Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
...I don't know if this is good or bad, just thought of posting this when I found it on the net last night. It's being used in boat trailers a lot.
Uwe,

Thanks for the info. My somewhat scathing response to it was to the virtues of the product; It was not to the messenger that provided excellent insight to it's operation.

Thanks for posting the info.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #62
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
. . . . But all the grease will never be exchanged, and the grease seal has to tolerate this increased pressure and never fail. . . .

In defense of the EZ-Lube, they do require a double lip, spring loaded seal to counter the added pressure.
That said, I don't use them, for the reasons stated.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #63
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I suppose that once the inboard bearing fails, it's all over anyways.
This system is not supposed to eliminate safety checks and bearing adjustments, but rather making it easier to grease the bearings during routine maintenance stops.
I don't know if this is good or bad, just thought of posting this when I found it on the net last night. It's being used in boat trailers a lot.
This system is NOT intended for use in a travel trailer, or other trailer that has electric brakes. The seals can fail, causing a lot of grease to enter the brake drum area, rendering the trailer brakes completely useless on that wheel. The idea of the "bearing buddy" is to force grease into the hub, and force out the water that may enter the area normally containing grease when the axle is submerged in water, as in loading/unloading a boat. Most EZ lube or Bearing Buddies have a spring-loaded center that maintains positive pressure on the grease in the hub, to help keep water out.
This is the voice of very recent experience talking. One of my co-workers Tuesday of this week thought this was a great idea, and put these things on his tandem-axle SOB. He then proceeded to pump the whole thing full of grease, and drove down the street about 3 miles and back. When he got back, grease was all up inside his wheelwells, and the backside of his tires. A copious amount was also inside the brake drums, with the end result of someone having to spend several hours cleaning grease from a lot of places that shouldn't have any.
My $1.98, which is .02 adjusted for inflation.
Terry
Old 07-09-2004, 05:49 PM   #64

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If these are not intended for use on a travel trailer with electric brakes, then I assume the system on my new axel, custom built for my travel trailer with new electric brakes, must be somewhat different. I will find out next week. The trailer is at the shop right now.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:37 PM   #65
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
This system is NOT intended for use in a travel trailer, or other trailer that has electric brakes. The seals can fail, causing a lot of grease to enter the brake drum area, rendering the trailer brakes completely useless on that wheel. The idea of the "bearing buddy" is to force grease into the hub, and force out the water that may enter the area normally containing grease when the axle is submerged in water, as in loading/unloading a boat. Most EZ lube or Bearing Buddies have a spring-loaded center that maintains positive pressure on the grease in the hub, to help keep water out.
This is the voice of very recent experience talking. One of my co-workers Tuesday of this week thought this was a great idea, and put these things on his tandem-axle SOB. He then proceeded to pump the whole thing full of grease, and drove down the street about 3 miles and back. When he got back, grease was all up inside his wheelwells, and the backside of his tires. A copious amount was also inside the brake drums, with the end result of someone having to spend several hours cleaning grease from a lot of places that shouldn't have any.
My $1.98, which is .02 adjusted for inflation.
Terry

There is a difference between 'Bearing Buddies" and EZ Lube. The EZ Lube does not have a pressurized (spring loaded) center. In fact, the EZ Lube has a rubber cap on the hub that allows some expansion space.
And I have bearing buddies on my boat trailer and have never had grease all over the wheel wells.
Did your co-worker install the correct seals? Also, I've found Bearing Buddies need to be filled very carefully, and never to the point where the spring loaded center is pushed all the way out against the stop. If they were overfilled, I guess I can understand why they leaked.
All that aside, you're 100% correct that the Bearing buddies should only be used on boat trailers, not travel trailers.
EZ-Lube, on the other hand, have been used on travel trailers.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:14 PM   #66
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
There is a difference between 'Bearing Buddies" and EZ Lube. The EZ Lube does not have a pressurized (spring loaded) center. In fact, the EZ Lube has a rubber cap on the hub that allows some expansion space.
And I have bearing buddies on my boat trailer and have never had grease all over the wheel wells.
Did your co-worker install the correct seals? Also, I've found Bearing Buddies need to be filled very carefully, and never to the point where the spring loaded center is pushed all the way out against the stop. If they were overfilled, I guess I can understand why they leaked.
All that aside, you're 100% correct that the Bearing buddies should only be used on boat trailers, not travel trailers.
EZ-Lube, on the other hand, have been used on travel trailers.
My, umm, co-worker left the original seals, and filled the things up, with a not- surprising result. The package these things came in said "E-Z Lube", and were spring loaded, like Bearing Buddies. I should probably have qualified my blanket statement, although I am still not convinced the non-spring loaded caps are a good idea. There is a great chance of overfilling them, and having a problem with overlubrication. Of course, too much of a good thing is not usually good.
Terry
Old 07-09-2004, 09:36 PM   #67
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
How about the oil filled hubs? I can see a good 90wt doing a great job keeping the bearings lubed and clean.
http://www.championtrailers.com/TURB...FILLEDHUBS.htm
This is a system I was referring to, although this particular one does not have brake drum hubs available, or so it seems. I seem to remember seeing this on a fifth wheel at a campground earlier this year.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:38 PM   #68
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
. . . . . although I am still not convinced the non-spring loaded caps are a good idea. There is a great chance of overfilling them, and having a problem with overlubrication. Of course, too much of a good thing is not usually good.
Terry
I agree completely.
Stephanie, From what I've heard, you need to follow the directions carefully when adding grease to the EZ-Lube, rotate the wheel slowly. Need to replace the seal anytime the hub is removed. Check Redneck Trailer Supply, I got double lip spring seals from them for about $1 each.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #69
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Bearing Buddies .................

Follow the directions. The directions state not to overfill. (Or fill completely.)

Kinda like propane tanks. Too many people filled the tank completely. When the temp went up the tank vented. A venting propane tank is not a good thing. Now there is a law. So when people don't read or use some sense the rest of us get a law.

Please Uncle Sam, protect me from myself because I will not read the directions untill after I have completed the task.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Gunnyusmc.

Once "ANY" shipment is signed for, that person has the problem of resolving the issue.

Yet is seems that you want us to shoulder what we cannot or did not see.

No freight company is going to pay us, or Henschen, unless the bill of lading is "damage noted."

We are not the freight lines, therefore we cannot be responsible for what they damage. If it's grease caps or the like, that's a different story. Any and all damage, must be noted for "ANY" freight carrier, "IMMEDIATELY." Not later, but "NOW." If not, they will not pay.

Why do you feel it's Henschens fault or ours?

We both disagree.

Advice to anyone receiving a freight shipment of anykind, regardless from who.

Inspect it, "BEFORE" you sign for it. If it's damaged, and you don't note it, your on your own, because at that point, no one can help you.

Sorry, but that's the way all the freight lines work.

Also it's difficult to understand how Henschen or Inland RV can be held responsible, in any way, for someones lack of proper inspection. We can't see it, but the receiver can and does.

And if you really want to be on your own, buy a Dexter axle, and find out the problems, that just began.

Andy
Andy, you are kidding me!!!!!!!!!! Henschens is responsible for selecting the shipper. It should be insured. This is the typical attitude I am running into today on many products. There is no way a customer should have to disassemble a product such as we are talking about.

But. we thank you for warning us as to the business practices we should expect on this product. I just toured their factory and was favorably impress. However, that glow is fast wearing off.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:24 PM   #71
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
wingfoot1

They are insured.

That's not the problem.

Henschen, you or I cannot tell a freight company "how to run their business."

They will "ALWAYS" refuse or deny a claim that's several days old, let alone several weeks.

It is up to the receiver, to "note any damage, at the time of receipt."

This is true for UPS, Fedex, Airborne, DHL, and all motor freight carriers, even our Postal Service.

This being the case, why do you feel it's Henschens or Inland RV's fault?

Neither of us can be responsible, for the damage, or for not reporting it immediately.

We have both suggested before, if you have any doubt, then make an exception when you sign for the shipment, AND, inspect it "NOW."

Furthermore, why do you feel that it's up to Henschen or Inland RV, to train and inform an Airstream owner about every little detail, regarding shipments?

Just plain common sense stops the problem from ever occurring in the first place.

And finally, we, the American people, have created this monster, and now we can all live with it. Fair, by no means. But try and change it.

As a final note, we were just in small claims court with Airborne Express. The problem, simple enough, was they would not pay for some claims, even though it was insured for the correct value.

They wanted to pay the "cost" and not the selling price. They could not define cost, correctly. They said, it has nothing to do with "overhead." Really!!! Any CPA would differ. Additionally, they said, just because you insure it for the selling price, does not mean that they have to pay that.

WRONG.

The judge threw the book at them. He stated that if the invoice selling price was fair and reasonable, and insured for that amount, then should it be damaged beyond repair, then Airborne Express "WILL" pay that amount, period.

Did Airborne like it, heck no, but they have issued a check, "in full," to satisfy the judgement.

Now the judge has set a precedent, at least in California. Perhaps the same applies in other states as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 02:17 PM   #72
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Getting back to axles!

This shows how an axle typically attaches to the frame, in case some of you are wondering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axle1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	7784   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle2.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	7785  

Old 07-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #73
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
This shows the torsion arm, brake backing pplate and shock mounts on my 1963 Overlander axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axle3.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	7786  
Old 07-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Kinda of a dumb questions - have to admit I've never looked - do all four wheels have brakes?

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:01 PM   #75
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ken J

If they didn't on your tandem trailers, you might not be here to ask the question.

Back then, when, one axle had hydraulic brakes and the other had electric brakes.

Everything since 1959, I think, is all electric.

Each wheel must have brakes.

However, for a short time, Airstream used 4 brakes on some of the 34 foot trailers. Not good.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks - I did notice on my 58 one axle was hydraulic and one electric - I just figured the electric was an add on - never have looked on the 75.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-16-2004, 04:29 PM   #77
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Kinda of a dumb questions - have to admit I've never looked - do all four wheels have brakes?

Ken
Ken, this one has 2 electric brakes, and 2 hydraulic brakes.
It is a 1963, twin axle Overlander
Old 07-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hmmm, you can have both on the same hub? Or do you mean 2 hubs are elec - on one axle and 2 hubs have hydraulic - on the other axle

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-16-2004, 06:31 PM   #79
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Hmmm, you can have both on the same hub? Or do you mean 2 hubs are elec - on one axle and 2 hubs have hydraulic - on the other axle

Ken
Not on the same hub.
One electric brake axle, ( the front one) and one hydraulic brake axle. God only knows why.
I am shopping for a cool hydraulic disc brake setup, actually, like the thread originator. I think that electric brakes are ok, but not great.
I am hoping that I can find a nice electric over hydraulic actuator that works with a Jordan brake controller. But it will be a while before I should even think about brakes.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:42 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need New Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Not on the same hub.
One electric brake axle, ( the front one) and one hydraulic brake axle. God only knows why.
I am shopping for a cool hydraulic disc brake setup, actually, like the thread originator. I think that electric brakes are ok, but not great.
I am hoping that I can find a nice electric over hydraulic actuator that works with a Jordan brake controller. But it will be a while before I should even think about brakes.
My '64 Overlander International also only had electric brakes on one of its two axles. One of the documents included with the coach when I purchased it was an invoice from when electric brakes were added to the second axle in the late 1960s.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote