Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
lug bolts

I was just finishing the brake and tire replacement job on my Overlander this Saturday and on the last wheel I stripped the threads out of one hole of one of my hubs!! I still have the original style hubs that take the bolts. I was afraid of this happening because when I pulled everything apart some weeks ago I noticed the bolt threads were only engaging about a half inch of the hub threads. I have the original aluminum mags and was wondering if the factory failed to put the proper length lug bolts on the trailer. I will Helicoil the bad hub thread and will try to find longer lug bolts. You can see the shiny part, the only part where the threads were engaging one another.

Has anyone else had this experience? I would be curious to see what lug bolt lengths anyone else has who owns a similar 70's era trailer with the factory mags.

here's a pic of my current lug bolts which have about 7/8" an inch of thread on them.

Chas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0059.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1502  
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I was able to Helicoil the stripped hub thread. I tried to find longer wheel bolts from my local utility trailer supply but no luck. Maybe my A/S dealer can help me locate longer ones or I could install studs in my hubs and get some lug nuts. I wish I knew if they were too short or not. The only thing that is of consolation is it has probably had these short lug bolts on it since it left Cerritos in '73 and as far as I can tell the wheels have never fallen off. But there is always a first time for everything, right?

Any input out there?

Chas
Old 02-18-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
napa?

chas

tried napa?

i think they carry dormann brand replacement lugs and studs of various lengths.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Good idea John.

The NAPA's around here are few and far between but I hear they have a lot stuff that you can't really get anywhere else. They also have a better computer database and can cross part numbers easily, maybe I should have tried them for my replacement shocks?

Chas