About a week ago, I spent around 2 hours posting the results of my Airstream detour. I discovered that the forums servers are not thrilled about 2 hours of inactivity (while writing)....so I got a "Page not found" (lost all of my post) when I went to submit. It's taken me this long to recover from the trauma.
But....I digress. The conclusion to my story was fairly anti-climactic. A/S (Airstream) came to Columbus (about 1 1/2 hrs from Jackson Center) to collect the trailer to take it back to the service center in order to determine how best to deal with the issue.
By way of refresher...the issue was that A/S installed a new axle on my 65 Caravel
that resulted in the shocks rubbing against the interior tire rims until one of them they burst. A/S was uncertain how to deal with the issue until they determined what was causing it.
Upon pick up, they tried new 14" tires and rims (the exact tires and rims they use on the new Bambis BTW). The trailer towed back to the service center with little effort (and no sidewall damage). After much examination, A/S determined that the best solution to the problem was to go with these new 14" tires and rims. Additionally, they installed new shocks which were thinner and gave the tire additional clearance. Both of these approaches (new tires and shocks) resulted in almost 3/4 of an inch clearance between the tires and the shocks.
I was counseled by several individuals who suggested that I should not compromise and go with 14" tires as the tires were originally 15" but I was assured by A/S that safety and ease of tow would not be compromised. Indeed, when I took it out last weekend, it towed like a dream.
In addition to the axle replacement, A/S also put in a new black water tank for me. The first time I attached a hose to the trailer, the water lines under the bathroom sink blew. Although there is no way for me to know what caused the lines to blow (they worked flawlessly the prior season), A/S replaced several lengths of plumbing line free of charge. The only thing they were unable to fix was the commode (the supply line had a leak that they could not figure out). I hooked a hose line up last weekend and it worked like a champ.
They also installed a new break away switch, free of charge.
Overall, I am pleased with their solutions to the issues with my 65 Caravel
. As a business owner, I am well aware that, despite your best efforts, not everything goes perfectly. The occasional hiccup is expected and the magic is in how you deal with it. I'm as proud as ever in my trailer and I will continue to see to it that everyday takes it one notch closer to perfection.
Thanks to all who gave me advice on how to deal with the issue. Your counsel is valued.