Old 05-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
All three of mine have 6-lugs on 5-1/2" diameter (not three wheels, of course, but three trailers and 10 wheels, but I wasn't sure someone of your youth would get it).

I think that's pretty standard for the 71-75 years (maybe more) for all models.

So how bad is it being over 30? Have they given you your soylent green ticket yet? Or maybe you just don't feel trusted (jees, I hope you get that one)?

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #114
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium

So how bad is it being over 30? Have they given you your soylent green ticket yet? Or maybe you just don't feel trusted (jees, I hope you get that one)?
(in my best Phil Hartman impression of Charlton Heston) "it's made out of peeeeeopllle! It's PEEEEOPLLLLE!!!"

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #115
Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
So how bad is it being over 30?
I'm doing pretty good, haven't had to redo my floorboards yet.
Quote:
Have they given you your soylent green ticket yet? Or maybe you just don't feel trusted (jees, I hope you get that one)?
I'm not even sure I trust myself now
Old 05-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #116
wol
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
memphis , Tennessee
I received my axles from Axis this week. I put them on yesterday by myself everything fit perfect I couldn't have wanted them to fit any better. I hated to see that they no longer make axles for our trailers. I hope my axles were not the ones that made them decide to quit building axles for us.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wol
I received my axles from Axis this week. I put them on yesterday by myself everything fit perfect I couldn't have wanted them to fit any better. I hated to see that they no longer make axles for our trailers. I hope my axles were not the ones that made them decide to quit building axles for us.
Care to share the exact description and specifications that you provided Axix, just in case they can be prevailed upon to build another set?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:06 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
hello, all you great readers of this thread!

Don't despair, yet. I am confident that we can devise a "standard" axle for the 69-75 years that would satisfy Axis. Let's let this rest for a couple of weeks and wait until I get my "repaired" axle back and see how it works. I can say that the service has been great so far, even if the axle didn't bear the specified load. All the other parameters were dead on. The axle went into the frame perfectly, just like WOL's.

I'm not trying to exclude other year groups, but I believe that if we get together and develop three or four "standards", we can help ourselves and Axis--they've got to be losing money on these onesy-twoseys and we're spending way to much time fretting over the right measurements. We can solve those mutual problems with a little patience.

If anyone wants to see the order sheet I sent to Axis, PM me and I'll send you the Excel file.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #119
wol
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
memphis , Tennessee
I shipped Axis one of my axles and had them build me two axles like the one I shipped them.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:32 AM   #120
Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
i for one would be really into and help i could add to getting a standard together for Axis to use. It might be too late for me, since i need something now. Still a great idea.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #121
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
axle standards

The "standard" for Airstream axles from 1969 up to the introduction of the wide body was a mounting bracket to bracket dimension of 61 3/8" and a spindle arm down angle of 22 1/2. The problems seem to lie in installers wanting their brackets "exactly" 61 3/16" or 61 13/32" or 61 7/16" when you put an axle up to the frame and torque a Grade 8 , 5/8" bolt down, a 1/16 or even an 1/8 of an inch doesn't make alot of difference. The real difference is in what folks add or subtract on their trailer, making a difference in the required capacity of their new axles.

ZoomZoom
Old 05-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
ZoomZoom, excellent info.

Rivka, can you measure your axle plate dimension, inside to inside?

Here's what I had on my Caravel--61-5/16"
My Overlander--61-3/8"
My Sovereign--61-9/16" (at the aft end of the plates, I'll measure again in the middle and front, later!)

I think ZoomZoom is absolutely right. Since most of us do this only once, we don't have any judgement about tolerances, so we cut it as thin as possible. Now that I've been a "student" of this axle thing, I think I worried waaaay too much about the dimensions.

While out measuring this morning I noticed something that threw me for a moment. My Sovereign wheel position looked like the swing arms were down and my axle was in good shape (which I knew was wrong). Both my Overlander and Sovereign axles are up identically, about 5 degrees (by eyeball). But here's how they look, Sovereign on left, Overlander on right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5344 sovereign wheel well-s.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	21582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5346 overlander wheel well copy.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	21583

The suspension design (axle plate, shocks, axle, mounting plates and bolts, etc.) look identical, except the Sovereign has a strengthened frame aft of the axle plate.

The wheel well design is obviously different, with the skirt much higher on the Sovereign. Does anyone know if/when the design changed? Is this a "feature" of longer Airstreams, or did the skirts go up after 1973? (no, they went up in 1968, lol, that's a joke, son)
Old 05-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #123
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
My two cents!!!!

All,

I can't speak for Axis, but I used to could.

I think the odd requests that cause difficulty are pretty straight forward.

1. Shock brackets
2. 6 on 5.5 hubs on a 3500# axle
3. Taking a lot of a sales persons time to custom spec one axle

Other than that, the Airstream axle is by the books and could easily fit the Axis order form. If one can complete an order form with no special requests I am sure Axis will build it.

Some customers would take 2-3 hours of my time (when I sold Axis axles) to order one axle that Axis likely profited $30.00 - $50.00 from - you do the math!

Custom dimensions are not the problem here.

Simply two cents from a fellow that "used to could".

Best Regards,
Henry
Old 05-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #124
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
I have been reading, with much interest, this great axle debate. And it seems to me that, in the case of axles, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and cause all sorts of problems when people over analyze things. Some times ignorace is bliss. Let the pro's do their job, and stay out of it.

A little less than a year ago, when Henry was a young pup, I ordered new axles from Axis. When I say "I ordered", I mean I found Henry, put him in touch with the RV repair shop in AZ, and they worked it out. I stayed out of the process as much as I could. I did have them increase the arm angle.

As far as I know, and I don't know noth'n bout axles, they came out just fine. I picked up the trailer in Jan. '06, hauled it 4100 miles around the west coast and back home to OH. Nothing droped off, the brakes worked, I'm a happy guy.

I can say, as a contractor, that the more someone hangs around me, asking questions, and making recomendations/changes, the aggravation level increases. When that happens, I don't want to be there, and I charge more. Or I don't take the job to start. Like I said, let the pro's do their job.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way Henry, I didn't know you were such an old coot, you sounded like such a young ambitious dude when I talked to you on the phone. Happy Retirement!

Tamis
Old 05-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #125
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Retirement is for old geezers......get back in the game, Henry!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Zepp, thank you so much for taking the pics of your Overlander and Sovereign. My Sovereign fender skirts are exactly like your Overlander, and I always wondered if the axle had got er done.....seemed like it was sittin' low to me, but the measurements we took at South Jersey RV has the axle still well within specs, so I think I'll hold off on a new one for now, given the fact that the Sovereign was on jack stands for 28+ years, and it does ride smooth.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #126
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Dudes!!!

Tamis,

Thanks for the kind words. A lot of wisdom in your statement. Yeah - I got some energy - I'm not a "standard" old fart!!!

Frederic,

It's not the "traditional" retirement - I don't sit still very well! I'm still in the game (sort of) - attempting to educate folks about axles on the forums.

Zep,

How's Axis progressing with your axle???? Please inform!

Best regards,
Henry