Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Need advice on bolt-on axles, new

I'm looking to buy two new axels for a 31 foot sovereign mid bathroom model. I'm terrible at welding and am looking for a direct bolt on solution and the associated measurements.. I'm really new at the whole axel thing, so please be easy on me.. I'm wanting to go disc brakes as I heard their a lot easier to maintain, is this true or not?

Again, I don't want to do any sort of welding or drilling into the frame..so, who has actually replaced their axels with a true bolt on solution, where did you get them, and how fast was the order process (I have seen stories where people returned their axels because either they may have got the measurements wrong or the company got them wrong..)

I have used the mighty google, and came up with SO MANY results and different axels and measurements and what they include. All I want is a bolt on solution with no welding or drilling that I can slap my tires onto when I'm done, and are dependable..

I hope I'm not asking to much here..and thank you.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
Call Colin,
I did mine with just bolt in.
here is a thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ml#post1341236

here is his info.
Colin Hyde
Trailer Restorations
Plattsburgh, NY

(518) 578-7772

Old 01-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
I will look into them thank you very much.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Do you know the tourqe values for those bolts?
Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
I don't think you will find " a bolt in axle" that has disc brakes, Disc brakes use a hydraulic brake system that will be electric over hydraulic. It can be done but you will not have a just bolt up and go system, for that you are going to have to do standard electric drum brakes which have been used for years. Colin is the best source , he will answer your question, and you will get the right axle and at the best cost.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Do you know the torque values for those bolts? = 90# per Colin.

Redid mine in four hours (including lunch break) - ramps and floor jack - I'm 72 and did it alone. Remember to put on shocks before putting up axle - cost me 3/4 hr to redo!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Andy at Inland RV can sell a direct bolt on with advice on how to. Do a search on Inland RV. His axles cost more but they will be a direct bolt on no modifications he is an authorized by Airstream to sell the axles. My son & I did our axles and only had to elongate the bolt holes but that seller no longer does Airstream axles due to all the various problems matching up the year model.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
thanks guys! im going with drum, and will be going with colin. thank you very much!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
May be too late, but I ordered axles for an '88 Excella 25 from Colin last summer.. Delivery was ~ 5 weeks to west coast, and all hardware including bolts, washers, nuts and lug nuts included... Install (thanks to magnificent Vinnie of Northbay Mobile Airstream in Santa Rosa..) was ~ 5 hours, with biggest challenges to be: (1) safely raising trailer to get at axles and underneath it; (2) Undoing propane gas line that is routed through axles and re-installing it; (3) Re-connecting wiring for electric brakes and adjusting brakes; (4) Aligning axles by measuring distances from each side to front center point...

You'll probably need long strong wrench extender to break old bolts/nuts loose, and a hydraulic floor jack to raise/lower axles. Be careful crawling around under trailer and make sure it is anchored securely on jacking devices or blocks....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
+1 for Colin. Mine were direct bolt on replacement. Super easy install by myself. You can get creative with furniture moving dolly's to move them around and position them. Got mine from Harbor Freight for cheap. Jack them into place and bolt them in.

You may, however have a bit tougher time getting the old ones off... I'd suggest start soaking them with PB Blaster well in advance. Also, an impact wrench will make your life easy... again Harbor Freight impact on the cheap spun my old rusty bolts right off.

Great upgrade... have fun!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
I have an mg725 snap on 1/2 inch gun, breaks about 1000 pounds of tourqe, best gun to get, then I have a snap on mg31 for the smaller bolts.. The guns adjust and are much much better then harbor freight, it broke the bolt right away with a 20 gallon air compressor.

That gun was a Christmas present, they retail for 6-700 I think but you can find them on ebay for 200.. This is a very good gun, and will never go back to anything less; I mean I can beak a rusty axel bolt to exhaust bolts now in seconds..not hours.

Did you guys know the way they align these axels, is they used a pipe bender on them to adjust the camber? That's plain crazy/awesome.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeemry View Post
I have an mg725 snap on 1/2 inch gun, breaks about 1000 pounds of tourqe, best gun to get, then I have a snap on mg31 for the smaller bolts.. The guns adjust and are much much better then harbor freight, it broke the bolt right away with a 20 gallon air compressor.

That gun was a Christmas present, they retail for 6-700 I think but you can find them on ebay for 200.. This is a very good gun, and will never go back to anything less; I mean I can beak a rusty axel bolt to exhaust bolts now in seconds..not hours.

Did you guys know the way they align these axels, is they used a pipe bender on them to adjust the camber? That's plain crazy/awesome.
All the axles should have a bend in the middle for camber. That is the was it has been done for many decades.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Oh man- you've got the real deal on impact- jealous here! My HF barely torques 150!

My axles had no adjustment for alignment- bolt up only.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile Bolt on axles

I am 79 yrs. old. Pur axles for my 76 31 ft A.S. from Colin installed my self w/out any help, it is not a hard job, just remember to put shocks on before lifting in place, there was'nt any mods to do , very simple job. Trailer can be lifted by pulling one axle at a time onto stack of boards, just get high enuf to slide new under then lift with floor jack, if you break shock bolts on frame gind off pur. grade 8 bolt, space out with washers. Bill