Old 11-02-2004, 01:07 AM   #1
IH Collector

1963 16' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
Cumberland , Rhode Island
Mor/Ryde suspension system??

Hello,

I have become a recent owner of a 1963 Bambi. I am not familiar with the suspension system installed manufactured by Mor/Ryde. The main shock absorbing component seems to be a thick rubber spring. Was this a standard setup in 1963? Did it prove itself over time? Is it reliable and safe after 40+ years? Visually inspecting the setup, the rubber is not cracked and seems to be in "like new" condition.

After searching the forum I can see no reference to this product used in other Airstream trailers. I would appreciate any information or experience someone could share. Thanks.

Paul in Rhode Island

Old 11-02-2004, 05:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Mor/ryde, if you haven't already found it. Documentation is here, but I don't know if it will cover anything back to '63. I have a Mor/ryde on the rear of a SOB moho and have mixed feelings about it. I like the ride but it has been pretty high maintenance and I see quite a bit more coming, rubber related. If the rubber in yours is original I would be very cautious. It can look good if it has sat much of its life but crumble when it begins to get use. Mine is 14 years old, has been used, and is beginning to show it.

John

Old 11-02-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Mor/Ryde suspension system??

Greetings Paul in Rhode Island!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH Collector
Hello,

I have become a recent owner of a 1963 Bambi. I am not familiar with the suspension system installed manufactured by Mor/Ryde. The main shock absorbing component seems to be a thick rubber spring. Was this a standard setup in 1963? Did it prove itself over time? Is it reliable and safe after 40+ years? Visually inspecting the setup, the rubber is not cracked and seems to be in "like new" condition.

After searching the forum I can see no reference to this product used in other Airstream trailers. I would appreciate any information or experience someone could share. Thanks.

Paul in Rhode Island
Are you certain that your Bambi actually has Mor/Ryde? If it does, it is likely a change made by a previous owner. Beginning in 1961, Airstream started using the Henschen DuraTorque Axles - - these axles are described on the InlandRV website at:

DuraTorque Axle Data

If your coach actually has the DuraTorque, you may very well find that the rubber rods have lost their resiliency which would necessitate the replacement of the axle. I know that both my '64 Overlander and '78 Minuet have needed new DuraTorques to replace their worn originals.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
IH Collector

1963 16' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
Cumberland , Rhode Island
Hello Kevin and John,

Thanks for the welcome and the information. I will jack up the Bambi and check out the suspension system a little better over the weekend, maybe take it for a test tow to see how it tracks and handles.

I'm sure I will have additional questions as I get into the restore over the winter months.

We're looking forward to getting out camping again after many years of being too busy to get away. Time to slow down a little and relax.

Take care.