Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
Steamgauge

1966 24' Tradewind
Bonney Lake , Washington
Is there a difference?

I need new axles for my '66 Tradewind restoration, the cost from Inland RV with shipping is 2100.00 these are Dexter #10 axles with 12 brakes. The price is similar to other retailers. My question is are these the same axles that any Dexter dealer will have. I have a dealer 30 minutes from my house and can save a considerable amount of money by getting them there.
steamgauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Dexter axles can be obtained from any Dexter dealer.
However any Dexter dealer is going to look at you funny if you say I want an axle for my 1966 Airstream.

Dexter doesn't accept orders that way and the dealer doesn't have Airstream axle data. Inland (and a couple of others do.

With that said you don't have Dexter axles if the axles are stock on your '66 Tradewind. The original axles were made by Henschen. A company that is no longer in business.
To order an axle from Dexter you will need to know a lot of data.
Width of axle
Load rating
Down angle
Brake drum size
May be spindle size
And I might be missing something as well.

Then there are options like the mount for the shocks that you will have to have welded onto the axle. Change to disc brakes and optional hubs.

Good luck.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action