I took the plunge.
After much internal debate and fact finding, I took the leap required to make my 1960
Safari 22' basket case safe for the road.
The old axle/hydraulic brakes had to go.
1. Bearings were shot.
2. Old stromberg hydraulic controller wasn't going to hookup to anything on any my tow-rig.
3. Brakes are legally required in this country.
4. The drop axle/tow position was just too low (ground clearance wise)
Considered the hydralic to electric upgrade beautifully outlined on VintageAirstream.com, but my spindles were ooold.
I bought an off the shelf solution. 74" wide 3,500 pound, electric brake axle that had adjustable spring brackets. Translation: I just unbolted the old rust hunk u-bolts and bolted the shiny new axle on. Existing springs worked fine. Some wiring and an brake controller and I'm on the road. The new setup is a straight axle, as opposed to the drop axle. I need the ground clearance and gained 4", as back country (off-road) site selection needs to be an option.
Only regret is not having a pneumatic wrench to remove 40+ year old rusted bolts. My shoulders are still sore.
Total package: axle, wheels, tires to controller (I did it all)= $400
Any questions, happy to help