Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Need New Axles

My tandem axle 31' International is getting on in years and I am thinking of replacing axles. Present ones are 5200 lb rated. Dry trailer weight is 4920#
Would like to upgrade to a slightly higher weight rating, and also go to disc brakes. Does anyone know of a source? I live on the east coast.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
disc brakes

in order to go with disc brakes wont you have to revert back to a hydraulic brake system. never seen magnetic disk brakes?
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:33 AM   #3
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator
My tandem axle 31' International is getting on in years and I am thinking of replacing axles. Present ones are 5200 lb rated. Dry trailer weight is 4920#
Would like to upgrade to a slightly higher weight rating, and also go to disc brakes. Does anyone know of a source? I live on the east coast.
Dick
A word of caution!! I got my axles thru Inland RV and upgraded the wieght rating of the axles. Henschen shipped them to me by Yellow Frieght and Henschen does not put them on pallets! They arrived looking fine, but after the install, I found that both right brake drums were cracked and the bearings were damaged. Long story short, I had to pay $500.00 for the repairs. CHECK the axles before signing for them too include pulling the drums.
If you want the long story of pass the buck call me at 512-497-5120.

Don Primrose
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator
Dick
Navigator,

If you have two axles rated at 5200# each, I think I would stay with the lower weight rating. The rated capacity of the axles would be 10,400#, more than double your dry weight. If you went to higher capacity axles, the ride may be rough.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

FireFighter; Good point.

Don, Yeah, you are right, once they get your $$ its adiós. THANKS! for the warning.
They don't ship on pallets?? Someone must have given the shipper some bad pot.

Mark, My wheel well bottom edge is about 1" over the rim, and the present ride must
be a rocker, for at the end of a trip the inside was chaos, but I attributed that
to possible bad shocks?

Anybody know of an alternative to Henchen?
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Dick,
If your wheel well is covering the rim, it means your axles are worn out, but doesn't mean they were underrated. I would still stick with the 5200#.
A less expensive alternative is made by Dexter. On Dexter axles, you may need to do more of the engineering yourself. As I understand it, the Henschen axles bolt right on. The Dexter axles, you may need to make some mounting holes. There is plenty of information in this forum, others have used the Dexter axles.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...0&postcount=37
Old 07-01-2004, 09:55 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Axles

Don,

Did Inland RV give you any help on this? I would think they would stand good on anything you got through them.

Don Pace
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Dick,
I did the axle thing last year, and upgraded also. I do not recommedn it, unless you really load the trailer to the maximum. My 71 Tradewind has a very bouncy ride with regular load. I travel with full water, empty black and grey, full fridge, and full cosets.
i also carry 2 or so cases of bottled water for drinking and usually 1 case of wine..plus bicycles inside the trailer. Concrete freeway expansion joints make towing this trailer with the uprated axles NO FUN WHATSOEVER. I would go with the factory rating, if i was to do it again.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:04 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hopefully next week I'll be going to the local RV shop to have my new Dexter axel installed. They measured and sent specs to Dexter last month, and it's being custom made so it should bolt right up. I'm getting new brakes, easy lube bearings, the works. We'll see how it goes.

We're going with 3500# rating, which is the closest they could get to the actual trailer weight of 2800#. The ride on the worn out axel is harsh, to say the least. Everything inside gets tossed and clothes get knocked off the closet rods. We should have the new axel installed in time for the trip to the VAC rally in CO.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
.. I'm getting new brakes, easy lube bearings, the works. We'll see how it goes...
Hate to sound ignorant, but it has not stopped me from asking questions yet

What is an easy lube bearing? My boat trailer has bearing buddies, but I doubt it is the same thing.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:17 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Dick,
I did the axle thing last year, and upgraded also. I do not recommedn it, unless you really load the trailer to the maximum. My 71 Tradewind has a very bouncy ride with regular load. I travel with full water, empty black and grey, full fridge, and full cosets.
i also carry 2 or so cases of bottled water for drinking and usually 1 case of wine..plus bicycles inside the trailer. Concrete freeway expansion joints make towing this trailer with the uprated axles NO FUN WHATSOEVER. I would go with the factory rating, if i was to do it again.
::Off Topic Rant::
We'll be taking our Safari down to Corona soon for a couple repairs, and we will be taking the I-10 from the "other desert cities" exit near Palm Springs to the 60 just past Beaumont (and a respite) then at Moreno Valley onto the highway of hell that is the 91 freeway. I'm dreading it. If the axles aren't worn out yet, they will be. I honestly don't know which is in worse condition - that stretch of the 10, or the 91. Or how CalTranz can get away with it. They've been like that for at least 13 years.

Sorry, just had to vent.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Gunnyusmc.

Once "ANY" shipment is signed for, that person has the problem of resolving the issue.

Yet is seems that you want us to shoulder what we cannot or did not see.

No freight company is going to pay us, or Henschen, unless the bill of lading is "damage noted."

We are not the freight lines, therefore we cannot be responsible for what they damage. If it's grease caps or the like, that's a different story. Any and all damage, must be noted for "ANY" freight carrier, "IMMEDIATELY." Not later, but "NOW." If not, they will not pay.

Why do you feel it's Henschens fault or ours?

We both disagree.

Advice to anyone receiving a freight shipment of anykind, regardless from who.

Inspect it, "BEFORE" you sign for it. If it's damaged, and you don't note it, your on your own, because at that point, no one can help you.

Sorry, but that's the way all the freight lines work.

Also it's difficult to understand how Henschen or Inland RV can be held responsible, in any way, for someones lack of proper inspection. We can't see it, but the receiver can and does.

And if you really want to be on your own, buy a Dexter axle, and find out the problems, that just began.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Stefrobrts.

Stephanie.

If you think your trailer bounced around with a shot axle, wait until you tow it with the 3500 pound new axle.

Airstream and Henschen engineers drew the line at 3000 pounds, "absolute maximum."

Andy
Old 07-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Andy
Why can't Inland or Henschen pallet the axles for shipment, it seems that is what GunnyUSMC is complaining about, of course I can't speak for him.

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Hi Andy.

When Henschen axles are shipped out, are they not typically crated or palleted for the trip? Do they ship from Corona, or directly from the factory upon receiving Inland RV's order?

Thanks!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
We don't ship the axles, Henschen does.

As a rule, if it's two axles, Henschen will band them together.

Three or more axles, are banded to a pallet.

Not our rules, but their's.

Besides that, what is magical about a pallet? We receved two pallets from Airstream. One had seven rockguards on it and the other had 8 on a separate pallet. Airstream did everything they could to secure the shipment. "YET," the freight lines managed to absolutely crush 6 of the 15.

The basic problem, is that not too many people really care about much anymore, including freight handlers at terminals.

We have received Zip Dee awnings, bent in half.

The solution, is to be aware, to inspect and inspect again.

Welcome to our world of under paid, overworked union employees, not all of them, but enough of them.

The answer? Inspect the merchandise, box or container, as the case may be.

We receive freight from one source or another, every single day. About 1 to 2 times a week, and sometimes more, especially during holidays, the shipment is damaged. It's become a way of life, for all of us.

And it doesn't matter who does the shipping, damage will and does occur.

Andy
Old 07-01-2004, 03:47 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
we replaced our axle this year. we ordered the replacement through inland rv. It was dropped shipped from henschen - i understand that they are made when they are ordered. It was shipped yellow frieght - uncrated and not on a pallet. We had to pick it up at the freight office (or arrange - and probably pay for delievry to house).

On the up side... the thing went in easily and the ride is greatly improved.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Dick,
If you want to avoid problems (and cost) of shipping, and are willing to use Dexter axles, you could pick them up in Wilmington. You still need to inspect them, but you won't be arguing with a freight company. You might also find lots of cool stuff at the distributor.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:49 PM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
The shipper is responsible to properly insure, pack, protect and then ship the item to the customer. At least those are the terms and conditions I abide by, when I ship to people that spend money with me. If there is obvious damage to the carton, then the delivery bill can be marked accordingly, from there it is in the "shipper's" hands to get resolution. It is, however, as Andy stated, solely up to the customer to perform the final inspection. BEWARE - TRUST NOBODY - IT's YOUR MONEY! REFUSE THE SHIPMENT IF THERE ARE OBVIOUS DAMAGES. Filing claims with common carriers like Postal Service, UPS or Fedex is a freaking nightmare!!! Trucking companies have a very wide spread of customer service, from non-existant, to excellent.
I'd say if Henschen ships axles without any crating or protection, then they should have most definitely taken care of the damages. Because, even if a claim was filed in a timely manner, more often than not the freight company would denie the claim due to improper packaging.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:51 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't know about the easy lube bearings, That's just what I've been told. I'll find out when I get it.

If the 3500# axel doesn't perform as it should, I'm sure we'll get it worked out. As it is I'm going to go with our local mechanics, and their advice. Unfortunately I'm not up to doing the work myself, after what I've read about other people's installs of the 'correct' axel, and I couldn't find anyone willing to do it locally. But I have heard from other Airstream owners that have been happy with their Dexter axels. So we'll see how it goes.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote