Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Marfa , Texas
Is axle replacement really necessary?

I have read a number of posts regarding the need to replace axles. I have a 1958 Flying Cloud, with the original leaf spring axle. I lubricate the grease fittings, bearings and inspect the leaf components several times a year.
I am planning to full-time travel soon with some boondocking part of the time. My question is: Is axle replacement really necessary? Appreciate the facts.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would recommend three things.

1. Check that the trailer loaded weight is within the axle rating. My '59 weighs 1600# more than the original dry weight. I replaced the 3500lb axle with a 5200lb axle.

2. Check the bearings and seals and carry a spare set with you. The bearings are probably still available but the seals may be hard to find. Better to get them before you need them.

3. If you are checking the bushings and U-bolts and hardware frequently then I think you are good to go. Re-arching the leaf springs is a wasted effort as it doesn't last more than a few months.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Maybe not

Most older trailers that "require" axle replacement are torsion axles where the rubber rods have lost their ability to flex. Leaf spring axles do not have this issue so if your is still functional I don't see why you would replace it. The leaf spring axle on my 55 Cloud was replaced by the PO with a straight axle in order to increase ground clearance.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Replacing axles are required with the rubber torsioned style, not the leaf spring type. The rubber needs to be flexed to stay useable, parking for long periods will kill the suppleness of the weight bearing qualities of the rubber. Your axle wouldn't need replacing, just the leaf springs if your suspension has sagged and lost travel.
The rubber system will give you independent suspension, where the straight axle will bounce both ends to a point.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Leaf spring axles almost NEVER require axle replacement because the leaf springs are separate from the axle. With the age of your unit, the springs are likely seen better days if they are original. And replacing the leaf springs would be very much recommended at this point. To replace the springs is a procedure of unbolting the springs from the axle and the mounting on the axle and mounting of the trailer. Then bolting in a new leaf spring pack. The axle is reused.

In a rubber spring torsion axle the springs are integral to the axle. When the springs need to be replaced the entire axle assembly has to be replaced. Because there is no way to remove the springs from the axle assembly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A torsion axle has four fasteners to attach to trailer. That's it for parts.

A leaf spring suspension has at least thirty pieces to inspect and or replace per axle. Age and corrosion take their toll, as do misalignment and other woes.

The torsion axle is truly independent and has four inches of travel. The leaf spring is not, and has maybe two inches.

For simplicity, stability and ride quality the torsion cannot be beaten.

No suspension lasts forever. Not at new specification. The leaf spring is a pain to fully disassemble and then rebuild. 5-10 years at the outside.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Marfa , Texas
Thanks everyone for the informed replies. To summaries: 1. it looks like if it ain't broke don't fix it. I should monitor leaf springs, U bolts by periodic inspection. 2. if I do decide to replace leaf springs I don't need to replace the axle. 3. keep the bushings and bearings greased. 5. inspect seals and replace as needed. 4. and most importantly weigh the trailer and check against manufacturer original weight to not exceed it.

Thanks again for the helpful comments.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Marfa , Texas
Old weight scale tickets

I found in my files two old scale tickets. Can anyone decipher the weights? Trying to figure out the load on the axle for my '58 Flying Cloud. Appreciate the help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream 1958 weight.pdf (532.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I believe the receipt represents
TV & Trailer
TV only

The bottom one is the 2382 unit weighed with the TV and trailer connected. TV is 1st # and trailer is 2nd #.

The top one, six minutes later, is the 2383 unit weighed and is the TV only. (With trailer not attached) Ft and rear axles shown. Likely a pick up truck.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Probably no problem, but. If you were lucky enough to find a '58 Cloud once what are the odds of finding an equal? Some where here in the archives are pics of broken axle spindles and the resulting damage from axles of that era. Here and other sources you will find info indicating the steel and dia. of the spindles of this era are suspect and the older they are the more prone to breakage. IF thats true when you consider the age / cost of the components ie. brakes, bearings and the difficulity to find VS the price of a complete new leaf spring X modern and new may be cheaper. An additional point, the boonies put a lot more stress on an X than an interstate.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Broken axle spindles are a rare event as long as the trailer is not over loaded and the wheel bearings are correctly installed.

The notable exception is the early to mid- 1960s Caravels. These trailers had axles that were too light and some of these spindles failed. Yes there are lots of pictures of these on this forum. Most of these axles have been replaced so very few original axles are left.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
as long as spindles are good and springs not collapsed you are fine . brakes should be replaced unless are contemporary. if round magnets replace backing plate assy .
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
Considering what's at stake for the trailer I lean toward replacement and going torsion. I replaced axles on my '73 Tradewind and am now likely to replace them on my '62 Safari.

This is an important part for a trailer, and considering the cost of the trailer--axles aren't that expensive.

You could likely keep what you have, but a better axle with better suspension? Why not do what Airstream did just after your trailer was built: Go torsion.

I am fairly sure that's what Wally Byam would advise. Colin Hyde is today's new axle guy. He can ship you the right axle and you can find someone local to install it. Just Google him, and call his shop. It would at least give you more info.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote