axle Rating for '55 Flying Cloud 22'

I am about to replace the original axle on my 1955 Flying Cloud 22 and am looking for advice on weight rating. Trailer is all original and had a brochure weight of around 2900 lbs. I don't carry a lot of weight and do not want the suspension to be overly stiff. Any recommendations on new axle weight rating? I am thinking 3500-4000 lbs?

Thanks,

Keith
__________________

__________________
ckmosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmosley View Post
I am about to replace the original axle on my 1955 Flying Cloud 22 and am looking for advice on weight rating. Trailer is all original and had a brochure weight of around 2900 lbs. I don't carry a lot of weight and do not want the suspension to be overly stiff. Any recommendations on new axle weight rating? I am thinking 3500-4000 lbs?

Thanks,

Keith
Keith.

The following are axle weight ratings for the 22 foot Airstreams that used torsion axles.

The weights changed in time due to early failures.

1961, 1962 3600 pounds
1963, 1964 4000 pounds
1965, 1966, 1967 and 1968 5000 pounds.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Melody Ranch's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,960
Images: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Just curious....does your original 55 Cloud have a torsion axle? You have an original with the solid axle...they don't wear out.
__________________
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
RM66caravel's Avatar
 
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,286
I just changed my axle and found that 66 rims do not fit the new axle went from a 2 3/8 hub to a 2 5/8 hub and now new rims!
Cliff
__________________
Gotta get busy! Have a great day! Now where did I put those revits?
RM66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
New Member
 
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Just curious....does your original 55 Cloud have a torsion axle? You have an original with the solid axle...they don't wear out.

I have the original solid axle. It seems to me that many on the forums recommend new axles on old trailers due to age? I would rather keep the solid axle for originality. However, the trailer is riding rough and certainly needs some work.

New shocks seem easy, but I am concerned that it may need leaf springs - is there a good way to determine if the leaf springs need replaced? I don't believe leaf springs in that size are commonly available, but I am sure I could have some custom made as this is done all the time in the off-road world.

I certainly appreciate all thoughts and information.
__________________
ckmosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
You may also find that the new brakes do not fit the old spindles or drums. I had that problem on my 1954 Liner and decided to replace the axles and springs.

The new axles on old trailers mainly relates to the torsion axles, starting in 1961 I believe, not the old spring axles.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmosley View Post
I have the original solid axle. It seems to me that many on the forums recommend new axles on old trailers due to age? I would rather keep the solid axle for originality. However, the trailer is riding rough and certainly needs some work.

New shocks seem easy, but I am concerned that it may need leaf springs - is there a good way to determine if the leaf springs need replaced? I don't believe leaf springs in that size are commonly available, but I am sure I could have some custom made as this is done all the time in the off-road world.

I certainly appreciate all thoughts and information.
__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Moderator dude
 
Action's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,067
Images: 13
Keep the axle and replace the items that are worn.
Leaf springs
Brake parts and wheel bearings
Replacing the axle means re-engineering the assembly and mountings. The solid axle it self does not wear out unless it is bent or has worn wheel bearing surfaces.

A new leaf pack will solve the ride quality and ride height issues. It is what "suspends" the entire trailer. Depending on where you are, most spring shops will handle your trailer in under a day. The last set of springs I bought I ordered online and installed the spring packs myself. Easier than switching out an axle assembly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
__________________

__________________
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flying Cloud :: 1958 Airstream Flying Cloud Cloud58 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 09:32 AM
2010 Airstream Flying Cloud LIKE NEW!!!!! S2010 Airstream Flying Cloud LIKE NEW!!!! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 11-11-2010 04:40 PM
2010 Airstream Flying Cloud LIKE NEW!!!!! S2010 Airstream Flying Cloud LIKE NEW!!!! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 11-04-2010 04:40 PM
2010 Airstream Flying Cloud BRAND NEW!!!!! S2010 Airstream Flying Cloud BRAND NEW!! eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 11-03-2010 04:50 PM
Axle rating on new Safari Sport Airperson Axles 5 09-19-2007 08:21 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.