Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
dekalb , Illinois
Near chicagoland... where to go?

I would like to start pricing and ordering new axles for my AS. It seems like inlandrv is the way to go if you're out west, but I'm in Illinois and would love to not spend a ton of money just on shipping charges. Anyone know a good trusted dealer around here?
paulitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulitee View Post
I would like to start pricing and ordering new axles for my AS. It seems like inlandrv is the way to go if you're out west, but I'm in Illinois and would love to not spend a ton of money just on shipping charges. Anyone know a good trusted dealer around here?
Why not call the Henshen plant in Jackson Center, Ohio near the Airstream plant? They may be able to steer you to a local (Chicago area) dealer that can order the axles you need directly from the manufacturer. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I believe the Henchen plant in Jackson Center closed 4 years ago. See this thread on AirForums. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...sing-59074.htm

Airstream has been buying their Axles from Dexter for 5 years. I do not know whether they will custom make up axles to match your older unit.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you want Dexter axles, you can contact Redneck Trailer, or any other Dexter dealer to order them.
If you want the Henschen replacements, you have to contact Colin Hyde, he is the exclusive distributor of those.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Your not that far from RV parts heaven, the Elkhart area of Indiana. I believe that Dexter/Axis factory is in Elkhart. And it's also fun just visiting all of the RV parts and surplus places in the area. Might be cheaper to pick them up then getting them shipping.

Yes the Hechen plant in Jackson Center is closed, and last year when we drove by it was a empty building with growing weeds.

You should be able to order them from Colin and he can quote you with or without shipping. colinhydetrailerrestorations.com

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Is it significantly more expensive to have axles installed by the Airstream Factory service department, in Jackson Center, OH?

(Probably, a dumb question...)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Is it significantly more expensive to have axles installed by the Airstream Factory service department, in Jackson Center, OH?

Probably, a dumb question...
Yes, it is.
They pretty much will go with OE replacement, and full markup on them makes it kind of pricey.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There is a Dexter distributor on the south side along I80.....but for the life of me I can't remember what community. I have used them for parts purchases several times in the past, including a pair of dressed axle assemblies for my old SOB. Google Dexter distributors and see what pops up in their locator. I was happy with service and prices. Don't know if they install or not.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is the one. I forgot to mention that they went WAAAAAAY out of their way to get me overnighted some parts while on the road once. (My SOB had an odd, small production run drop axle setup which was rather rare)

Brett Equipment is a Nationwide Distributor of Trailer Parts, Hitches, Truck and Trailer Lighting and Related Equipment

There are about five others in Chicagoland, but Brett's service was great in the past.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Near chicagoland... where to go?

Greetings paulitee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulitee View Post
You might try Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa. When I lived in the Quad Cities, I always trusted my Airstream/Argosy repairs to them. They were a long-time Airstream dealer . . . late 1950s through about 2006, and are very Vintage friendly. The last that I heard, they were still an Airstream Service Center. Try this link for their website. They are located about 300 yards off of US 20 in Cedar Falls. They installed the new axle on my Minuet, and I was very pleasantly surprised by the installed price.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I ordered mine through Colin Hyde & picked them up in Elkhart, IN. Like Damon said, it's RV central out there & I had a blast at all the surplus stores!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote