Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Mjolnir's new suspenders!

Realized we may have an 'axle problem'... therefore we had 3 choices.. Ignore, sell Mjolnir or replace the axles. We chose option 3.

Ordered and received. The axles are in our yard.

This past weekend we prepped the new axles for install. During the process we found a couple of issues... Inland RV and Redneck Trailer Supply resolved the problems. WE are now on point..

Now, to remove the axles... With the AS lifted high enough for tires to clear the driveway concrete, and 'secured' with two jack stands per side. Due to limited space on the 'street side', I decided to pull the axles out on the Curb side. I removed the drums and backing plates from the street side axle spindles... cutting the brake wires 'long'.

To check all wiring, I cut the wires on the curb side, too. All wires were 'stripped' back about 1/4" and ensured they were not touching. I then 'pulled' the Breakaway switch and started checking the power at each wire. The voltage was just over 11VDC... ? I checked voltage source and it was 'good'... 12.5VDC.. I then sprayed some 'contact cleaner' and Corrosion X into the Breakaway Switch... after operating it a few times, the voltage at the brakes improved to 12.46VDC.. not a big drop... but, seems the switch was not making good contact... Moving forward..

I highly recommend spraying the axle mount bolts with penetrating oil... a day ahead is a good idea..

We started with the rear axle on our 34'...

On the curb side we supported the axle by placing a floor jack under the spindle. Then we loosened the bolts and left the nuts on about 2 turns. Left the floor jack under the spindle and, to keep the axle from 'rolling' as it was lowered and moved, I placed a "4 wheel, furniture moving trolley" with a 4x4 on it in a position so that the 4x4 would catch the curb side vertical mounting surface.

We repeated the process on the street side.. but, since the drum and backing plate are removed, we used another floor jack supporting under the axle vertical mounting plate.

The bolts were removed on the street side... CAREFULLY..... STAY out from under the load! Now, slowly, crrrreeeeepppp pace.. lower the curb side axle just till you see it start to move. Repeat on the Curb side.... Just move a bit..

Now, continue to lower each side gently... do not get under the load.. watch for obstructions and wires!!! Continue to lower until the curb side vertical plate contacts the 4x4 on the trolley. You should now be well below the frame.

Ensure the street side is lowered completely, carefully push the lift from the street side and gently tug on the curb side IN COORDINATION... and the axle should roll out easily. Do not 'pull' or 'push' too hard on the floor jacks..

Here are some pics of the process:

Axles - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Tomorrow, the new axles go on... will try to take better pics..
Old 11-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Closing in...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	251947  
Old 11-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Closing in...
Awesome, Channing!! A little scary to balance that big trailer on those little jacks, isn't it?
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Awesome, Channing!! A little scary to balance that big trailer on those little jacks, isn't it?
Yes, my helpers did it and were planning their escape if they dropped them. I promised I wouldn't mess them up too bad if they messed up...... The axles did "teeter"a couple of times when they were out of sync moving them. But with the flat part of the axle mount well balanced on 4x4s and on "large" cup floor jacks it took about 45 minutes to mount the first "furthest aft" and 22 for center... 30 for front as we took time verifying measurement.

Aligning to "rear hole" was the key..and by aligning, I mean we used a crowbar to force rearward and hold pressure as we lowered the axle slightly, then jacked up against the frame...snugly.... Next, using the original washers and new bolt/lock washer and nut (grade 8) we torqued down rear, then while jack was holding axle against frame, drilled forward hole and bolted.

Each axle front/bow slot was most out of alignment... Required drilling most metal

I used a "7/8" step" bit to drill the front alignment/mount hole. I broke the Harbor freight one one on second hole, but once I got a Milwaukee bit, it drilled the rest!!!!

Aft and center were as close to parallel as anyone of the 3 of us could read the tape. The bow (#3) was 1/32" or less to the other two.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Hi Channing,

It seems I am always a few steps behind you when it comes to making repairs on my 34'. I've read this whole thread. Thanks for posting this and linking to the photos of the process. You have helped me numerous times, and I appreciate it!

Last time I jacked up my 34' to grease the axles I notice there was significantly less up/down movement range in the axles' torsion arms. There is ~2"tire drop now, ~ 3" a couple years ago. Since I do not tow this trailer a lot I'm in planning mode, not in a great hurry. So I'm considering my options.

You mentioned Redneck as your supplier. Do you happen to have the material list and/or specs for your axles handy. A receipt with the order number that I could use to request a quote would be extremely helpful. Did you have to fill out the Dexter order form or did Redneck do that for you?

I'm also considering installing a lift kit. I noticed the slots in the axle mounting plate in your photos, and am wondering if a lift kit would work. I've got to study this a bit more. Did you consider this? Your thoughts?

THANKS!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Old 12-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes I have invoice somewhere. Measuring is simple. Instructions on website
I only put added’setting plus a few degrees lift. Axles.

Need more info