Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
New Axle

I decided to order axle and shocks for my 77 20 ft. Minuet from Inland RV.

Installed axle yesterday and everything bolted up no problem but, shock bracket is welded at side of arm where old one is in center and this causes shock mounts to be a little out of line.

My axle weighs 3000 lbs on Cat scales and even though axle was upgraded to 3500 lbs and starting angle is 35 degrees down, arm only has slight down angle under load. I believe 22.5 degree down starting angle and 3000 lb. rating axle would have slight up angle or at best be parallel right out of box.

Just by standing in rear of trailer and bouncing it you can tell big difference. My old axle was indeed past its prime.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Nosim,

How much does a 20' Minuet weigh? My Caravel weighs 2250 lbs. and the stock angle was 22.5 degrees down. The original axle thats on it now is resting a about parallel after 43 years of service. I expect the new axle to be down a few inches (and conversely, the trailer up a few inches).

Dan

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Trinity , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan
Nosim,

How much does a 20' Minuet weigh? My Caravel weighs 2250 lbs. and the stock angle was 22.5 degrees down. The original axle thats on it now is resting a about parallel after 43 years of service. I expect the new axle to be down a few inches (and conversely, the trailer up a few inches).

Dan
From owners manual:
GVWR 3500 lbs.
GAWR 3000 lbs.
Dry weight as equiped 2668 lbs.
Dry tonque weight as equiped 436 lbs.

Rechecked my scale ticket axle weight was actually 2900 lbs. even.
Did not weigh tonque seperatly.

My old axle had probaly 8-10 degrees up angle and I gained about 3-4 inch height with new axle. Does not sound like much difference but trailer looks to be a lot higher.

Henschen web site shows parallel arm at rated load for new axle with 22.5 degree starting down angle.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
For an extra $50, my dexter dealer shipped one of my two axles to their factory (a one way ticket) and they copied it there (times two). No fuss, and no measuring mistakes. I was very happy with the end result, and didn't have to measure a thing...By the way, not to cause trouble, but I sided with their engineers (and a few well traveled forum members) and left off the shocks...We have done 2500 miles now with the same used propane lamp mantle still intact, and have never had a cabinet door pop open.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Trinity , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsmtnlab
For an extra $50, my dexter dealer shipped one of my two axles to their factory (a one way ticket) and they copied it there (times two). No fuss, and no measuring mistakes. I was very happy with the end result, and didn't have to measure a thing...By the way, not to cause trouble, but I sided with their engineers (and a few well traveled forum members) and left off the shocks...We have done 2500 miles now with the same used propane lamp mantle still intact, and have never had a cabinet door pop open.
That is good to know a little late for me though. For what it is worth my 30+ year old shocks felt no different than new shocks.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsmtnlab
For an extra $50, my dexter dealer shipped one of my two axles to their factory (a one way ticket) and they copied it there (times two). No fuss, and no measuring mistakes. I was very happy with the end result, and didn't have to measure a thing.
Did the new axles bolt right up or did you have to elongate the holes and shave the c-channel as others have done?

I will be replacing mine this year and this may be a good option.