Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Need opinions should we or shouldn't we

Do we need another axle. the new one thats on the trailer is welded on crooked????
We have 1967 Globe Trotter that was our first ground up restoration.
Over the years since 2005, we have had a tire problem with this trailer.
Load Range C Carlisle tires blew on the way home from Springfield International, so we replaced them with Load Range D in 2006 before going to Salem Oregon International. In 2010 with the now 4 year old Carlisle lLoad range D replacements, taking a 260 mile trip round trip, we blew off the roadside tread, resulting in wheelwell damage, and the curbside tire was completely out of round and warped by the time we got home. Now, I don't know if the deformation began on our way to Salida Colorado from Denver, I didn't check tire structure integrity with my hand, just air pressure, or back or both. All I know, is we can't keep tires on this trailer.
Just came in from the garage after measuring from a center point at the hitch to the axle mounts, and then again on the axle itself. Measurements show the curbside tire/axle is just a hair closer, just a bit over a 1/2 inch closer to the trailer front, making the roadside tire further back.
In anyone's opinion, utilizing Reese Dual Cam setup creating the hitch centering effect, is the trailer scuffing the tire tread enough to cause premature tire failure from excessive heat being the axle is in effect mounted to the trailer crooked?. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. BTW, we didn't not install the new Dexter ourselves.

Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
When I had my new Dexter put on my 20' Argosy, Luke, in Ft. Collins CO was very careful to be sure that from the ball center to the axle on either side was exactly the same dimension. It tracks beautifully and tire wear is not an issue. I did change to 16" wheels so I could use Goodrich LT225/75 R16 tires on it, as many seem to have problems with the ST tires in the 15 inch size.

So, no real opinion on what your issue is overall, but I would rather see the axle in the right position, and other tires on your rig.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
My advise, get the axle centered. With out that the trailer will not follow the TV correctly and will keep scuffing tires because the hitch is draging the trailer in one direction and the axle is set up to move the trailer in a slightly different direction. The tires are caught in between these forces and are taking the beating.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Why was the axle welded into the frame instead of bolted? That could be an issue in removing it. Probably want to find someone with a plasma cutter as it makes somewhat cleaner cuts that and oxy/acet. cutting torch. I would use grade 8 bolts to bolt it back in place.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
You should see some obvious sign of tire wear if it is running sideways... is the dual-cam adjusted perfectly?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
No hitch, ever made, will correct a trailer from towing "dog leg" because the axle was incorrectly installed.

What happened to the axle mounting plate? The square notch in it would not allow the axle to be installed except absolutely correct.

Check the axle out. If the rubber rods are still serviceable, then unweld the axle and weld it back in the correct place.

If the rubber rods are bads, then you can replace the axle and have it installed correctly.

The following article will help you to check the axle out yourself.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Sounds mostly like bad tires to me.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I would suggest you have it checked by someone who is experienced with this sort of thing. Perhaps a trailer repair business. This is not Airstream or even travel trailer specific, so anyone experienced with trailers could check it out for you. Just the fact one axle end is 1/2" closer to the hitch socket does not mean it is welded in the wrong place. It is entirely possible that the frame is slightly bent, deformed, or misconstructed in some way. You can get a lot of opinions here. However, I don't really believe they are of much value, unless they are from an experienced individual who has personally checked the trailer.

Ken
Old 06-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I would suggest you have it checked by someone who is experienced with this sort of thing. Perhaps a trailer repair business. This is not Airstream or even travel trailer specific, so anyone experienced with trailers could check it out for you. Just the fact one axle end is 1/2" closer to the hitch socket does not mean it is welded in the wrong place. It is entirely possible that the frame is slightly bent, deformed, or misconstructed in some way. You can get a lot of opinions here. However, I don't really believe they are of much value, unless they are from an experienced individual who has personally checked the trailer.

Ken
Ken.

It doesn't matter if the frame is bent, unless the bend is "huge".

What does matter, for the trailer to tow correctly, is the distance from the axle reference point, to the center of the back side of the A-frame jack.

That determines how the trailer will tow.

The reference point is the lowest forward part of the axle mounting bracket.

Andy
Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Ken.

It doesn't matter if the frame is bent, unless the bend is "huge".

What does matter, for the trailer to tow correctly, is the distance from the axle reference point, to the center of the back side of the A-frame jack.

That determines how the trailer will tow.

The reference point is the lowest forward part of the axle mounting bracket.

Andy
Since a large portion of an Airstream frame is not visible with the belly pan in place, it is entirely possible that there could be a "not visible" deformation of a longitudinal frame member between the front of the A-frame and your aforementioned "lowest forward part of the axle mounting bracket." Simple geometry will illustrate that, if this bend is on one side only (most likely case), then it would cause the "lowest forward part of the axle mounting bracket" to be closer to your forward reference point on that side with the bend. In my mind, the center of the backside of the A-frame jack is not very precise location and depends on the precision of the A frame jack installation. Not to mention that the trailer is towed with a force applied to the center of the hitch ball socket not the tongue jack.

Why was it necessary to take issue with my previous statement? I am not saying it is the most likely cause, only that it needs to be taken into consideration.

Ken

P.S. What does huge equal in inches or centimeters.