Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I am currently going through this process. I cleaned off the tags on my axle and there was nothing but a serial number. I ended up calling the factory where the original information had burned up in a fire. They went to the assembly floor to find some old timers. Found a guy who used to build the Excella II's in 1981. I was told to use 2800 lb axles. Dexter told me 2500. I went with the factory recommendation though I would have been just fine with Dexters recommendation. Both are over the GVWR of the trailer. I also called around to several different RV dealers. Most said the same information that the axles should loaded about 55% to 65% of the dry weight.
I'm still waiting for them to arrive - I triple checked the measurements. I'll relax after I see the first one installed.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy
I am currently going through this process. I cleaned off the tags on my axle and there was nothing but a serial number. I ended up calling the factory where the original information had burned up in a fire. They went to the assembly floor to find some old timers. Found a guy who used to build the Excella II's in 1981. I was told to use 2800 lb axles. Dexter told me 2500. I went with the factory recommendation though I would have been just fine with Dexters recommendation. Both are over the GVWR of the trailer. I also called around to several different RV dealers. Most said the same information that the axles should loaded about 55% to 65% of the dry weight.
I'm still waiting for them to arrive - I triple checked the measurements. I'll relax after I see the first one installed.
1981 Excella's were equipped with 4000 pound axles.

Anything less than that will have a very short life.

The absolute lowest "dry" weight for that trailer was 5000 pounds.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote