Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
Inspecting '71 Overlander.. Axles and more

Hey Gang,

This is what Ive been looking at to replace my totaled 69 Safari.. I found this in my hood.. Just around the corner!

So, the owner of this 71 Overlander has been nice enough to let me drag it home for a couple days to do my own inspection. The price negotiations have started at $4,500.. So far I have found plenty that needs attention. I know, I would find something in any old AS that would need attention. I haven't made it though all systems.. In fact im just getting started, and heres what I have found.

A/C housing is busted up and a/c does not blow cold

Fridge does not get cold on AC, haven't tried to light it yet.

Awning mount points are loose, material old.. should come off.. before it blows off!

Oven has been removed (not a big deal to me)

A few small pieces need replacement..

Overall in good condition in my book.. Good body, good interior.

But heres the big one I know so little about.. the axles! Ive been reading on this site and some links from here.. Im thinking they are tired. Im going to go out and put the floor jack under it next.. but heres a few pics for you Airstream vets out there. Any help is appreciated.

I like it, but wish it was a 69/70 model year with wood interior! I really dont like the checkered floor!

Thanks everyone,
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 005.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	110802   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 006.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	110803  

Name:	airstream 007.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	110804   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 008.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	110805  

Name:	airstream 009.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	110806   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 010.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	110807  

streamahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamahead View Post
Hey Gang,

This is what Ive been looking at to replace my totaled 69 Safari.. I found this in my hood.. Just around the corner!

So, the owner of this 71 Overlander has been nice enough to let me drag it home for a couple days to do my own inspection. The price negotiations have started at $4,500.. So far I have found plenty that needs attention. I know, I would find something in any old AS that would need attention. I haven't made it though all systems.. In fact im just getting started, and heres what I have found.

A/C housing is busted up and a/c does not blow cold

Fridge does not get cold on AC, haven't tried to light it yet.

Awning mount points are loose, material old.. should come off.. before it blows off!

Oven has been removed (not a big deal to me)

A few small pieces need replacement..

Overall in good condition in my book.. Good body, good interior.

But heres the big one I know so little about.. the axles! Ive been reading on this site and some links from here.. Im thinking they are tired. Im going to go out and put the floor jack under it next.. but heres a few pics for you Airstream vets out there. Any help is appreciated.

I like it, but wish it was a 69/70 model year with wood interior! I really dont like the checkered floor!

Thanks everyone,
Jason
Jason.

From your photo's, it does show that the axles are very tired, as the torsion arms are going uphill as they go rearward, and I would be sure that the trailer is unloaded, which will make them even worse, when loaded for travel.

Most AC problems are a relay or a condenser, both of which are not expensive.

I cannot see what model AC you have, but if it's an older Armstrong, replacement shrouds are available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
Andy,
You were they guy I was hoping would respond. The picture was taken empty and not hooked up to a vehicle. It seems you can pretty well count on replacing the axles on these old Airstreams if their original..? Im now headed out with my floor jack.. I didnt want to spend a lot more time crawling around this thing if the axles will be a "deal breaker". I plan to call a couple trailer shops to get quotes, but from your experience what is a ball park? breaking into parts and labor, as I may do it myself if I end up with this thing.

The a/c is an older Armstrong.

Thank you very much for your help. Im going to try and buy another day to come up with my offer or reject it.

Jason
Old 09-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Axles Replacement cost

Hi Andy is not allowed to post prices so I will tell you what it cost me for new axles $750 each for drum brakes. It would be more and require some modifications to use the axles with disc brakes. I didn't but the disc brakes because they won't fit with my aluminum wheels. They would fit on your potential purchase with the steel wheels. I can't tell you about labor costs because I did them myself. Andy will tell you it can be done in abour 4 hrs so take it from there. Good luck.
The counter top in the kitchen is a hideous green, you might wan't to think about changing that.
I see it's a rear bath model make sure you check for rear end seperation and leaking from the rear bumper area. That would be a deal breaker for me and not axles.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
Thanks for the info.. $1,500 for parts.. thats about what i would have guessed. Im reading more about the axles and the rear end seperation.. Ive looked under the fiberglass basin area (from rear access panel), jumped on the bumper.. floors are really clean and solid everywhere ive been able to look. Ill keep on reading. Thanks guys.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Thanks Chris.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
How long ago was that Chris -- I'll need to budget the same for mine (I have a '71 27')?

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
How long ago was that Chris -- I'll need to budget the same for mine (I have a '71 27')?
They are listed on Inlands' web site....

Inland RV Center Inc.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
After restoring my unit,
I found replacing floor in the bath was the most challenging.
Replacing the axles were straightforward.
Polishing the skin was the dirtiest job.

The two biggest turnoffs to me are a rotted bathroom floor and dents in the end caps.

Good luck in your purchase decision.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
Shawn I just installed them yesterday and ordered them in July add $24 for new bolts and $120 for new shocks. $1644 total plus freight which will depend on your location. OK city is a lot closer to California than Ontario Canada and on the right side of the border so no customs/broker fees.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Steamahead
I bought from Andy also. I was fortunate that I could pickup my axles FOB at the Factory. The price quoted is what I paid. The installation is straight forward unlike others OEM axles are ordered from the serial number and fit exactly where ya take out the old ones. Andy call me on the phone several times to make sure I received the mounting hardware(bolts,nuts and washers) and to double check that I had received the correct axles.
I know that 1500 is alot but the easy of installation is worth the extra money.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I bought a used AC unit for $350 at a RV salvage yard. Dropped in the new purchase and wired up. The most difficult was taking out the old one that was about twice the weight of the new one. I also added heat strips because the funace isn't needed in AZ.

My opinioin for price, that's no more than a $2000 trailer. (plus a lot of work) I bought mine about 9 years ago. The way the market has been I would guess we are back to those prices. And I bet he won't sell for that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
Well.. thats exactly what I thought.. and offered. $2K. Ive been dealing with the owners brother.. a middleman... Im pretty sure he is not interested in selling it for that.. But thats what I feel its worth. If it was a 69 I would go a little more $$.. Im going out to hook up and tow it back where I found it! Thanks everyone! Ill keep searching.

Jason