Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dayton , Washington
New axle for a 1948 Curtis Wright

I'm undecided as to what to do for a new axle or redo what we have on our 1948 Curtis Wright 22'. The axle has been replaced at some time and just had one side redone by the previous owner (new brakes, bearings and hub/drum. Scenerio one is to buy new springs/hardware for both sides and new brakes/drums for the one side at about $300 or less. Scenerio two is to go to a torsion style at increased price (have tried 3 times to reach the major supplier/advisor on this forum to no avail so I don't know how much or what's involved). We will do the labor either way. What say you, oh aluminum trailer suspension gods...Thanks....Dave

Old 01-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynams View Post
I'm undecided as to what to do for a new axle or redo what we have on our 1948 Curtis Wright 22'. The axle has been replaced at some time and just had one side redone by the previous owner (new brakes, bearings and hub/drum. Scenerio one is to buy new springs/hardware for both sides and new brakes/drums for the one side at about $300 or less. Scenerio two is to go to a torsion style at increased price (have tried 3 times to reach the major supplier/advisor on this forum to no avail so I don't know how much or what's involved). We will do the labor either way. What say you, oh aluminum trailer suspension gods...Thanks....Dave
Being sick, does slow a person down.

Check the answer to your PM, on your PM.

Andy

Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Throw that stuff all away! Start with a new straight axle that comes with new brakes and hubs. I'd even keep the old springs and mount the axle below the spring mounts to get more ground clearance.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Changing the axle design (from one type to another) will greatly increase your cost and effort as the trailer was designed for the original system. The original design still has mased produced parts that are available. Moving to a new design means creating a custom mounting system to your unit and hoping it works as far as taking the stress load or other factors. Unless you are or have access to a mechanical engineer it is a one off system that has not been tested.

Then there is the liability piece that some vendors have made postings concrening added risk. Alter the design and have an unfortunate event and the libility for that event becomes the designer/installer's burdon. The likelihood of an event like that would be very rare and yet it does represent an increase in liability. However it would not be a desireable end that your insurance company declined a claim for your trailer that the axle came loose or worse.

Have fun.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ogden , Utah
I'm at the point of ordering a new axle system for my 1946 25' Spartan.

I remember reading here that the torsion style is the way to go.....I'm wondering if there really is any advantage over the stock, yet new, leaf spring system maybe with shocks.

Also I'm considering using a straight axle in place of the 4" dropped axle thus giving a bit more ground clearance as the trailer may not clear the driveway at my family's cabin.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullswitha40 View Post
I'm at the point of ordering a new axle system for my 1946 25' Spartan.

I remember reading here that the torsion style is the way to go.....I'm wondering if there really is any advantage over the stock, yet new, leaf spring system maybe with shocks.

Also I'm considering using a straight axle in place of the 4" dropped axle thus giving a bit more ground clearance as the trailer may not clear the driveway at my family's cabin.
Torsion axles, provide a much softer ride for the trailer.

They are easily mounted to the frame.

The only thing that is needed, is 3 different dimensions, and the total weight that you plan on using.

Andy
Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Dayton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Being sick, does slow a person down.

Check the answer to your PM, on your PM.

Andy
pm sent
Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynams View Post
pm sent
None received.

Andy
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
A typical rubber torsion axle manufaturers will seen several things. First, they need to know the weight rating of the axle. They need to know the outside dimention of the mount (if it mounts directly to a frame), the hub face to hub face dimension, and the wheel pattern along with what type of brakes and the torsion arm angle. Disc brakes are common, but I still use the drum brakes. Keep in mind, the Flexiride is adjustable for angle.

Trailer Torsion Axles
They have decent prices.

I wouldn't recommend these for the Airstream trailers because they aren't bolt on replacements, but for a new trailer, or a converted trailer they should be fine. I have had good luck with them.

Keep in mind, changing from a leaf spring trailer, you may need a spacer to drop the axle down somewhat. If so it would be a good time to take the welded shakle mounts off and put a stiffener where they were and mount the rubber torsion axle to that stiffener.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ogden , Utah
I understand the torsion units weigh more.....not sure if that is true or not?

If true the weight might be a factor even though it is ?????? unsprung weight or do I have that backwards
Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullswitha40 View Post
I understand the torsion units weigh more.....not sure if that is true or not?

If true the weight might be a factor even though it is ?????? unsprung weight or do I have that backwards
Torsion axle assemblies weigh less than leaf spring axles, which include the axle itself & the leaf springs & shackles. This is one of the reasons why Wally went with this design. Remember his motto "ounces makes pounds" The other big advantage of torsion axles is their increased ground clearance over the leaf spring design.
Colin

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags