Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I thought my new axles were bent!!!

I had a new Dexter axle installed on Friday, drove it home (about 40 miles) and parked it. This afternoon, Monday, I crawled under the trailer to marvel at my new axle and found that it was bent! I'm ticked! The idiot that installed it evidently used the axle as a jack point.
I won't accept this, but my main question for now is it safe to tow? I have two trips planned in the next 4 weeks - one about 500 miles round trip and one about 200 miles round trip, all on Interstate highways and some well paved state routes. A replacement will take at least 4 weeks, more if I get into a p-ing match with the RV outfit that did the job (I'm not afraid of that) Is it safe? It certainly won't last 20 years safely will it?
Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent axle 8_26_2013 445 pm.jpg
Views:	1836
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	194260  
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
I had a new Dexter axle installed on Friday, drove it home (about 40 miles) and parked it. This afternoon, Monday, I crawled under the trailer to marvel at my new axle and found that it was bent! I'm ticked! The idiot that installed it evidently used the axle as a jack point.
I won't accept this, but my main question for now is it safe to tow? I have two trips planned in the next 4 weeks - one about 500 miles round trip and one about 200 miles round trip, all on Interstate highways and some well paved state routes. A replacement will take at least 4 weeks, more if I get into a p-ing match with the RV outfit that did the job (I'm not afraid of that) Is it safe? It certainly won't last 20 years safely will it?
Here's a pic.
Umm...they're supposed to be that way...
Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
I am not 100% sure about this , but I recall another thread on this same issue ... You might do a search on "bent axles" ... If I recall, that bend is supposed to be there.

Someone who actually knows, will surely chime in, so you might wait to fire the first volley till you know for certain
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
If that bend is in the middle, that is how torsion axles are manufactured. The angle of the bend is selected to provide the proper camber.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Dryfly
The Dexter axle I put on has a factory bend (center) in it.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Bow not bend he is right it is bent and it looks as though it was done by a jack! The bow is spread over the length of the axle not left of center and I am sure he saw the bow before installation and knew that it did not look like that! Good luck on the service confrontation I usually lose my patients and the laws forcemeat arm get involved!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Read about the bend here Trailer Axle information / how to
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
The bend is not in the center, but about 1' off to the driver's side. If you look at the photo, you can see where a jack was placed under the axle and it bent the axle, and the steel is deformed.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Without that bend, the wheels would have no camber. It's a design feature.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
The bend is not in the center, but about 1' off to the driver's side. If you look at the photo, you can see where a jack was placed under the axle and it bent the axle, and the steel is deformed.
That is definitely not right. I would think the tire on that side will wear bad.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
That doesn't look like a normal bend or what I would term a curve. That looks like a bend and a twist. The picture is dark but it certainly looks not like a curve but more like an abrupt bend.

You can probably get it fixed with an alignment if it is bent. We had our trailer aligned 2 years ago to correct a wear problem with a stock set of Henschen axles I installed when we first got our trailer.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Well, this piqued my interest and I had to look at my own axles. While ours have a slight bend at the center they don't look like yours - that is not right, although I don't pretend to understand the implications, sorry.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
If it was in the center and both axles were the same then it is probably the factory bend. If it is off center, even if it was done at the factory, it is "NOT" correct. The bow is designed to allow for the flex in the axle when the weight is put on it. The amount of bow varies for the weight and the distance between the mount and the hub face (also varies by wheel offset). The heavier the axle, the less distance you can have between the mount and the hub face because that is leverage against the axle.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Here's a pic.
Dexter axles are bent to align them.

That bend can be in the middle or to one side.

The only way you can check for damage, is to check the alignment.

There should be a small tow in and there should also be a slight camber, which means the top of the tire should stick out a little further than the bottom.

The toe in means that the front of the tires should be slightly pointed inward.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Bent, not bowed.

Hi, this doesn't look like the factory bow, it looks like it has a nice kink in it. Time for another new axle. Possibly could be fixed, but I wouldn't want it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Like Andy said, have the alightment checked. One of my OEM axels looks like a pretzel but it tracks true. If the axel came that way, then make the supplier replace it. If the installer did that make them pay.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Didn't you call the shop right after you noticed it to find out what happened?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
It sure looks like there is a dimple right at the bend point, I have not seen an axle bend that was not concentric across the entire length. Our 63 Safari was and so is the Classic....no dimple.

Bob
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
My guess is that it was a jack used to jack the axle up in place for mounting. Those suckers are heavy. I had a hard time putting mine up in place as my drive was a slight slant and I didn't have a floor jack. It was me on my back bench pressing them in place while my son stuck in the bolts. NOT an easy task, and it took a while for my shoulders to feel better, but I have no dents in mine. It was probably a situation where the didn't see it lining up the holes and jacked a little too much to force it into place.

Since these are rubber rods, it probably has very little impact on the long term workability, except for alignment. Definitely safe for your trip, but you may have uneven wear on the tires.

Rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Now that I've calmed down and read all you or replies, ill crawl under there when I get back in town with a straight edge and tape and really scope it out. I spoke with the installer who assures me this came from the factory this way. Thank you all for looking at this for me, and thank you all as always for your input and advise. I'll post what I find on Friday - hopefully it's just positive camber from the factory, and I was mis-interpreting the visual data