Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2004, 11:06 AM   #121
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Andy,
If I install the colling radiator per your directions, don't I also need a separator and condensate trap? Could I just drain the condensate into the freshwater tank?
Thanks for the hint about the clearance lights!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:23 PM   #122
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Markdoane.

You can run the condensate into the fresh water tank, but first you must do the following.

You must hook 4 six volt batteries in series. The condensate must enter the junction of the second and third batteries.

Then you can attach a plastic hose to the 4th batteries positive terminal, and another plastic hose to the junction of the first and second battery.

The hose from the 4th batteries positive terminal can go to the water tank, through a decompression filter.

The hose from the junction of the first and second battery will have water that was deemed unfit, and therefore separated from the good water.

The theory of operation is that the good parts of the water will flow to the positive side and the bad parts of the water will go to the negative side.

The final test is to pour a glass of water from your faucet and another one from a water bottle in the reefer.

Take the glass of water from the reefer, and drink it.

Take the glass of water from the faucet, and dump it on bare ground. When that water impacts the bare ground, if it creates a dark spot and does not explode, then you know that was the bad stuff, and you should not drink it, except maybe with some 240 proof Kentucky Bourbon.

But you must also make sure that the 240 proof Kentucky bourbon is not labeled "a weapon of mass destruction."

If it's not labeled that way, it's OK to drink, but only if your pushing daisy's.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:46 PM   #123
3 Rivet Member

Well done, well done

our old "jocular" selves are back!

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:16 PM   #124

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator
And if Canavera deletes this post, I will go out to California and spit on his Airstream.
Man can you spit! All the way from the west coast to the Midwest! I'm impressed!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:41 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
My axle experience...

Since this was originally an axle post I thought I should post some information about my axle ordering experience since some of the things I found out were not mentioned in the thread earilier and might have made the process a little less traumatic for me had I known what I know now.

I ordered two complete axle assemblies from Andy at Inland about two weeks ago. He had the ones I needed in local stock so they were shipped to me from S. California rather than from back east (with a savings in overall time too by the way). They came by Yellow Frieght about 1-1/2 weeks after I placed my order. I arranged to pick them up at will-call at the freight depot since I thought that off-loading them at my house might be difficult. The freight depot is only about 10 miiles away and I have a pickup truck so no big deal. I did end up making 3 trips to the depot before I retrieved my axles though. The axles had been mistakenly loaded on the local delivery truck and were not in the warehouse the first time I went there. The second time I was a bit worried by the overall appearance of the axles (dirty and paint scrached here and there) and by the fact that one of the drums sounded a bit too raspy when I tried turning it. So instead of taking delivery I went home and contacted Andy to ask his advice. He suggested that I should take delivery but write on the delivery slip that there was "Possible Internal Damage" and check them out when I got them home. I decided to do that - hence the third trip.

Once I got the axles home and unloaded I pulled off the one drum that seemed a bit raspy to see if everything was OK. There was no sign of any problem internally. No spring had come loose or anything at all obvious. As near as I could tell the magnet that is part of the assembly was just making a bit more noise than it was on the other 3 drums. Since I had no idea that there even was a magnet in the drum I had no idea what to expect about a little noise when I spun the drum at the shipping dock. Had I known I probably would have taken delivery on my second trip.

Regarding the scratches - I would have preferred to receive a set of axles that looked showroom perfect. On the other hand it took me only maybe an hour to clean them up, mask off the areas I didn't want painted and touch up the paint with a can of black Krylon rust preventative paint. The axles now look like what I wanted them to look like originally. The paint that was on them to begin with seemed generally solid and did not wipe off with paint thinner by the way.

I am still not totally convinced that axles should be shipped totally loose like they were but mine seemed to make the journey well enough except for the paint scratches and dirt. I do find it a bit frustrating that something as expensive as a complete set of axles can not be had in showroom perfect condition but I also now understand a bit more why that does not seem to be possible.

I guess the bottom line is that the experience might have been a bit easier for me if my expectations had not been so high to begin with. Also the fact of the matter is that I now have the axles that I needed and all seems well.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:08 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
New grease caps too...

I forgot to mention that all four of the grease caps on my new set of axles were a bit dented. Andy is graciously sending me a whole new set at no charge.

Malcolm
Old 08-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

Malcolm,
Glad to hear that you are reasonably satisfied with your new axle purchase.
Your post just reinforces painfull lessons that seem to happen over and over again. "Trust no one, get everything in writing" A reasonable person however would expect that something bulky like axles would be strapped down on extended pallets. I am taking your experiences to heart, and am ordering my axles from Dexter. They agreed to certify that the hole pattern will fit my trailer, and will ship in returnable wood crates, no extra charge.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:24 PM   #128
1 Rivet Member

1991 32' Excella
BRICK , NJ
I agree with Andy on this, from experience. 22 years ago I had a 71 Phoenix TravelTrailer with surge brakes. Had to stomp on the truck brakes hard to get any anti-sway brake response. Long slow downgrades would not engage the surge brake either unless you stomped hard periodically. If you didn't, the truck brakes would eventually over heat and fade. There was no such thing as smooth gradual engagement except when briskly stopping for a stop sign or redlight, etc. anything out of the ordinary was risky. A very poor set-up. i'll take my Air Stream electric brakes anytime, over surge brakes, thank-you.
91Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:06 PM   #129
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Navigator - are you purchasing the "Torflex" axles by Dexter? Will be interested in your response and how they work for you as I have been researching axle replacement for next year and it seems as tho the Torflex are manufactured similar to the Henschen. Keep us notified if you would.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Another axle source?

I ran across an add for torsion axles the other day when I was looking for something else. Does anyone know anything about the ones shown at the following site?

http://www.southwestwheel.com/sidebar/promo3.htm

A 3500lb axle complete with hubs and electric brakes is listed at $339.95. I wonder who makes them? It was also interesting to note that the swing arms are evidently mounted on a spline and can be adjusted for a range of starting angles.

Malcolm
Old 08-11-2004, 04:19 PM   #131
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Airstream uses 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78
Navigator - are you purchasing the "Torflex" axles by Dexter? Will be interested in your response and how they work for you as I have been researching axle replacement for next year and it seems as tho the Torflex are manufactured similar to the Henschen. Keep us notified if you would.
My 2003 22' International had Dexter axles as it came from the factory. The Dexter shipping tag with Dexter part number was still taped to both axles. They appeared and worked just like the Henschen axles. Except for a bit more hassle in specifying the correct mountings and instial angle, I can't see where Dexters wouldn't work just as well and be a bit less costly to buy.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #132
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I ran across an add for torsion axles the other day when I was looking for something else. Does anyone know anything about the ones shown at the following site?

Malcolm
They are made in New Jersey by .
UCF FlexiRide
Note that on their site, they state that their axles operate on shear with the rubber bonded to the shaft rather than by compression. They claim some advantages for this such as more damping.

I would worry most about the long-term stress on the rubber to shaft bond. Nice thing about Dexter and Henschen axles is that there are no bonds to deteriorate over time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #133
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
John - I am still a bit confused about the Dexter axles. Am I understanding that Dexter makes several types of axle? and the "TorFlex" is one of those that has the rubber torsion suspension? Clarification will help me narrow choices. Thanks.

Also, I would be interested in who to talk to at Dexter re: ordering and the guarantees as noted above.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 08-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #134

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't want to stir up the Dexter debate, just wanted to say that we're very happy with the new Dexter axel on the Caravel. It rode much smoother than the old one, and stuff inside didn't get tossed around nearly as bad as usual, despite many rough roads. In fact it was only after hitting a particularly bad bump that we would find anything out of place. So after our first 4600 miles, I'm pretty happy with it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:58 PM   #135
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Stephanie - Really glad I got to meet you at the Rky Mt. Rally and talk w/you about your trailer (and axles). Glad they worked so well for you on the long trip. We are definitely going to be looking at this replacement for next year as much tossing/turning takes place in our trailer lately. The fridge door came off on a trip w/contents running loose and several items have ended up broken or lost (ie, copper tubing to WH propane and the hubcap (said Argosy on it) came off and was lost). Think its time!!

Old 08-12-2004, 03:07 PM   #136

1968 17' Caravel
Nice to meet you guys too. Remember that a small single axel trailer will always do some bouncing around back there, but I think losing the fridge door is a little extreme! Hubcaps, well, anyone could lose those.

Old 08-12-2004, 03:46 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
... So after our first 4600 miles, I'm pretty happy with it.
As I recall, your axles have some feature to somewhat repack the bearings in place without removing the hub. Have you pumped up the grease fitting yet? I'm just kind of curious about the utility of the setup.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #138

1968 17' Caravel
I haven't yet. They recommended I bring it back for an inspection, check the bearings, and adjust the brakes after our long trip. Since we have one more short trip this weekend, we decided to take that trip as well, and I'll be taking it to them next week for the check-up. I'm going to have them show me what to do at that time, so I hope I can report back with some more insight at that time.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:00 AM   #139
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Dexter axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator
Malcolm,
Glad to hear that you are reasonably satisfied with your new axle purchase.
Your post just reinforces painfull lessons that seem to happen over and over again. "Trust no one, get everything in writing" A reasonable person however would expect that something bulky like axles would be strapped down on extended pallets. I am taking your experiences to heart, and am ordering my axles from Dexter. They agreed to certify that the hole pattern will fit my trailer, and will ship in returnable wood crates, no extra charge.
Dick
Navigator,
Did you ever receive your dexter axles? Did the mounts match up and did they have the shock mounts? Were there any issues that did not live up to your expectations?
Thanks
Mike B
1996 F350 CC PSD
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote