AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #30
Child of the 60's

1965 17' Caravel
Bexley , Ohio
Out here indeed......

About a week ago, I spent around 2 hours posting the results of my Airstream detour. I discovered that the forums servers are not thrilled about 2 hours of inactivity (while writing)....so I got a "Page not found" (lost all of my post) when I went to submit. It's taken me this long to recover from the trauma.

But....I digress. The conclusion to my story was fairly anti-climactic. A/S (Airstream) came to Columbus (about 1 1/2 hrs from Jackson Center) to collect the trailer to take it back to the service center in order to determine how best to deal with the issue.

By way of refresher...the issue was that A/S installed a new axle on my 65 Caravel that resulted in the shocks rubbing against the interior tire rims until one of them they burst. A/S was uncertain how to deal with the issue until they determined what was causing it.

Upon pick up, they tried new 14" tires and rims (the exact tires and rims they use on the new Bambis BTW). The trailer towed back to the service center with little effort (and no sidewall damage). After much examination, A/S determined that the best solution to the problem was to go with these new 14" tires and rims. Additionally, they installed new shocks which were thinner and gave the tire additional clearance. Both of these approaches (new tires and shocks) resulted in almost 3/4 of an inch clearance between the tires and the shocks.

I was counseled by several individuals who suggested that I should not compromise and go with 14" tires as the tires were originally 15" but I was assured by A/S that safety and ease of tow would not be compromised. Indeed, when I took it out last weekend, it towed like a dream.

In addition to the axle replacement, A/S also put in a new black water tank for me. The first time I attached a hose to the trailer, the water lines under the bathroom sink blew. Although there is no way for me to know what caused the lines to blow (they worked flawlessly the prior season), A/S replaced several lengths of plumbing line free of charge. The only thing they were unable to fix was the commode (the supply line had a leak that they could not figure out). I hooked a hose line up last weekend and it worked like a champ.

They also installed a new break away switch, free of charge.

Overall, I am pleased with their solutions to the issues with my 65 Caravel. As a business owner, I am well aware that, despite your best efforts, not everything goes perfectly. The occasional hiccup is expected and the magic is in how you deal with it. I'm as proud as ever in my trailer and I will continue to see to it that everyday takes it one notch closer to perfection.

Thanks to all who gave me advice on how to deal with the issue. Your counsel is valued.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New-14-Inch-Rims.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	14531   Click image for larger version

Name:	New-Break-Away-Switch.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	14532  

Name:	65-Caravel.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	14533  

Old 09-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Those wheels look sharp on that trailer, funtobethad.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-07-2005, 09:07 PM   #32
Site Team

, Minnesota
Glad to hear that everything turned out OK.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #33
Child of the 60's

1965 17' Caravel
Bexley , Ohio
Just out of curiosity....

what has created all of the bad blood on this post? I never created a secondary post (mine began with "Replacing my axle"), someone copied my original post and began one for me. I can't help but think that several people feel the need to grind some axes. Just a note to whoever is involved...CUT IT OUT! A/S is an American legend....bonified! We need to lift her...not hold her down. I may have had issues with the work that was done on my trailer, but A/S and I worked it out and I'm pleased with the results. Let's put this B/S to bed. Thanks all!

P.S. I've included a picture of when I picked the Caravel up from Connecticut. What an adventure!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65-Airstream-Caravel.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	14534  
Old 09-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2bethad
what has created all of the bad blood on this post? I never created a secondary post (mine began with "Replacing my axle"), someone copied my original post and began one for me. I can't help but think that several people feel the need to grind some axes. Just a note to whoever is involved...CUT IT OUT! A/S is an American legend....bonified! We need to lift her...not hold her down. I may have had issues with the work that was done on my trailer, but A/S and I worked it out and I'm pleased with the results. Let's put this B/S to bed. Thanks all!

P.S. I've included a picture of when I picked the Caravel up from Connecticut. What an adventure!!
There never was an issue with Airstream. I would not have spent the last 22 years using and restoring them if they were a poor product.
I am glad that you have taken a fine product and preserved it. I get a thrill everytime I see an older Airstream going down the road or displayed proudly in a driveway. I just had that happen this past weekend.
Airstream, even under Thor and Beatrice, built, and continues to build, a fine product. Just like car dealerships, their are Airstream dealerships that I will not do business with.
I am sorry if it looks like anyone has an axe to grind with Airstream. I do not think anyone on here really does. Sorry if I made it seem that way.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #35
Site Team

, Minnesota
Curiosity

I'm guessing that a moderator must have split up or re-assigned your original post for some reason. I don't have any firsthand knowlege, but I think they are the ones who can duplicate and move stuff.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I know I don't have an axe to grind with A/S...I just didn't understand why a third party got involved with your story and posted pics of your rig, since you never mentioned them to begin with.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
I know I don't have an axe to grind with A/S...I just didn't understand why a third party got involved with your story and posted pics of your rig, since you never mentioned them to begin with.

Frederic
Frederic,
You hit the nail on the head, my friend!
Very strange indeed!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #38
Child of the 60's

1965 17' Caravel
Bexley , Ohio
To all....

I appreciate the honesty. I can't help but think the issue is with Inland RV. I'm relatively new to the forum (at least with consistent posts) but it's clear that there is some "Tete a tete" going on. I never requested a third party to post pictures of my axle. Although I sent them to the party who posted them, they were posted independent of my counsel or consideration. I've posted my story as honestly as possible and feel confident that, if you were to ask A/S, they would concur in the details.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Makes complete sense now...you sent the pics for his suggestions....he probably got irrate, thinking you were blaming him for the problems....I get it now.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 09-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #40
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Strange how a story can be twisted and turned around to muddy up the original story. I'm glad to hear you had the repairs done and their solutions worked out to your complete satisfaction and you posted the results.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:47 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
a good ending to the story. Thanks for all the updates.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

was inland sold? is andy gone?