Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
New axle purchase timing

Andy of Inland RV pointed out that I most probably need new axles. Was wondering if you are doing other restore/renovations that you expect to take a year or longer, would it be best to do the axles last or immediately. I thought I read somewhere that the axles go bad if not being used.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Andy of Inland RV pointed out that I most probably need new axles. Was wondering if you are doing other restore/renovations that you expect to take a year or longer, would it be best to do the axles last or immediately. I thought I read somewhere that the axles go bad if not being used.
Tosion axles go bad if a substancial weight is applied to them over an extended period of time, ball park 2 to 3 years or longer, without being moved or exercised.

They can go for several years without going bad, if they are on a shelf, or if on a trailer and the bulk of the weight is removed.

In the case of a major trailer overhaul, jack stands or at least stabilizer jacks should be in place, to keep the frame in alignment, so that furniture and the like are properly located and fastened.

Once torsion axles have been placed in actual extensive load carrying situation, they should be on the road at least eve3ry 18 months, or more often if possible.

In the case of long term storage, the majority of weight should be removed from the axles. That can be done with the tires on a 2 x 6 and the trailer elevated and supported with jack stands, so that the weight on each tire is minimized.

Torsion axles do not go bad, when there is no weight impressed upon the rubber rods.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Silverhoot,
I have never replaced an axle and I do not know how long it takes a stationary trailer to ruin a set of axles. but I think budget would be a large consideration when to do it.

You could always do the axles early and leave the trailer jacked up, properly supported, and put the wheels on once your rennovation is complete. That way there will be no weight on the new axles and it will make it all the harder for thieves to make off with your pride and joy.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
If the rig isn't going to be used on the road until your restoration is pretty much finished, then it probably doesn't matter when you do it. Just do it before you start journeying about!

Lynn
Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Deitz645,

Great points and had not thought of merely jacking it up until completion. Thanks!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
SilverHoot,
As an aside...you are from Redding, CA and I live outside of Reading, PA. (as in the Reading Railroad on the Monopoly board) Pronounced the same way, but different spellings.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote