Old 07-01-2004, 04:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Hi Andy.

When Henschen axles are shipped out, are they not typically crated or palleted for the trip? Do they ship from Corona, or directly from the factory upon receiving Inland RV's order?

Thanks!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
We don't ship the axles, Henschen does.

As a rule, if it's two axles, Henschen will band them together.

Three or more axles, are banded to a pallet.

Not our rules, but their's.

Besides that, what is magical about a pallet? We receved two pallets from Airstream. One had seven rockguards on it and the other had 8 on a separate pallet. Airstream did everything they could to secure the shipment. "YET," the freight lines managed to absolutely crush 6 of the 15.

The basic problem, is that not too many people really care about much anymore, including freight handlers at terminals.

We have received Zip Dee awnings, bent in half.

The solution, is to be aware, to inspect and inspect again.

Welcome to our world of under paid, overworked union employees, not all of them, but enough of them.

The answer? Inspect the merchandise, box or container, as the case may be.

We receive freight from one source or another, every single day. About 1 to 2 times a week, and sometimes more, especially during holidays, the shipment is damaged. It's become a way of life, for all of us.

And it doesn't matter who does the shipping, damage will and does occur.

Andy

Old 07-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
we replaced our axle this year. we ordered the replacement through inland rv. It was dropped shipped from henschen - i understand that they are made when they are ordered. It was shipped yellow frieght - uncrated and not on a pallet. We had to pick it up at the freight office (or arrange - and probably pay for delievry to house).

On the up side... the thing went in easily and the ride is greatly improved.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:48 PM   #18
Site Team

, Minnesota
Dick,
If you want to avoid problems (and cost) of shipping, and are willing to use Dexter axles, you could pick them up in Wilmington. You still need to inspect them, but you won't be arguing with a freight company. You might also find lots of cool stuff at the distributor.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:49 PM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
The shipper is responsible to properly insure, pack, protect and then ship the item to the customer. At least those are the terms and conditions I abide by, when I ship to people that spend money with me. If there is obvious damage to the carton, then the delivery bill can be marked accordingly, from there it is in the "shipper's" hands to get resolution. It is, however, as Andy stated, solely up to the customer to perform the final inspection. BEWARE - TRUST NOBODY - IT's YOUR MONEY! REFUSE THE SHIPMENT IF THERE ARE OBVIOUS DAMAGES. Filing claims with common carriers like Postal Service, UPS or Fedex is a freaking nightmare!!! Trucking companies have a very wide spread of customer service, from non-existant, to excellent.
I'd say if Henschen ships axles without any crating or protection, then they should have most definitely taken care of the damages. Because, even if a claim was filed in a timely manner, more often than not the freight company would denie the claim due to improper packaging.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:51 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't know about the easy lube bearings, That's just what I've been told. I'll find out when I get it.

If the 3500# axel doesn't perform as it should, I'm sure we'll get it worked out. As it is I'm going to go with our local mechanics, and their advice. Unfortunately I'm not up to doing the work myself, after what I've read about other people's installs of the 'correct' axel, and I couldn't find anyone willing to do it locally. But I have heard from other Airstream owners that have been happy with their Dexter axels. So we'll see how it goes.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:53 PM   #21
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Stefrobrts.

Stephanie.

If you think your trailer bounced around with a shot axle, wait until you tow it with the 3500 pound new axle.

Airstream and Henschen engineers drew the line at 3000 pounds, "absolute maximum."

Andy
???? Why did you recommend 3500lb axles to replace my 2600lb axles then? I don't understand?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Andy,

Not too much magical about pallets - other than they're supposed to give freight handlers a simpler, less unwieldy way to handle merchandise with forklifts or pallet jacks. I totally agree with you about wages of the workers in those jobs - it's hard to hang onto quality employees when you won't pay to keep them.

So it sounds like to me that the way to avoid this issue altogether would be to come to Corona, if I didn't want to risk having to receive shipping-damaged axles. Who's to say I wouldn't keep having to refuse them over and over again, because the freight company damages them over and over again? Shoot, it might cost more to come to you out there, but if it meant avoiding the crapshoot of subpar shipping, it might just be worth it.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #23
Site Team

, Minnesota
Easy lube bearings have a rubber insert on the hub cap. You remove the rubber insert and shoot grease into a zerk fitting in the end of the axle. The axle is bored so that grease goes between the seal and the inner bearing, then through the passage between the spindle and hub, then through the outer bearing and runs out through the opening in the hub cap.
A complaint I have heard is that it completely fills the bearing and doesn't leave room for expansion as the grease heats up. I don't know if this is a problem, as the rubber insert will pop out if the pressure gets to high.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:03 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Thanks Don, I wasn't sure what they were, but the mechanic assured me they were a good thing. I did my old bearings last summer, and found a bad seal that way. I assume even easy lube bearings need to be pulled apart and inspected now and then.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Hey maybe those freight guys are taking the "drop shipment" thing a bit too literally?

Old 07-01-2004, 05:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Uwe.

Your working too hard.

Your records show that you received two 3000 (three thousand) pound axles on July 10th, 2003.

Additionally, a single axle trailer cannot take a huge increase in weight ratings, unless, it will always be heavily loaded.

Henschen says no more that 3000 pounds for the small trailers. We did have a request for 3500 pounds for a small coach, and Henschen refused to build it.

They assure that it would cause a problem. Since they are the engineers, not me, I must respect their opinions.

Andy
Old 07-01-2004, 05:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
... Filing claims with common carriers like Postal Service, UPS or Fedex is a freaking nightmare!!!
Indeed. And they will not let you open and inspect the contents of the package before accepting it, so if you get a damaged box, it's a crap shoot whether or not the contents are all right. After all, that's what packaging is for, right? I've sent back numerous damaged packages with no idea whether the contents were damaged or not. Then the vendor has to pay shipping again to resend it.

Freight/trucking companies on the other hand, allow you to inspect the contents before signing for things. We get a lot of damaged boxes, but the merchandise is usually okay. However, if we don't open the box and check, it is hard to get vendors to take back damaged merchandise on our word. The problem we have with freight carriers is whatever the opposite of consolidation is. We used to get stuff via USF Bestway. Now it starts on USF Bestway, and gets reloaded in Los Angeles on a USF BesthingOrOther, and when I call for tracking, one branch has no idea what is going on with the other, so I now play a new game called 'tracking tag'.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Easy lube bearings have a rubber insert on the hub cap. You remove the rubber insert and shoot grease into a zerk fitting in the end of the axle. The axle is bored so that grease goes between the seal and the inner bearing, then through the passage between the spindle and hub, then through the outer bearing and runs out through the opening in the hub cap.
A complaint I have heard is that it completely fills the bearing and doesn't leave room for expansion as the grease heats up. I don't know if this is a problem, as the rubber insert will pop out if the pressure gets to high.
Don, et al

That's what I thought - Sounds like the bearing buddies on my boat trailer. Their purpose is to keep the hub full of grease to keep water out.

On a land based trailer, I have no idea of why you want grease shooting out into the hubcap, or past the seals to coat your trailer

Past threads indicated servicing wheel bearings in as short as 6 month intervals. Once a year should allow one to notice problems. Am I missing some finer point of use of Easy Lubes?

Tom