Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #99
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,918
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
...Disc brakes on a travel trailer are foolish, to say the least. But if your convinced it's OK, then please, for your sake, change your trailers brakes to surge...
Since I feel like being some kind of unwelcomed moderator to this post, might I suggest you meant to say surge brakes?
__________________

__________________
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #100
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
tcwilliams.

Thanks.

Good catch.

That's what I get for working Sundays, too.

It's been corrected.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:44 PM   #101
Moderator dude
 
Action's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,066
Images: 13
Andy

It is interesting that you have so much energy on this issue. I just wanted to point out that you are wrong in making the statement that it is illegal to use surge brakes on travel trailers. And if surge brakes "are foolish to say the least" why are they even acceptable on ANY trailer? And in answer to your question ..... I have taken my 7500 # boat/trailer combo on several trips greater than 500 miles. In and out of this country and over passes above 5000 feet. A trip to Lake Powell takes me from Phoenix (2000 feet) to Flagstaff. (7000 feet)The brakes operate as well as my Overlander. (5000 #s +/-)

I don't have to argue. It's my experience. Which I would guess that you do not have an experience with surge brakes. And I don't want mistruths put out to the rest of the forum.

Your quote:

"In fact, it's is illegal to use a "surge" type brake system on a travel trailer. A few tent campers did have them."

This simply is not fact! -- Guessing here, and not in any state in this country!!!!!!!

And safety is paramount. Properly maintained surge brakes are just as SAFE as properly maintained electric brakes. This is not theroy is is fact! Played out on the highways and roadways day in and day out.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
__________________
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:17 AM   #102
gunnyusmc
 
Gunnyusmc's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 436
Images: 69
Freight Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
A word of caution!! I got my axles thru Inland RV and upgraded the wieght rating of the axles. Henschen shipped them to me by Yellow Frieght and Henschen does not put them on pallets! They arrived looking fine, but after the install, I found that both right brake drums were cracked and the bearings were damaged. Long story short, I had to pay $500.00 for the repairs. CHECK the axles before signing for them too include pulling the drums.
If you want the long story of pass the buck call me at 512-497-5120.

Don Primrose
Yellow Transportation paid $165.00 of the $493.00 damage too my new Axles on 9Jul2004.
In there letter they stated that they believed that Henschen or I damaged the axles but paid a token amount anyway!
Case closed

Don Primrose
__________________
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #103
Rivet Master
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,245
Images: 22
How much scratching is "normal"

How much purely cosmetic damage is thought to be common for an axle shippment (things like paint scratches for example). Should I consider it "normal" to have to touch up the paint when I get a new set of axles?

Thanks,

Malcolm
__________________
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #104
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,940
Images: 59
Malcolm,
Check the 'paint' before you touch it up. It might be no more than a thin coating of black cosmolene. I removed all the 'paint' on mine with a rag and mineral spirits, then repainted with POR-15.
__________________
markdoane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:28 PM   #105
Rivet Master
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,245
Images: 22
Black Cosmolene?

Don,

Never heard of cosmolene (black or otherwise). How do I tell if what is on there is cosmolene or paint? Is it just a question of how easily it comes off? I can tell that in some places the metal was also scratched.

Malcolm
__________________
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 06:49 AM   #106
Rivet Master
 
RivetED's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Hate to sound ignorant, but it has not stopped me from asking questions yet

What is an easy lube bearing? My boat trailer has bearing buddies, but I doubt it is the same thing.

Thanks,
Tom
Bearing Buddies is a Reg. TM &/or patented type of means to easily grease trailer wheel bearings. I've had a couple of trailers with the Dexter axles that had their version of ez-lube bearings. The Dexter E-Z lube design is also supposed to force the grease into the rear bearing (as well as the front) better than others. PLEASE don't jump on this...I'm only relating what I read and this is from memory...be kind!!!
__________________
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:05 AM   #107
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,940
Images: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Don,

Never heard of cosmolene (black or otherwise). How do I tell if what is on there is cosmolene or paint? Is it just a question of how easily it comes off? I can tell that in some places the metal was also scratched.

Malcolm
Thats pretty much all you can do. Rub it with some mineral spirits and make a judgement whether you want to invest the time and effort to repaint it. In my case, it was easy because I already had the paint and free time.

Cosmolene is nasty stuff. It's sticky and waxy at the same time. It's a coating that was used on trucks and military equipment being shipped overseas. The axle paint is not cosmolene, but probably a cheap lacquer.

Calling it cosmolene was a cheap shot. I really think the axle companies use something easy to remove, then the customer choose their own finish, or just let it wear off.
__________________
markdoane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:42 AM   #108
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
To All That May Be Concerned.

Henschen is under many guidelines of what they can and cannot do with paint, in spite of the fact that they are in Jackson Center.

They "CANNOT" use the kind of paints that you can go to Home Depot and buy. We can thank our state and federal regulators for that.

"ALL" bare axles are immersed in a "WATER BASED, BLACK ENAMEL PRIMER."

After the paint dries, brakes, hubs and drums are added.

It is impossible to ship axles and expect them to be scratch free and without sometimes a dinged in grease cap.

However, wooden crates could be built, to totally encase an axle, which would gaurantee nothing more than adding to the cost.

I wonder, how many Airstream owners that may purchase an axle, look under their brand new tow vehicles, for small dings and dents, or scratched paint? Gosh, you would think by now, auto manufacturers would have perfected a way to avoid that.

The simple fact of the matter, at least in todays society, caring for someones property other than their own, is no longer the rule but the exception. In fact many people don't care about their own property.

Find a freight line, any freight line, that will absolutely guarantee scratch free delivery of something as heavy as an axle, and I am sure Henschen would use them immediately. Won't happen.

Any irregularities on any axle shipment should be reported to us immediately, not several days later.

Asking others of "what should I do" only compounds the matter.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of Airstream owners have never dealt with a motor freight carrier. If they did, perhaps they would better understand the system, which we agree, has much room for improvement, but, it just is not going to happen, today, tomorrow, or any other time in the future.

Therefore, we must learn to work with the system, the best we can, and solve the problems as they occur.

Raising devil about it, won't solve a thing.

Perhaps most people don't understand what "happens" when something is shipped motor freight.

We receive many cardboard boxes from Airstream every month. Usually, they arrive perfectly. But, unfortunately, some arrive they they went through a demolition derby. Then the claims process begins. We don't like it either, but we, as well as the rest of us, must work with an imperfect system.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:54 AM   #109
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,940
Images: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
"ALL" bare axles are immersed in a "BLACK WATER BASED ENAMEL PRIMER."
Andy
Clarification, please. Is that 'blackwater' based enamel; or black, water based enamel? LOL
Thanks for the info.
__________________
markdoane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:59 AM   #110
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Don.

It's Monday, what do you expect?

Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it.

I should post a photo of how the axles are dipped.

Actually, you can see the dipping process in the "tour" section of our web site.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #111
Rivet Master
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,819
Images: 3
Surge brake safety

Quote:
And safety is paramount. Properly maintained surge brakes are just as SAFE as properly maintained electric brakes. This is not theroy is is fact! Played out on the highways and roadways day in and day out.
Airstreams mported to germany must be modified to surge brakes by law. There are a number of posts on this forum showing that. The Germans think electric brakes are unsafe!

There are probably fewer possibilities of failure in surge brakes than in electric brakes.
__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:50 AM   #112
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
John.

Surge brakes may be as safe or safer than electric brakes. That is not the question.

The question is, "when a sway condition exists, how can you apply the brakes, when the trailer is equipped with surge brakes?"

The answer, of course is that you "cannot."

Therefore, electric brakes are safer to use, not perhaps because they are better, but because we "can" apply them to stop a sway.

The disc brake system that Airstream had years ago, could also be activated, to eliminate a sway.

Therefore the bottom line, considering everything, the electrics give us more options than surge brakes. Try backing a heavy weight uphill, when you have surge brakes. You can, but you first must install a pin, to stop the surge brakes from working.

Heaven forbid, that you forget to take the pin out, and get back on the highway.

We are presently working on a retro disc brake kit.

We feel, "it's time."

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost of shipping axles... Sneakinup Axles 7 04-24-2004 01:01 PM
Torsion axles Silvertwinkie Axles 4 01-29-2004 09:18 AM
Are our axles undersized ? Mike B Axles 5 09-19-2003 07:21 AM
New Axles for '76 Argosy 26 76Argosy Axles 2 07-07-2003 09:31 PM
Motor Home Tag Axles - winner General Motorhome Topics 0 05-25-2002 05:56 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.