Old 04-30-2006, 12:47 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Apples to apples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Axis uses rubber rods that are stiffer than those used in Henschen axles.

Therefore, if you increase the weight rating of the Axis axle, that has the stiffer rubber rods, it will result in the trailer having a much stiffer ride. Depending on how you may or may not load the trailer, that could cause potentially a structural problem.

On the other hand, if you increase the rating to 4400 or 4500 pounds with the Henschen softer rubber rods, you would be OK.

The Axis rubber rods are made from extruded rubber, 80 Duro, that has a set test of 10.084 to 10.324 percent. They have a modulus test of 3700 pounds.

The Henschen rubber rods are made from molded rubber, 70 Duro, and have a set test of 9.026 to 9.154 percent. They have a modulus test of 2800 pounds.

The lower the set test, the better, and the lower the modulus test, the better, both of which result in a softer ride.

Andy
Andy,

The axle that you purchased from me when I worked at Axis may contain different rubber cords than the one Zep is referring to. The lengths and durometer may vary. In order for a "test" to be fair and comprehensive - one must compare apples to apples.

No flames intended - but you may have only tested one Axis axle - thus it is unsafe to speak in generalities or make "all inclusive" statements.

Respectfully,
Henry

Old 04-30-2006, 01:39 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello everyone,

I posted to pattersontoo ,commenting on his axle post .I believe that I caused offense to him in my wording about the rubber rods.I had no intention of trying to disparrage him in any way .I think the way I worded it sounded offensive ,but I did not mean to ,So I apologize to him .sometimes the thoughts come out wrong in writing the thought down, I see that my comment could be seen that way as i reread my posting ,I will be more careful in my future responses ,again I am sorry for that.

Scott

Old 04-30-2006, 01:48 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Hello everyone,

I posted to pattersontoo ,commenting on his axle post .I believe that I caused offense to him in my wording about the rubber rods.I had no intention of trying to disparrage him in any way .I think the way I worded it sounded offensive ,but I did not mean to ,So I apologize to him .sometimes the thoughts come out wrong in writing the thought down, I see that my comment could be seen that way as i reread my posting ,I will be more careful in my future responses ,again I am sorry for that.

Scott
I too apologize to Scott for any offense in my response to his response.
Not to take this off-topic but Scott and I have exchanged PM's regarding this. We handled a disagreement in a civil and private manner. I now feel that I have developed a new friendship from this private exchange.
I am sure that all of us can learn to settle disagreements in a private manner instead of airing it publicly and, quite possibly, causing more harsh feelings.
If Scott and I would have handled this differently we may not be on the friendly terms that I feel we are now.
Scott, I do sincerely apologize for any offense. Things get "read between the lines" in posts all of the time. Sometimes we all have to take what is written at face value.

***We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread***
Old 04-30-2006, 01:54 AM   #74
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Karma to Scott and Lou. It is nice to see people discuss an issue and come to an understanding!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:42 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Hear, hear!

Hear, Hear!

Moving back to the regularly scheduled thread....

Peace

Axel
Old 04-30-2006, 08:27 AM   #76
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
good job guys!

lou and scott,

thank you for working this out! i really would like it if everyone involved in this thread would use lou and scott as an example on how to be civil to each other!

this is one of the better threads on axle replacement, it would a shame to see it go into a downward spiral as so many in the past have.

lets try to use this thread as a way to get information out to others on the issues about axle replacement.

again, thanks to lou,scott,andy,zep,henry and everyone else who has contributed !

karma for all!

john
Old 05-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #77
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Andy,

The axle that you purchased from me when I worked at Axis may contain different rubber cords than the one Zep is referring to. The lengths and durometer may vary. In order for a "test" to be fair and comprehensive - one must compare apples to apples.

No flames intended - but you may have only tested one Axis axle - thus it is unsafe to speak in generalities or make "all inclusive" statements.

Respectfully,
Henry
Henry.

First, you or Axis have never sold Inland RV Center, Inc., an axle. That assumption is incorrect.

Second, what may or may not be, is a matter of being defensive. What "IS" and what we found is the our answer.

Third, a number of apples were compared to apples.

Fourth, your assumption that onle "one" Axis axle was tested, is incorrect.

Fifth, a laboratory report is "specific" and does not deal in generalities as you suggested.

The laboratory report speaks for itself, along with photo's. Each person that reads it, can form their own conclusions.

As we all know, "any" product has a given reputation, regardless of what it is. That reputation must stand on it's own two feet, without exceptions, maybe's, could of beens, should of beens, or excuses.

We really are surprised, that you no longer recommend the Axis product.

That laboratory report will be on our site, with test results and photo's, when all hurdles have been cleared.

Respectally.

Andy
Old 05-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
You fellas have got me so dang scarred to replace my axles-it looks like I only have two choices:

1. Buy some property to park my Airstream on and never move it again for fear of my 30 year old 5 degree up angle axles bursting into flames igniting the entire northern hemisphere

2. Buying a used school bus and cutting away everything from the floor up and mounting my trailer on top as a rudimentary Class "C" RV
Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #79
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevisgardne
You fellas have got me so dang scarred to replace my axles-it looks like I only have two choices:

1. Buy some property to park my Airstream on and never move it again for fear of my 30 year old 5 degree up angle axles bursting into flames igniting the entire northern hemisphere

2. Buying a used school bus and cutting away everything from the floor up and mounting my trailer on top as a rudimentary Class "C" RV
Well that is one way to make an axle repair.

And the thread is good to document Zep's progress.

You go Zep!

And keep us posted.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #80
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevisgardne

You ask a very good question.

The answer is very simple.

Whenever you wish to replace anything in, or on, your Airstream product, if you stick to the original factory specs, you won't go wrong.

On extremely rare occassions, will that not be true.

Airstream, every year spends tons of money, so that you, the owner, don't have down the road headaches, and for most part see to it that the correct replacement parts are still available, for many many years. In fact, some parts for 1969 trailers are still available from Airstream.

Trying to out engineer the factory most always is a futile effort.

I am basing that on 40 my years with Airstream.

Seldom does Chevy parts work ok on a Cadillac.

Andy
Old 05-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Well said.

Well said Andy!

After all of Airstreams years of experience and millions of dollars in Engineering led to using Dexter axles?

Regards,
Henry
Old 05-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #82
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Well said Andy!

After all of Airstreams years of experience and millions of dollars in Engineering led to using Dexter axles?

Regards,
Henry
Henry, be nice.

I know the reason for the shift, however brief as it may be.

When the reason becomes public, you may blush.

Please don't count too many chickens.

Andy
Old 05-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #83
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Gentleman, Please stay on topic of Led's new Axis axle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Sorry!

Action & Led,

Sorry for drifting a bit.

I agree Led is doing a great job - any updates?

Regards,
Henry