Old 02-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Mt Olympic , South Carolina
Just got my new axles

I just received two new dura torque axles today for my 71 Overlander Int'l. I received the shock mounting brackets in a separate shipment with pretty poor instructions on how to weld them to the torsion arms. Should I simply try to replicate the location of the brackets to their location on the old axles? Tried to call Inland RV for help and received none. I've got a welder lined up to do the work, just need the specs to give to them. Also, what has been people's experience with holes lining up on axles/frame vs having to drill new holes? Haven't been out to measure yet...inclammate weather.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
Andy is in Hawaii, have had discussions with him and his office. Liz and Michelle seem to be very helpful. Andy, my jury is deliberating on him. My 95 34' has Henschen axles. Since he was the "distributor" for Henschen would think he could have gotten the hub face dimension correct. The Dexter axles I received were 2" wider than the existing ones on the trailer. 87.13" vs 85.13. The axle shop immediately said they were too wide. Unfortunately I am familiar with changing tires on the side of the road. Clearance with the exterior skin of the wheel well is tight to say the least.
Several conversations later he agreed to take the axles back and get the correct HF dimension delivered.
Suggest you make a cardboard template of the new axle mounting holes and compare it to the existing mounting holes on the frame(outlining where the axles are) in-order to proceed. You probably figured that out previously.
My experience with custom home building ($5 mil++) says measure twice/thrice before cutting.
Many threads extol the virtues of Andy. Unfortunately for me I can't agree.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
What I understand that dexter axles need welding maybe some other mods as axis axles
are strait bolt up except for real old models also I believe they pur. henschen.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Got my axles from Inland in Sept last year and they bolted up perfect. The shop that did the install said that they fit perfect and were easy to mount. Very happy with Inland, both for price and product.
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
Will be looking forwards to quick bolt up when I receive the correct axles on my 95 34' classic
Old 02-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
What I understand that dexter axles need welding maybe some other mods as axis axles
are strait bolt up except for real old models also I believe they pur. henschen.

Any reason Axis don't need mods and Henschens do? Inland RV never specified which ones I'd be getting.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
DeepRock,
2+ yrs ago we installed new Dexter axles on our '89 25' Excella. They, too, came from Andy. We also had to weld the shock brkts on. We used the old axles as a pattern as you suggested for proper location. It was necessary to disassemble the hubs & brake backing plates to properly weld the brkts. The holes matched pretty closely, but a little enlarging was necessary on a couple of them.

Dan
Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have had to do this on a past trailer. I bolted up the axle, used some measurements from the existing, made sure the shock wouldn't bottom out, tack welded the shock mount into place, removed the axle finished the welding and paint touch-up.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepRock View Post
Any reason Axis don't need mods and Henschens do? Inland RV never specified which ones I'd be getting.
Henschen closed its doors about 5 years ago.

I'd call your axle supplier to find out details like this.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello DeepRock:

My experience with Inland RV has been both good & not so good. When I order parts I have always received what I ordered. However, they do have a minimum before they ship.

I did purchase a new single axle from Inland. I was told they had it in stock and to drive out and pick it up. The gentleman asked me where he should weld the shock absorber brackets? I wasn't prepared to answer (assuming they knew where they should be placed). He told me I should have brought the old axle to use as an example. I told him to just use his best guess as to placement. Upon arriving home I discovered the brackets were 180 degrees off. The new shock absorbers from inland needed to go forward from the axle - not aft.

I was told to return new and old axles and they would weld them correctly. They almost got it correct. The new shocks were now going forward but one was so tight it couldn't be compressed. The other had about 1/8 inch of movement.

We had reservations at Three Rivers Dixieland Jazz Festival and needed to get on the road. I drilled a new hole, placed a bolt to fasten the one shock absorber so it would function properly, thinking maybe I could make this one trip before lengthening the travel on the other shock absorber. Naturally, I was wrong. The opposite welded bracket broke off.

Inland did not answer my further inquiry so I now have only the one working shock absorber. There has been discussions about the necessity of using shock absorbers because we already have rubber axles. Anyway, I have been using the trailer with it's one shock for a few years now and it works for me.

I believe you will be much happier with the results if you measure and mark everything yourself. I wish I had! -- Don
Old 02-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
DeepRock,
2+ yrs ago we installed new Dexter axles on our '89 25' Excella. They, too, came from Andy. We also had to weld the shock brkts on. We used the old axles as a pattern as you suggested for proper location. It was necessary to disassemble the hubs & brake backing plates to properly weld the brkts. The holes matched pretty closely, but a little enlarging was necessary on a couple of them.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I didn't consider removing the hub brake assembly but it makes sense I'll most likely need to for the welder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsman View Post
Hello DeepRock:

My experience with Inland RV has been both good & not so good. When I order parts I have always received what I ordered. However, they do have a minimum before they ship.

I did purchase a new single axle from Inland. I was told they had it in stock and to drive out and pick it up. The gentleman asked me where he should weld the shock absorber brackets? I wasn't prepared to answer (assuming they knew where they should be placed). He told me I should have brought the old axle to use as an example. I told him to just use his best guess as to placement. Upon arriving home I discovered the brackets were 180 degrees off. The new shock absorbers from inland needed to go forward from the axle - not aft.

I was told to return new and old axles and they would weld them correctly. They almost got it correct. The new shocks were now going forward but one was so tight it couldn't be compressed. The other had about 1/8 inch of movement.

We had reservations at Three Rivers Dixieland Jazz Festival and needed to get on the road. I drilled a new hole, placed a bolt to fasten the one shock absorber so it would function properly, thinking maybe I could make this one trip before lengthening the travel on the other shock absorber. Naturally, I was wrong. The opposite welded bracket broke off.

Inland did not answer my further inquiry so I now have only the one working shock absorber. There has been discussions about the necessity of using shock absorbers because we already have rubber axles. Anyway, I have been using the trailer with it's one shock for a few years now and it works for me.

I believe you will be much happier with the results if you measure and mark everything yourself. I wish I had! -- Don

Thanks Don. Informative post and good lessons learned. I'm thinking removing one of the old axles and bringing it to the welder may be best.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Just got my new axles

Update. Got the front axle off easily but when we raised the new one into place, we realized the axle was too wide (front to back) to fit the groove between the bolt holes on the Airstream itself. This after realizing I also only received one set of axle nuts and bolts. Inland RV sent out the second set after a few more questions ("are you sure you looked everywhere in the box?"...really?)

As for the groove not being wide enough, I plan on cutting/grinding it down a bit to fit the width of the new axle. It's about 2-3mm too narrow. Any thoughts on this? Anyone else had this problem? Can't really take it anywhere now with only one axle on.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
FWIW on my 76 Sovereign I got her up on 5 ton jack stands (nice and high) and did a lookee before I pulled one off. One set of wheels was within like 1/2" of the body and the other more towards the center.

I ordered it with longer spacing between the mounting plates and everything bolted up fine except I had to put in 3/8" spacers between the bottom of the frame and the top of the axle plate as I did not want to change the factory holes at all. I made the spacers longer so about 2" stuck out further than the axle plate figuring this would help distribute the long on the AS frame.

I don't remember which side was too close to the body of the AS now.