Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #1

1973 29' Ambassador
betterton , Maryland
New Axle Concerns

I have taken my 1973 Ambassador, to a trailer business to have two new Dexter axles placed on the Airstream. I got a call stating that the axles were on the Airstream, and that it was ready to go. Before I hooked up the Airstream I was checking out the new axles and I found that one tire on each axle was right up against the inside wheel well. When I told the manager of this matter he went out to inspect the tires. I also told him that I would not be able to take the Airstream down the road in this condition. He told me that he would give me a call later in the day has to a solution to this problem. When he did call he advised me that he would order new rims that would off set the tires by an half inch from the inside of the wheel well. The tires are new ST 225/15. Any opinions on this situation. Thanks
ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Axles

Ducks

I think you have a major problem here that needs lots of forum members to be aware of so they can help you. This post should not be buried in the middle of this thread. I recommend starting your own thread about the axle problem

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hang in there

Lots of people are looking at your thread here, and I am certain that someone much smarter and more experienced than me will come along and tell you exactly what's wrong.

In the meanwhile: it sounds a lot like they miscalculated the axle length needed, doesn't it?

And I can't imagine the fix is as easy as changing the offset on your wheels, either.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The bearings are designed for 0-offset wheels.

It does sound like the axles were ordered too narrow overall, probably an issue of the measurement from axle mounting plate to hub face if the axles mounted up right, but we'd need pictures and/or measurements to be sure.

The cheap fix of going to a different offset will cost you in bearing failures. Also, if it's only *ONE* tire on each axle touching the wheel well, it seems like either the axles aren't mounted properly (they should be centered, after all) or the axles aren't symmetrical.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks View Post
I have taken my 1973 Ambassador, to a trailer business to have two new Dexter axles placed on the Airstream. I got a call stating that the axles were on the Airstream, and that it was ready to go. Before I hooked up the Airstream I was checking out the new axles and I found that one tire on each axle was right up against the inside wheel well. When I told the manager of this matter he went out to inspect the tires. I also told him that I would not be able to take the Airstream down the road in this condition. He told me that he would give me a call later in the day has to a solution to this problem. When he did call he advised me that he would order new rims that would off set the tires by an half inch from the inside of the wheel well. The tires are new ST 225/15. Any opinions on this situation. Thanks
What are the specs on your new axles?

I suspect that they were not ordered correctly.

The mounting brackets should be 61 3/8 inches and the hub face should be 80 inches.

Also, what size tires are you using?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Where in Maryland is the trailer located? I might be able to give it a look over for you.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Oh, I see. Upper Eastern Shore.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I just had a look at our '74 Sovereign and there is about 1" clearance on one side and 1.5" on the other. This is between the sidewall of the tire and the wheel well. I'm thinking there was a similar variation on your trailer but it didn't matter until axles were installed that moved the wheels in.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
how can the shocks mount with it that close?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
As far as i feel these are wrong axles, I ordered new axles from Colin Hyde they fit perfect. I would not accept this under any conditions & demand moneys back as they [messed up]
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
We're the one tires that were too close on the same side of the trailer?

You were right in not accepting the trailer and towing it.

The vendor's solution is not the answer either. Any offset will reduce your bearing life, ruin spindle's and run hot that normal.

It does seem to be a measurement error, I can't see a mounting error, but....?

Have them double check the measurements and mounting.

As well, with 62overlander, are the shocks mounted correctly? They should be parallel with the wheel and hub.

I would not accept anything less that perfect.

Sid
Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I bet they talked him out of shocks. Dexter does not use or recommend them. Only Airstream uses shocks with their(Dexters) axles.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Check the measurements and if they are wrong (which they are), have them get the correct axles. You didn't have offset rims when you went in there so you shouldn't have offset rims when you leave.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Ask them for the old axles so you can compare the measurements. You should find that they have the measurements that Andy stated in his message.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
What was the outcome of this situation?
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would love to know the same. I am going over to the Eastern Shore today and would have swung by. One post might be the reason for no response....
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
In the very early 70's, many Airstream's had a different tire clearance from one side to the other.

It had to do with how the chassis was attached to the floor.

The chassis was tilted to 90 degrees, and was only supported at the coupler and bumper.

That caused the chassis to sag, of course, in the middle.

Then the floor, which was assembled as one piece, was attached.

I caught that error when I was visiting a dealer in Ohio, while I was with Caravanner Insurance, training that dealership.

Shortly afterwards, that boo bo method was corrected.

Andy
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #18

1973 29' Ambassador
betterton , Maryland
Checking In

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
What was the outcome of this situation?
I went back to the trailer business and told them that I was not going to accept different rims to correct the problem. I also told them that I wanted the axles sent back to Dexter to change the height setting on the axle so the AS was not setting low on the tires. The top edge of the outside wheel well was about level with the top of the rim. I felt if the AS was sitting higher that much less of the tire would be inside the wheel well. I did measure the distant between the front axle and the real axle and the measurement was the same. When the axles are replaced back on the AS I will re-check that measurement and that of the front axle. The tire size that is on the AS is ST225/75R15. Many thanks
ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I went back to the trailer business and told them that I was not going to accept different rims to correct the problem. I also told them that I wanted the axles sent back to Dexter to change the height setting on the axle so the AS was not setting low on the tires. The top edge of the outside wheel well was about level with the top of the rim. I felt if the AS was sitting higher that much less of the tire would be inside the wheel well. I did measure the distant between the front axle and the real axle and the measurement was the same. When the axles are replaced back on the AS I will re-check that measurement and that of the front axle. The tire size that is on the AS is ST225/75R15. Many thanks
If a dealer, especially a non Airstream dealer was asked to order axles for an Airstream, how would they know what the original specs were, let alone increase them to raise the trailer higher than original.

Some Airstream parts, should be obtained from an Airstream dealer, who "hopefully" knows exactly what to order.

Maybe that's why only one Airstream dealer specializes in axles, amoung other things.

Not know where to start, doesn't help very much to get to the end.

There is more to ordering a torsion axle for an Airstream, other than measurements.

Andy
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Those axles were doubly wrong, then. Sitting that low when they're brand new, someday when they wear out you'd probably be scraping the top of the wheel well with your tires and changing tires would be very difficult. On brand new axles you should see a few inches of tire above the upper edge of the rim and below the line of the wheel well. Maybe they were the wrong weight capacity, or the wrong start angle?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote