Old 07-07-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1963 16' Bambi
Philadelphia PA, and Takoma Park MD
Send a message via AIM to roadtrip07
new airstream owner..what should i do?

i recently acquired a 1963 16' bambi. i am not really knowledgable about airstreams, or trailers in general. this bambi has not been maintained for a long time. anyway, a friend reccomended i jack it up and replace the tires, brakes, and check the axle and bearings. replace the tires is obvious, since the dont really hold air and are cracked, and the brakes will also be replaced, but what kind of brakes should i look for? also, what should i look for in the axle and bearing, and what is a safe place to place the jack on the bambi?

roadtrip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Exclamation Welcome

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your purchase. Suggest you search "brakes" on this forum. Many of us have had to replace them. Fortunately our axles on our Sovereign are still good. Many forum members have Bambis and will offer their help.

Join us in the chat room on Tuesday at 8:00 p.m. central. You'll get your questions answered, especially since most members will be back from international by then.

Good luck with your "baby"

Beth and/or David

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Start by checking the axle condition.The best source for info is at , click on the axle link.With the trailer sitting empty the trailing arm of the axle should have a downward angle, see website.As a rule of thumb most older Airstreams need a new axle.The axles usually come with brakes installed.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Originally Posted by roadtrip07
... a friend reccomended i jack it up and replace the tires, brakes, and check the axle and bearings.

and what is a safe place to place the jack on the bambi?
You have a good friend. Follow their advise, take the wheels and drums off. Repack the bearings and replace the grease seal. Inspect the brake shoes, magnets and springs. Replace bad parts.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Axle condition

Please be advised that there is a high failure rate of the old Bambi and Caravel axles, because of the small spindle that was used.

The spindle simply fatigue cracks, causing the wheel to come off when the trailer is in motion.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking First things first!

I would do the inspection suggested in post #3 prior to any other work. If the rubber cords in your axle a shot, new brakes and bearings would not be prudent . Check the angle of the trailing arms first.

Depending on your findings – the rest will fall into place quickly. If a new axle is needed it can be ordered “complete” with all new componets. If not, parts are readily available from many sources.

Good luck and welcome to the forums. You will find many folks willing to help with your project.

Best Regards,

axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
And, since no one has said, ONLY jack the coach as the frame where the axle is attached, NOT ANYWHERE else, not on the axle itself, nowhere else on the frame, yo u can damage your axle and or coach that way.

AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote